How To.....Fix your Fuel Door Release Actuator | FerrariChat

How To.....Fix your Fuel Door Release Actuator

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Part Time, Feb 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    How To………Fix your Fuel Door Release Actuator

1. You really don’t want to continue to open the trunk and push the emergency release to pop the fuel door open, do you ?

2. Buy an actuator motor, # 144-81-410-00, from whoever has one, mine was $50 from ebay a couple of years ago….It does not matter if it is listed as a “trunk release actuator”, they are the same part but it will need to be modified to work as a fuel door release. The photo shows where to use a fine hack saw blade or hobby saw to cut off the “fork” at the end of the white plastic actuator, be careful to leave enough plastic to keep the rubber boot on. The two actuators are the same, buying one new will have the fork on it and will work for the trunk, cutting the fork off will make it work for the fuel door, after you have transferred the metal rack and housing over onto the unit…TAKE PICTURES of the old fuel actuator before you remove the rack and housing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Gary
    Yes, I've been opening the trunk to open the fuel door on and off for years but full-time for last year. Before a long trip last month I tested the solenoid with jump wires and it appeared to be dead, so the trip was done "manually". I removed the solenoid and assembly yesterday and tested it at the battery. The solenoid gives a bit of wimpy motion maybe 1/8"+ and does it rather sluggishly. Today I will clean it up and use some graphite on moving parts to see if that gets it moving more or faster.

With the new solenoid, how far does the solenoid stroke? Is it a sharp push (like the hood latch)?

I have found a new part for about $65 and will go that route after I see what my 'tune-up' does.
    Ken

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hey Ken ….Yes, it is a quick, sharp, push, just like the trunk actuator......I never tried to clean mine, when I took it apart the small metal gear that drives the rack was broken into pieces.....non-fixable.
    That started me looking for a replacement unit, which went nowhere, until I noticed it was similar to the trunk release actuator, and the rest is history !
    So, yup, try cleaning/lube first, then buy the new one and cut the fork off.
    Glad I could help !

Gary

4. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I did a search all over for that part number but I'm coming up empty - I definitely need this part. Any chance it would / could be under a different number or brand? Thx!

Jim

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wait!! These cars have an electronic fuel door opener? What?? I thought it was standard procedure to open the trunk, scrape a layer of skin off, and hit the button.

james.colangelo likes this.
  6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  7. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I should have checked there first!! Thanks for the link I just bought one. Not a bad price considering the wear and tear I'll be saving on my trunk popper.. hahaha

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave, Cynical as ever! Do you use the cable in LR panel to open the trunk too?

My solenoid is back to life! After taking the assembly into pieces, I tested on the battery and the plunger nearly popped out of the unit. Using my hand I limited the travel and stroked it a few times and it was sharp fast stroke. I cleaned all the parts and applied a little liquid graphite on moving parts. It is possible to over-tighten the three little bolts holding the slider on with the grooved rubber pad; too tight and the lever will not move. Note that the mounting plate (see Gary's pic) has two slotted holes to adjust the stroke length of the lever. I marked mine and it was set for shortest stroke. I installed it for max stroke.

I reinstalled in the car and the console switch popped the solenoid and lever. I fiddled about for an hour to get the 4 different available adjustments at a best fit to allow the door latch to swing freely "on command". Two pushes of the console button and the door swings open, for now.

The spring on the door hinge could use an upgrade; if it had a little more push the adjustments would not be so critical. Has anyone added an extra spring or replaced the original. The hinge pivot is welded so a slip on replacement is not possible.
    Ken

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sure, go ahead, make fun of me. Next you're going to try to convince me there is some way to electronically open the trunk without having to pull the cable.

10. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Nicely done - I'll be doing this job next and will report back as well. Good thread!!

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    THANKS Dave! I went out to tidy up the trunk and put tools away the day after my last post. Guess what? The trunk "electronics" failed and the trunk needed manual intervention. The Stacy jinx!
    As I (WE!) are used to, I popped out the console switch and disconnected and reconnected the terminal block a couple of times and all is working again. That button worked 100% of the time during our 1200 mile trek last month, but a few words from Dave was enough to stop it from working!
    Ken :):eek:

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <chuckle> Yeah, I screwed you, sorry.