How to clone a black remote fob .... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How to clone a black remote fob ....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric355, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    We are getting closer.

We are trying to both read and to rewrite the info to the eeprom w/o having to remove it from the board. The leads are sooooo small and damage is so likely, it would be better to read and to rewrite while the eeprom remains on the board.

Almost there. Don't give up.

I agree seneding two fobs to Europe is a big risk but that was a nice gesture on Eric's part.

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    We are getting closer.

We are trying to both read and to rewrite the info to the eeprom w/o having to remove it from the board. The leads are sooooo small and damage is so likely, it would be better to read and to rewrite while the eeprom remains on the board.

Almost there. Don't give up.

I agree sending two fobs to Europe is a big risk but that was a very nice gesture on Eric's part.

3. garybryan

garybryan Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Denver
    hey guys. well i'm another one that bought a car with only one remote. but i was crazy enough to buy the full set from ferrari. i really don't wish to clone,
    but would like to program the new ones myself. the procedures with the pin code & key cycles don't seem to work. after many attempts i'm left frustrated. any help on this would be great

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Describe in exact detail how you are doing it and I will tell you where you are going wrong. I have done it a hundred times.

5. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
  6. garybryan

garybryan Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Denver
    to rifledriver, thanks for the reply. i have 3 new remotes including a red one. been using the directions from the 360 repair manual. enter the pin wait 2-20, then turn key on-off 10 times, on the 10th on wait till the led turns off & turn the key back to off. turn the key back on for the 11th time: the led will start flashing, then press the button on the red master remote. eric355 had a slight variation on this in a earlier thread. tried this as well. that one was on the 10th key cycle. any help will be greatly appreciated

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The specifics are very important and you have not given me those. Also the procedure as written is not totall correct. If you get specific I can help.

8. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I have the same problem - only one black remote for my 2001 456 and I do have the PIN code. Ferrari of Houston quoted me $400 for the set of three remotes (1 red, 2 blacks) but I am concerned about programming them. What is the procedure?

My other option is to buy another black one off of e-bay like someone else did but then that remote has to be programmed. If GCalo can come up with a method that would be great.

Which way should I go?

p.s. I bought the car in December from Ferrari of Silicon Valley and they are no help!!!! They claim the previous owner didn't give them the remotes and the previous owner claims he did.

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    We can do it, but we are trying to refine the process a bit to make it easier.

Stay tuned. We are only a few days +/- away from full success.

10. gareeb

gareeb Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Garee
    I bought a set a from the dealer after my only remote died.

When you are making the additional 10 key turns to on make sure that you wait for the LED to turn off with each key turn to on before you switch the ignition to off.
    It took me about 4 times before I got it exactly right.

11. garybryan

garybryan Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Denver
    yes, when i proceed thru the 10 cycles the led goes off, on the off cycle & on steady on the on cycle. it's when after the 10th cycle is when i'm having problems. procedure says after 10th on wait for led to switch off & turn key back to off, turn key on for the 11th time the led will start flashing. press button of the new master remote. this is my glitch, led will not respond after 10th cycle. tried many times with no success. earlier thread had a slightly different version, tried that as well with no success. thanks for any input.

12. gareeb

gareeb Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Garee
    #62 gareeb, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hmmm? The only thing that I can think right now of is that the PIN was not accepted initially. Can you start the car with the old PIN? Are you waiting more that 2 seconds after entering the PIN before you start the 10 key sequence?
    Here are the instructions I have
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have probably performed that procedure a hundred times and I have never seen it work after turning it on and off 10 times. I have had to turn it on and of 20 or more on average.

First enter the pin code as described and try to start the car. That will tell you 2 things. One, it will tell you if you have the correct PIN. Also it will tell you if you are performing the code entry correctly. Most fail in the second part. After you have learned to enter the code correctly and can get the motor to run enter the code again and continue turning the key on and off until the lights behave as described.

It works, as I said I have done it many many times.

14. gareeb

gareeb Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Garee
    I was going to say that he should add a one or two more turns and see if the Led starts to flash. I may have had an extra turn in my setup as well.

15. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    I am unfortunately failing in this process as well. In addition, I had my Ferrari mechanic from FoW (now in his own shop) try as well for 3 hours. We definitely get the solid LED. I will try tonight to see if it starts (based on the above post). So, here's a few simple but specific questions:

1. I take it from the above post that getting the solid LED does NOT in itself confirm that you have entered the right code - true?
    2. Once you have the solid LED, is there any specific timing on the key cycling other than waiting for the LED to go out before turning it off (i.e. once off, do you turn it back on immediately, or wait 2 seconds, or does this not matter)?
    3. For the test above related to starting the car, at which point do you try an start it? After entering the last digit, you wait and then turn the key and see the solid LED... do you simply continue turning the key at this point and try and start the car?

Thanks for any hints and tips on this process.
    Dave

16. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    Okay I finally got the system re-programmed with the new key fobs. :D :D So, let me see if I can help others that still have NOT had success with the re-programming.

1. I strongly suggest you do what was suggested in the posts above. Once you have the key code in and the LED is solid, try and start the car. If the code is correct, you should have disabled the alarm system and the car should start. If you do this, then at least you know you have the right code and you've 'unlocked' the system.
    2. The key thing I did differently tonight that was different from the previous 4 hours of attempts was alter the timing. In the past, I was deliberately slow to be sure the system was 'getting it'. Tonight, once I got the solid LED, I waited for it to go out, and as soon as it went out I IMMEDIATELY turned it back on again - literally as fast as my fingers would allow. The Ferrari procedure I had in my hand said it should be on the 12th cycle that it starts to flash, and that is EXACTLY when mine did flash.
    3. As soon as it flashes push down and hold the new remotes, starting with the red remote until the light flashes quickly, then the two black remotes.

If anyone is having a problem and wants to verify their process, send me an e-mail while this is fresh in my head at [email protected]. Be sure to put something in the Subject line about Ferrari Key Fobs. We can go from there.

17. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    Well, I hoped for at least one "Hooray"... :( :(

It's a huge relief to actually have 3 working remotes. I had visions of the old one failing when I was 2 hours from home.

18. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Karting

Dec 11, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave Kirk
    BTW, the Ferrari Bulletin I looked at said it would be the 12th key cycle, and that's exactly when mine happened. So, no surprises that it might take a few cycles beyond 10.

19. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    Desperate One Fobber here... any good news??? Thx

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Sorry I have been extremely busy.

I need a little more time, beacuse I am next week moving my office.

So soon after I will get to it.

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just picked up a extra black fob. Time for a re-program to the existing ones---

22. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just a note on this. FNA has reduced the price of the alarm ECU kit which includes all three remotes. This is now around $740.00 US. You can only get this at a dealer, but at least you will have a new ECU and all three remotes and a new code card.

23. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Any updates, have only one black remote but do have the code....

24. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I only have one black remote as well, and I have the PIN. I'd like to have some spare remotes if anyone is doing that.

25. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX

Time for cloning guys, whatever you have the code or not .....