How to "DO" Le Mans? | FerrariChat

How to "DO" Le Mans?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Maximillian575GTC, May 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximillian575GTC

Sep 28, 2006
    NAS/NCE/YYZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hey there,

We're expecting delivery of our GTO @ the Factory at the end of the first week of June (probably 2nd or 3rd). My girlfriend and I decided to christen it with a solid roadtrip:

-Milan
    -Lugano
    -Geneva
    -Dijon (or somewhere in Burgundy)
    -Reims
    -Paris
    -LE MANS June 11-12
    -Bordeaux
    -Barcelona
    -Cannes
    -Home (Monaco)

Roughly 3500 kms in 10 days.

We've been to just about all of these places except Le Mans. Our biggest curiosity is how to go about lodging/watching the race. Is there going to be an fchat/Ferrari group? Any recommendations on grandstands/hotels/inns? Parties/Events?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Max

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We've done LeMans th last five years and .you will not find any lodging anywhere LeMans - the hotels are booked well over a year in advance. Suggest that you go to www.booking.com and type in LeMans and see what shows. You will probably find no grandstand seating at this time either, again Everything books very early. You can try the leMans/ace website but be prepared for stanDs to be sold out. You might Find a party if you are with a team. There is a driver's parade in the town centre on Friday night. Good luck!

3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    The above is correct. Unless you're invited with an automaker, you're pretty much out of luck at this point.

I went as the guest of a tire company a couple years ago and they had the forethought to make reservations at a local hotel well in advance. Having done the race once, my recommendation is to camp at the track if you want the full Le Mans experience. When I go back, that's what I'll strive to do.

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #4 tomgt, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    Max I have a parking/camp ticket for Parking Blue from friday 10th on. (500m from main entrance, next to Aerodome)
    PM me.

Tickets can be bought at entrance, Grand Stand when you are lucky at Centre des Expositions, Ave du Parc des Expositions, 500m from main entrance

5. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    friday: http://www.classicbw.org/index.php
    or drive to La Chartre-sur-le-Loire, centre village also on friday or to Arnage centre.
    Watch the Grande Parade des Pilotes on friday evening LM Town Centre (Jacobins)

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A crew of Ferrari Owners from the UK convoys over .....I'd try to link up with them.

F308Man is one of the ring leaders, starting from his house on Isle of Man.

Looks like you have another invitation posted above....

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    also available: one GS ticket for Ford Chicane tribune

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    You could also try one of the package tour companies that specialize in racing. They have options all the way from luxury villas to tent camping. Two that I am familiar with are speedchills.com and lemansrace.com. They are both UK based.
    There was also a good thread here a year or two ago where the accomodations were in Paris but with full details on how to get back and forth. If you can't find it I think I copied it to my google notes.

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I know I have posted details as we would stay at the Novotel Gare
    Montpatresse and commute via TGV.

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes, it was your post I was thinking of Carol, just couldn't quite think of it last night!
    Your cliff notes are stashed away safely for my bucket list.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael