355 - How to gain alil more hp on f355? | FerrariChat

355 How to gain alil more hp on f355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Filippo7673, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Hey so finally got my car running amazing. With a lot of help from this forum bc of great members. Just looking to get alil more power out of her. Only modification i did so far was capristo exhaust with by pass valve. Could not be happier. Been searching but not sure what really gains the most power for the money. Ive looked at test pipes intakes etc. Can you help me in the right direction bc i feel like i will spend alot of money on all upgrades that look great but not really worth it. Ty and please share where you have seen differences and what parts are highly recommended ty again

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rick canton likes this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    johnk... likes this.
  3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Which capristo? the only one thats actually going to add power is the twin sound. Capristo dyno test show a 25-35hp gain.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I wouldn't consider this mod a power gain, but, at least for me, it was a throttle smoothness and responsiveness improvement. YMMV and it can be a fiddle-some mod if you're not up to it. It IS easily reversible and not really too expensive. Going to separate Coil on Plugs using a distributorless ignition box. link to the thread here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f355-coil-on-plug-conversion.36012/

GTUnit likes this.
  5. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For bolt on stuff there is not much more. Headers in theory will give you more power throughout the rev range. I have seen various dynos on different styles backing this up on the F355. After that (or before) you are looking for a Gruppe M carbon fiber intake system. This kit has been around a long time and when introduced they had dyno sheets boasting 11-13 HP gains through the rev range.

After that if you are serious you are looking at pulling the heads and porting and then a standalone ECU like a Motec.

If the Tipo 129b did have 375 HP from the factory 450 HP with a streetable all motor setup is probably the most you can squeeze out of it. Would be a hoot with all those things done. Maybe some day I will get there.

There have been some Twin Turbo F355's around the world over the years but not many. I remember years ago Bradan was doing a custom setup for customer but the guy ran out of money or the stomach to add more money to finish it. He was looking at $50k if I remember correctly for the whole setup. That project was documented on a thread on Fchat.

6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There are other things to make the F355 feel like it has more HP. Lighter wheels and shedding pounds other places. The biggest boat anchor is the factory exhaust system. The weight saved off a full aftermarket system might make the car faster than the HP it adds!

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
  8. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Yassa likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ohh yes I remember them, thats bedong bolt on percormance. never heard anyone with thier kit but I bet soneone did.

there was a company rhat made tirbo kits too. actually it not that hard, much easier than a stroker.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    dang, I wish money wasn't so expensive ;)

Illyria, ///criss and Yassa like this.
  11. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I brought this up many years ago and the braintrust on Fchat believed that only a couple actual race car F355's ever got the kit in Japan. I don't recall the other details exactly but comments suggested it is a race only type application and not street friendly.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive had tubi test pipes for over 12 years - on a 95 they make the car scream!!

Tubi Sales and Yassa like this.
  13. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    There are all sorts of things you can do but most of them can only be done to the 2.7 (95). Amongst them are the Gold connector kit( many think this is a BS thing but i have experienced it in more than one car and it works) The other thing is to take off the cats and go with the Euro non-cat timing. Its basically the same timing used on many 355 challenge cars by teams that found it. Then get the chipping changed to match all that....this one is tough. The Gruppe M air intake also gives you lower end p0wer. Tubi headers are great as well. No matter which headers you go with, try and stick to a 4-2-1 build. Then you can go with the minor things like Challenge wheels with titanium bolts etc etc. All of these things combined will give you a totally different car and well over 400 hp.

Jackie and bill likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What is euro non cat timing? Never saw an F355 without catalyst or reference to non catalyst cam timing in the WSM.

phrogs likes this.
  15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Power can be gained in the 355 but not cheaply. My car dynos on a Mustang dyno at 324rwhp at 8000rpm which translates to 350-355rwhp on a dynojet. That is @40rwhp more than stock. Besides adding power, throttle response can be improved by cam timing, ignition timing and fuel ratios. My car has advanced cam timing of 4 degrees, ignition advanced 6 degrees and better fuel ratios. Dual piggyback computers allows the car to be dyno tuned. This makes huge difference in throttle response in the mid range which is where a stock F355 is lacking. The GruppeM box also helps in midrange torque. So just gross HP numbers should not be the only thing you are after. How and where the power is delivered is also important. I have Goth large piped exhaust and bypass with 4-2-1 headers that also help midrange. The problem is that the F355 lacks torque so it is never going to perform like a Z06 but the power and delivery can be changed to give it a better power band. INTIMD8 has drag stripped his car and got some great numbers to show the car can be a good performer.

16. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Better off doing weight reduction. Carbon fiber seats, CF front and rear bumper covers, CF door panels, and lightweight wheels. Maybe lightweight clutch/flywheel, if you don’t mind sacrificing low speed drivability.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Try supercharging. That would be cool

18. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The 355 engine was originally designed with no cats for europe but those sent to the USA and Canada and some other ports had to have cats so the timing on those cars was changed. If you go with straight pipes, you will do much better with the Euro timing for the 355. I will try and find it.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So there were euro cars delivered non catalyst? (all of the euro cars I've seen still appear to be catalyst).

I've seen catalyzed/non catalyzed timing specs in the WSM for 348 but not F355 so would be interested to see what you have.

20. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    +1

21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    This is from the parts catalogue at Eurospares, note the "Catalyst Replacement" (shown on both, 2.7 & 5.2 diagrams). It looks like the straight pipe is part of the original Ferrari parts diagram but it might also have been added by Eurospares as an aftermarket option.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    From 1992 onwards all euro cars had to be fitted with cats, so I very much doubt the 355 engine was designed to be non cat. The item shown will be for other world markets that are based on euro spec but do not require the cat element. It may also have been slipped into the 355 spec so that it could then be used on challenge cars. It even lists it as a replacement item, not an optional one

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The reason why I said it might have been an aftermarket option is because Eurospares offer Capristo pipes for the 2.7 and Tubi for the 5.2. In both cases, the part numbers listed for these pipes do not have similar format to the usual factory part numbers. However, the parts diagram looks like it is genuine factory; possibly from the European version book. The straight pipes were probably not fitted at the factory (due to the regulations) but were perhaps offered to owners to do their own mods.

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Hmm, odd. The pipes they sell now as mentioned are Capristo (or Tubi) and I would think if it was factory the 2.7 version wouldn't have a rear o2 bung but that's just a guess.

25. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    My Euro German delivered 355 had cats. It doesn't anymore. It just stinks a little now.

PKF355 likes this.