How to clone a black remote fob .... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How to clone a black remote fob ....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric355, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I was actually thinking of changing your red fob match your black fob. You could then use the pin to program the new black fob (with a red case) so that the system recognizes it.

The process is pretty easy. You red the code from the black fob and program a new chip. Then replace the chip in the red with the new chip. Voila, a new black fob for your system, but it has a red case.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- I am now thinking more along the idea of cloning a red key fob once I get my new set of three fobs from Boardwalk.

Eric- I believe only the red fobs have a PIN code plus an identifier and the black fobs have only an identifier. Have you ever cloned a red key fob? If I were brave enough to send you my new red fob (have not received it yet) and the spare one, that would them give me a complete back-up set with the same PIN.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    There is no problem to clone a red fob with the content of a black one. Obviously it is no more a master but a simple black with a red case, and works as any other clone.
    If you want to do it, PM me, I will give you all the details.

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- I am talking about cloning a red fob from a red fob. Possible?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No problem Terry, this is possible as well.
    Eric

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Great. When I get my new set and program the ECU to accept them, I will drop you a PM.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. jayz

jayz Formula 3

Jan 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Jess
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jay- Do you have the PIN for the red remote and how much for the key if you still have it?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. 360Rick

360Rick Rookie

Mar 4, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have 2x black fobs bought in USA. Can the crystal be changed to work with a UK Fcar?

10. Mr Aryan

Mr Aryan Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Mr Aryan
    x2..:p

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Where will you get the crystal or whatever it is that changes the frequency without a donor fob? If you have a donor fob, you do not need to change the frequency. Probably better off selling your US black fobs and using the money to pick up European fobs. If you have a black fob and the original Alarm ECU PIN, you can get a set of three new fobs from Ferrari and reprogram the PIN and fob IDs into the Alarm ECU. ~$500 here, not sure about Europe/UK.

Yell if you want to know how to do that.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is there a simple way to tell if a used black fob bought off Ebay for example is Euro or US spec ?

Also if you have your car's PIN can this used black be reprogrammed to suit your vehicle by this on/off procedure or does it need cloning ?

Or I guess to put it another way can new unprogrammed black fobs only be programmed once

Thanks

13. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    What if you don't have the PIN? No joy?

For the $500 you only get three fobs? No new alarm ECU?

14. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    If you send your remote to Eric to have it cloned, do not place a value on it. I Fedex'd mine but I decided to put a value of $2000 on the package just in case they were lost and I'd have to start over with everything having no remotes at all. French customs wanted 20% or a $400 tax to be paid before they would release it. Not good. So, I had Eric refuse the package and send it back to me. So, now I've returned it to Eric with a minimum value and am using the US Postal Service as it is supposed to go through customs easier also. Or so I've been told. It will also take maybe a week or 10 days to get there using the US Postal Service. So they're on their way again and I'll see how that works.

Jay

15. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    After all the previous issues with having to send my remotes to Eric twice because of the French tax snafu, I finally received my cloned remote today.

Eric sends you back your remotes with a sheet with the full instructions as how to proceed. Mine works fine and here is all I had to do to put it into operation.

I locked the door with the key first, then opened it with the orginal remote, waited, then did it again. Then I locked the door again with the key and started pressing the clone remote. Took 12 presses and the door unlocked. Then I key locked the door again. Then I took the original and pressed it 12 times and the door opened. Started it up and all is right with the world again! Took all of 3 minutes. Now I have a backup.

There will not be any problems with having Eric do this for you. First rate job and very interested and concerned that all works properly. Highly recommended.

Thanks again, Eric

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #116 tazandjan, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did not realize there were still unanswered questions on this thread. Speak up again and Eric or I can answer them for you.

Jay- Glad you now have two working remotes. Great sense of security.

Incidentally, here is a primer on the alarm system and reprogramming remotes that should answer most questions.

Eric- Please feel free to edit if you see anything incorrect. I keep editing it and adding material.

Here are a couple of PIN photos I may add to the document. Poor sucker had two zeros in his PIN.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    I have no experience at all in reprogramming new fobs. I let you this part of the job Terry :) BTW, one thing I am still wondering, do you know if it is possible to have the ECU learn one or 2 black remotes which are not part of the set associated with the red remote?

I HAVE two zeros in my PIN :( .... and have even never checked that it works. I don't like at all the idea of switching on/off so often and so quickly all the electronic stuffs of the car. They could have found a more clever solution. Nothing good to expect from that ... except to start the car if I have no other choice :);

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Yes, you can take any two working and correct frequency black remote fobs and program the Alarm ECU to accept them using the red remote fob. The Alarm ECU memorizes the ID and PIN from the red remote, even if it is the same PIN alredy in the ECU (ie, using the original red alarm fob) and then memorizes the ID codes of the two black alarm remotes, one at a time. Once the Alarm ECU is programmed to accept the three new alarm fobs, it only uses the alarm fobs' ID codes to arm and disarm the system.

That way if you lose or break a black alarm fob, you can always program replacement black alarm fobs into the Alarm ECU, once you find them. Max number is one red and two blacks. I tried to program the ECU to accept one red and three black alarm fobs, and no go.

I highly recommend everyone have an original Ferrari leather alarm fob cover for each of their alarm fobs to prevent them from being damaged.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    OK Terry. Thank you.

20. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    ...add another happy clone to eric's list. just got my cloned fob back yesterday from eric, six day total turnaround by fedex. works perfectly as described. another worry off the list.
    bob

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Good news on having two fobs. There was a set of two black fobs plus a leather fob case and a cut key that just sold on E-Bay. I bid on them, but they went for too much money for me. Especially since I already have two spare blacks and a spare red remote.

Eric- Brian Crall (Rifledriver) disagrees with me on using the red remote to program black remotes not part of the original set of three. He says only the black remotes from the original set will work. So far, have not been brave enough to try and see if he is correct. Trying to think technically why one of us is correct, but cannot see it yet. Unless there is something like consecutive ID numbers in the set, and the ECU looks for that when accepting IDs during self learning.

I have done one Alarm ECU reprogramming and Brian has done dozens, so we know who has the experience going for him.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Terry, not sure what you are saying I said but it does not sound familiar.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #123 tazandjan, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    Brian- Did I misinterpret what you said? Hope I did, because the ability to program the ECU to accept black fobs if one is lost or damaged is a good capability to have.

"The reds special job is done the day the car was built. Treat it like the rest because it is."

"The PIN will do you no good in that endeavor. The PIN ONLY allows reprogramming of the immobilizer in the car and that reprogramming needs to be carried out by the red fob. The car will ONLY react to ONE MATCHED set of fobs. There is no way to get the car to accept a mismatched set.

What you need is someone who can modify your replacement fobs to transmit the same code or information the original one does."

Taz
    Terry Phillips

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #124 Rifledriver, Nov 18, 2009

That is all correct. Fobs are a matched set and the immobilizier will only recognize one matched set. That is why they need to be cloned. They all need to transmit the same signal because the reciever will only respond to that one signal. The cloning is making mismatched fobs transmit the same signal as the original. The red fobs job is to teach THAT signal to the reciever but once the reciever learns THAT signal it will ignore all others. It has no other special function.

As you said, I have reprogrammed quite a few cars and once a reciever has learned the new ones the old ones no longer work.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #125 tazandjan, Nov 18, 2009
    Brian- One question. Have you ever tried to reprogram an Alarm ECU (immobilizer) with a red fob for which you had the PIN, and two black fobs, which were not part an original three fob set?

That is the really critical question. Ferrari uses the term "red master" in their tech data, and that term means nothing unless the red fob can perform functions after it leaves the factory.

In the factory, the Alarm ECU already had the three fobs' IDs programmed and the red fob's PIN programmed without having to do an Alarm ECU reprogram. They came matched. The same thing happens if you buy a new set-up of an Alarm ECU and matched set of three fobs. No programming is necessary. Install and they work. $1800 or so is a bit expensive, though.

Arcane stuff, at best. Would be nice to understand it completely, however.

Taz
    Terry Phillips