How to deal with out of state dealership who lie about the car condition? | FerrariChat

How to deal with out of state dealership who lie about the car condition?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Hello. As you may have read from my other thread that I picked up a 2017 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet for $30,000 off MSRP of $170,000.

Well, I finally received the car but totally disappointed.
    • Dealer promises brand new condition.
      • Reality, it's no where near brand new condition.
    • Dealer promises no swirl mark, no scratches, no paint chip.
      • Reality, it has scraps and scratches under the bumper lip.
      • It has paint chip 2mm diameter near the windshield area.
      • It has massive scratches at the entry panel (door seam area?).
    • Dealer promise it has full clear bra installed.
      • Reality, only front portion is installed and it's falling apart.
    • Car is not DEMO vehicles but driven by the Porsche Corporate Officers.
      • Document shows it's in fact a Demo car.
    • If car received is with damages, they will take it back and issue full refund.
      • I am in California and they are in New York, what is the legal procedure and process if dealer choose to ignore me?
    Should I ask for refund or it's still great deal. Keep and have them fix the problem?

The way I look at is they promised, we agreed, and I purchased the car solely because of the promise of the condition then I made the promised but car is delivered with different condition!

Opinion Please. Thank you very much!

2. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    They are major dealership selling Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Bentley. Definitely they are loaded and they can choose to ignore me and I have no clue what to do. I am being paranoid but I try my best to stay positive and having faith in dealership to do the right thing. But I called the sales executive and he declined my calls and not returning my calls. Only text me he is busy!

Help Please.

Enzojr likes this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Tough situation man, the damages sound minor to be honest, not really something you can go to court for. I think you should just chalk it up as a lesson learned and next time buy a car locally. That's a nice car but not exactly a rare car that you had to go all the way cross country to find. I've never purchased a car without seeing it in person. My recent Ferrari I drove 3 hours to go see in person before buying and it had dents and scratches that the dealer "missed" when he was telling me about it over the phone. I still bought the car bc it was everything i wanted and the damage was minor stuff but still I had to see it before I paid for it.

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When you spend that kind of money, a competent PPI is really cheap insurance, but that's water under the dam, or is it water over the bridge, now.

You can ask to return the car, or you can ask for a financial concession and see what they say. Otherwise I'm afraid you are SOL.

energy88 and SAU KWENG TAN like this.
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I agree with F355 Fan 82.

6. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I never liked to buy something out of state and its my first time thinking they are major dealership and he continued to pride himself and the dealership. I don't think the damages can be missed, it's so obvious when you open the door. It's like bunch of ding and scratch deep into the metal and the area is about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. He also obviously know it's A Demo Car because it shows in the document but claimed it's absolutely Not a Demo car.

I just wonder if the email promises will work as he promises he will take the car back if there is damage and also promises this is not a demo. This is not a rare car but options and color I really want. I rather receive and keep the car but it bothers me a lot with the imperfections.

7. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I am debating and waiting for dealership to get back to me. I checked with my buddy who owns a collision shop, nothing can be done on the paint on the door seam panel cause it cut through deep into the paint.

Anyone knows any legal action I can do if dealer choose to ignore?

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    First, do you have the dealer advertisement and photos describing the car? That's where I would start.

9. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Main 3 questions are...

Is it still worth the $30,000 off MSRP (Original $170ish) on a Demo Car with 3917 miles and it has paint chips and bunch of deep paint chips/scratches with area about 4 inches long?

If dealership choose to ignore me and deny to help, does anyone know the procedure to take legal action? Besides suck it up and learn the lesson, what else can I do?

Does promises made over email communication can be legally use as evidence?

THank you very much!

10. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    They took down the ad on both their website and eBay.

11. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The ad is still probably on eBay in their "Completed Listings" box to check on the left for a 2017 Porsches search. And I'm sure there is a cached version still available somewhere of their web ad. Someone versed in computers can probably guide you in that step. You definitely need this evidence, otherwise it is a he said, she said situation.

12. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I found it and its tricky. On the eBay ad under the car condition, it shows NEW. But in the advertisement body, it mentioned that their dealership has lot of nice pre-owned car, including this one and follow by the car options information.

Your thought?

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Save both electronically and make a printout. Since you apparently didn't purchase the car thru eBay, the NEW probably does not mean a lot. They would probably argue that NEW was a typing error. This implies that their ad is probably the more important of the two.

Next, what does the sales contract say? Is there any "As Is" language and disclaimers in it?

14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    1. Never, ever take the word of a dealer no matter how reputable.

2. In the end this is a used (no matter how they termed it) 911 GTS with 4000 miles. Probably an average deal at best.

You have to decide if you can live with the car or not. If you can, get it detailed and move on. If not, you could discuss with dealer and see if they will take it back or kick in a few bucks.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Best thing for you to do is chalk it up as a life lesson, get the car repaired at your friends body shop at your expense and move forward.
    Any other attempt at recourse will just double your frustration and end up costing you excessive amounts of time and money. How you treat others in life has a strange way of coming full circle weather professional or personal.

16. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    So you're saying a car dealer lied to you? Hmmm, never heard of that before!

As said above, best bet is to chalk it up to a life experience. Probably would have been worth the airfare to check it out in person. As the saying goes, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

17. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Photos?

phrogs likes this.
  18. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Contract said New!

19. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    You haven't said who you purchased the Porsche from. If from anybody other than an authorized Porsche dealer, I don't see how they could contend that it was new.

You also mentioned in your initial post about "my other thread that I picked up a 2017 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet for $30,000 off MSRP of $170,000." Somehow, I couldn't find that thread on FChat. Please post the link.

But I did find a thread on March 3 where you purchased a 2018 488 GTB along with another thread where you wanted to use zip ties to attach a license plate. Then why are you complaining about an old beat-up Porsche?

I believe you have some explaining to do.:eek:

LI2782 likes this.
  20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It can’t hurt to get a lawyer to send a letter....if you can get them to do some corrections you’ll be lucky. Most likely they know there’s little that you can do. Long distance is their friend, not yours.

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    No ad, no pics...hard to get help from a car forum this way, bud. You need legal advice.

LI2782 likes this.
  22. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I guess lesson learned by not quickly jump into a deal regardless how good it looks and get all the facts documented in the contract!

My old man taught me to be straight forward. I treated all my customers with up front straight forward full disclosure. I am not afraid of losing a deal by disclosing everything, even things that are not to my advantage. I do not want to intentionally cover up and have potential post sales issue! I expect the same from people I buy stuffs.

From now on, local dealership!

Lusso123 likes this.
  23. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I agreed. I guess they knew it all along! I am just a small consumer who is few thousand miles away. Different state different laws!

24. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    At this point, I try not to disclose the dealership until they truly ignore me. Perhaps I am over paranoid and want to ask ahead just in case they totally ignore me.
    They are authorized porsche dealer and claim they are the premium porsche in the country.

The ziptie was just a joke.

The issue is not the beat up Porsche. The issue is he promises NO SCRATCHES, NO MARKS, except 2 dings that will be fixed. He promises it's NEW CAR CONDITION! He promises it's NOT a DEMO Car. He promises I will receive the original manufacturer owner certificate (not received yet).

My decision to purchase solely made due to all his promises so I am expecting a new condition scratch-less car, except the 2 dings which I was notified. I accepted that it has 2 dings and even if he said dings will be removed, I am prepared to see some imperfection on the dings repair! That is something I am aware and I made decision to accept the 2 dings. However, he never mentioned about other scratches and promises it will be NEW CONDITION!

That is my complain. Not deliver what was promised!

25. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Here are the photos. I don't think it's a big deal when it comes to the scratches and dings themselves. My problem is too much on the dings and scratches but I felt I am being cheated! I would have been fine they had disclosed it so I have a true facts to make my decision. I would have asked for more discount or totally not going to buy it. (knowing myself being perfectionist, I most likely won't buy it)
    • The bumper lip scratches. I have asked him to double check if there is any scratches...answer NO.
    • The body. I have asked him to double check if there is any imperfection, swirl marks, micro scratches and etc...answer NO. It's New Car Condition.
    • He even took additional photos and also point out the 2 dings which I am aware and I accepted the 2 dings.
    • Car title. It's not a Demo Car. It was a car given to Porsche Corporate Officer to drive. But the document shows Demo Car when i was delivered with the car!
    Again, I am not complain about the damages itself but I am complaining about dealership gave me false information that I made the decision I would not have made.

I don't know, may be I am just over paranoid about things and try to get opinion how to deal with the dealer if they totally ignore me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

billy.gif and I'm 360 Canuck like this.