How to download music and contacts from iPhone | FerrariChat

How to download music and contacts from iPhone

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dtreenjr, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    I recently bought a 2011 Cali. The most fun car I have ever owned, better than my SL63 AMG, but I must say that Mercedes makes it much easier to upload music and contacts into the car.
    I have read the manual over and over, and I cannot figure out how to transfer my music or contacts into the infotainment center.
    Anyone have a solution.
    Thanks!

2. Wallsttrader

Wallsttrader Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a 2011, i dont think you can it doesnt stream Bluetooth

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My 2013 streams music from my iPhone via Bluetooth ... generally, the iPhone does not allow you to transfer music files to other devices from itself. And all those iTunes files these days are copy protected and will not play even if you can get it on there. My contacts went over easily, not sure if there were updates between 2011 and 2013 that facilitated that.

The stereo is so pitiful I think I've only used it twice, both when stuck in traffic. The music from the tailpipes is much more listenable.

4. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I have a California T. Blue tooth works great, but I use the Apple Carplay. I love how it works, see all my music art, can ask Siri to play any music with a push of a button. Messaging works great. As well as voice to dial.

I'm actually very pleased with the unit.

I have a iPhone 6s with iOS 10.

5. MCAppe

MCAppe Rookie

May 10, 2016

What year is your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The Cali T head unit is completely different, does not apply to the original poster ...

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    mine car is 2015

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I (still) have an iPhone 5s and I can stream music from it to my 2013 Cali30 over Bluetooth. I also copied music from my iTune's collection as well as from my CD collection.

You transfer music to the infotainment unit using a USB thumbdrive or a WMA/MP3 CD. This is explained in the "Reference Guide Infotainment System" manual included with your car. If you're missing the manual, here are a few instructions.

NOTE: your car must be stopped when you transfer files from a USB. The USB port is under the bottom right button labeled USB - you have to pop the button cover off to reveal the USB port.
    Press the MENU button, then select "My Files" -> "My Music" -> "add Music Files to HDD" -> "From disc" or "From USB". Select your files, press "DONE" to proceed.​
    Depending on how many songs you have, it can take a while so you may want to have a coffee or tea while you wait.

ITUNES
    =====
    To get iTunes music onto the USB drive, insert USB drive in your computer, start iTunes and open a window showing the USB's desktop or main folder, then go into your MUSIC library, select the song(s) you want to transfer and select them with your mouse.

On the Mac, simply drag the songs from your iTunes window to the Finder window showing the USB desktop or folder and the System will copy them over. On Windows, LEFT-CLICK on the mouse while you select and drag the files over.

That's it. Sometimes, the music will play better as MP3 files and I believe iTunes tend to be distributed in MP4 format. You can use iTunes to convert them to MP3 format. Select the song and convert using the "Convert New Version -> Create MP3 version" menu item under the FILE menu drop-down or do a CONTROL-mouse click on the song in the iTunes listing.

You can also burn an MP3 CD in a similar fashion but USB drives have much more room and are easier to use. It's all straightforward and should work without a hitch. Enjoy!