How to clone a black remote fob .... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

How to clone a black remote fob ....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric355, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #126 Rifledriver, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    The red fob WAS used. It was used to program the reciever the first time. It can also be used to program a replacement reciever. Those break too.

How do you program a black fob? I have programmed the reciever with new sets of fobs many times and the blacks never enter into the operation.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- I think we have it now. After the Alarm ECU is put into self learning mode by entering the original PIN and 10 or so off-on-off cycles with the ignition key, and the LED starts flashing, the red alarm fob is pressed, and the ECU will then accept the PIN and the ID number from the red alarm fob. When that happens, the LED starts flashing rapidly. After you stop pressing the red alarm fob button, the LED slows down its flashing and waits for the 1st black alarm fob's button to be depressed. I think at that time, and you seem to confirm, any functioning black fob of the correct frequency will be accepted by the Alarm ECU and its ID programmed into the ECU's memory. Same for the second black alarm fob.

Thanks for the clarification. I was beginning to think I had it screwed up.

You are right. It always takes the original PIN and a red alarm fob for which you know the PIN to reprogram the Alarm ECU to accept new remote fobs. Sometimes the Alarm ECU is the problem, like you said, and then you need a new one loaded with a known PIN and a new set of matching fobs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #128 Rifledriver, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

Once you have pressed the button of the red fob the job is done. It is the only one capable of sending a programming signal. The reciever will ONLY respond to black fobs that are sending the same signal as the red fob that was used to program it. Those will be the 2 blacks from the matched set only. It will not respond to any other signal from any other fob. Pressing a button of any black fob during the programming phase does nothing. Either the reciever is programmed to accept it or it isnt, pushing a button on a black one does nothing to change that.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think it is GCALO and SKIDLID who has the easiest solution which is to not tamper with the red fob/reciever/ECU imobilizer unit at all and just clone the black fob his way. They have been doing a great service to Fchat like robbie with stickynomore.com and DaveHelms with SRInovations. I think the three should get together just for the coop marketing ability of doing things for ferraris the non-ferrari way. It would be nice to have a single place to go (maybe a linked website) to who can do things like get more black fobs when PIN's are missing, fix stick interiors, fix HVAC unit faces, get working electrical connectors etc... What is really cool is that services like stickynomore and SRinovations are becoming the preferred way to fix things ferrari would never do the right way.

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #130 eric355, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    ???????????? read post #1 :(
    If they really do cloning in the US, they should advertise because most of my "customers" are there and it would save them the Fedex/UPS costs to ship to France.....

6. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    i called calo a couple of weeks ago and he said he wasn't cloning. (?)
    eric just cloned me with a six day end to end.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #132 tazandjan, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Brian- Once you have pressed the button of the red fob the job is done. It is the only one capable of sending a programming signal. The reciever will ONLY respond to black fobs that are sending the same signal as the red fob that was used to program it. Those will be the 2 blacks from the matched set only. It will not respond to any other signal from any other fob. Pressing a button of any black fob during the programming phase does nothing. Either the reciever is programmed to accept it or it isnt, pushing a button on a black one does nothing to change that.

Still trying to puzzle this out. Based on what you said, why would you need to push the black fobs' buttons at all to reprogram if they are all transmitting the same signal/ID? When you press a black fob's button during reprogramming, the LED flashing goes from slow to fast, signalling the ECU has accepted or recognizes (not sure which) the ID on that fob and has set the rolling code for the next time you use that fob, same thing for the next black fob. The three fobs would seem to have to have different IDs or the rolling code feature would prevent them from being used without pressing the fob multiple times to get a unique rolling code signal. Unless they all have the same ID, like you said, and the ECU is just setting the rolling code for each one and flashing to tell you it has set the rolling code. That is definitely a possibility.

I guess this comes down to one question. Have you tried to reprogram an Alarm ECU with a black fob that was not part of an original set of three? I have not. If you have, we know the definitive answer. If you have not, I sure wish you would try so we are 100% sure of the answer. You get many more opportunities than I do. I can even loan you a rogue black fob to try if you do not have one. If you pressed it as the second black fob and the ECU did not accept it, you could still use the third fob of the set of three with no problem. Game to try? Let me see what Eric says first and this may all be a moot point.

Hopefully, you will not start throwing things at me for gnawing on this bone.

Eric- When you clone a fob, what procedure do you have to perform to get that cloned fob to work initially? Afterwards, can you use the cloned fob and the original fob right after each other without multiple presses to get an accepted rolling code? If so Brian is almost certainly correct and during reprogramming of the Alarm ECU, the red fob passes the PIN and the ID contained in all three fobs, plus its own rolling code, and the ECU flashes quickly to tell you it has accepted this data. The second and third times the ECU flashes rapidly for the black fobs, it is just saying that black fob's rolling code has been set.

If so, time to rewrite my reprogramming document. Not the part on how to do it, which works fine, but the part on programming additional black fobs.

Confusing, is it not? Eventually, we will understand completely how this system works.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. roose369

roose369 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Joachim Roosen
    Hello, I just reeived my ferrari , which I purchased in Miami. However this only arrived with one black remote. How can I get more remotes. And what is the difference between the red and the black ( excuse me for not knowing this)

regards from Chile,

Joachim

9. roose369

roose369 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Joachim Roosen
    Hello I just received my ferrari moden 360, purchased in Miami. However only have a black r.c. , How can I get more and what is the differance between te red and black,

regards from Chile,

Joachim

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Did you read this thread at all? This subject has been well covered in MANY threads and all of the details are in this one too. Read the thread then ask if you still have any question.

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Pick up a couple extra black remotes and have them cloned to the existing good remote...

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I sent mine to Eric and he did a wonderful job, but I know there are a few guys that are hesitate on sending remotes across the ocean, I have found a shop that does remote cloning in Maryland in the US...

13. mimo169

mimo169 Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    I may be buying a 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena (EURO SPEC MODEL), but I am concerned that there is only one key and black fob remote included. The red fob remote is non-existent.

How much would I need to spend to make a copy of the key and clone the black fob remote? Keep in mind this is a EURO SPEC MODEL. Is the red fob remote even needed???

Also, is there someone who can do this in the US?

Help much appreciated!

14. mimo169

mimo169 Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    After further research I'm trying to figure out where I can obtain a EURO MODEL (433 MHz) black fob remote so that I can clone it from an existing/working black fob remote.

Additionally, I'd need to know who can clone it for me in the US?

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool...how about a name?

16. mimo169

mimo169 Rookie

Dec 23, 2009
    Yeah, what shop in the US does it? Do they also clone EURO model fob remotes?

17. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    I have a spare euro remote fob I can sell (and clone ...) if you want.

18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    After reading this entire thread it looks like the only solution to clone a remote is to send it to Eric in France? I saw a few posts saying be patient guys we're working on a procedure, but don't see a real DIY write up anywhere. Is my only option to trust my only working remote to Fedex or have people tried and succeeded on their own buying a programmer and downloading some software?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gobble- You got it. I just mailed my red fob and red spare to Eric this week, if that gives you a clue. Everyone else with grandiose ideas has fallen by the wayside or no longer wants to play.

Eric and I hope to ultimately have complete sets of three matched cloned fobs, including a PIN. Right now, though, the cost for such a set would not be much lower than the ~$550 Ferrari charges. New fobs are $100+ each, so not much room to play.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

20. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    It looks OK for a black fob

21. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Cool, looks like I just need to write that data onto a new chip in a new remote and I'm set. This wasn't that difficult (with Eric's advice).

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gobble- Would be handy to have two people who can clone fobs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I'm almost there.

24. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Be careful what you buy from Remote Superstore. I ordered one of the red ones, they told me by email before buying that it would be 315MHz, and it turned out to be Euro spec. We'll see how good they are about returns.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gobble- My spare black fobs are marked RKY 112 and my original is marked 148-V1. My original red is marked 156-V1, from memory, since Eric has cloned it and it is in the mail. Do not remember what my spare red was marked but will post it when it arrives.

Odds are you and Eric will be able to share files eventually and maybe be able to find the PIN and the ID digits that make up a matched set of three fobs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips