348 - How to inspect timing belt/shoe | FerrariChat

348 How to inspect timing belt/shoe

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I decided to inspect the belts and the timing belt shoe, I had a bad feeling about that. I also wanted to double check pulley install direction. I have seen too many posts with the shoe riding the belt or read about pulleys on facing wrong direction etc. While the car was jacked up waiting to get new wheels since I was adjusting the suspension I checked out the access. Turns out it is pretty easy to get to with the fender line removed and the rear up in the air. Easy like anyone with basic tools can do, easy.

• Jack up the rear.
    • Add some protection for the side of the car while leaning over.
    • There is gap where the belts and the valve cover are. The inspection covers have 4 5mm Allen bolts per cap that have washers. You do not want to drop a washer in there so jam a fine cloth there in the space.
    • There is plenty of room to get the bolts out.
    • Careful with the washers, I tried to remove the bolts and leave the washers in place then used a magnet to get them out of the socket.
    • Decided I waned twenty thousandths of an inch gap.
    • No luck, my belt was basically riding the belt I could JAM a .004 gauge in there but that's probably only due to minor wear on the belt. Most of the belt is shiny with some spots of wear for high sides. The covers them self had minimal residue, I have seen some with piles of rubber. I have about 1K miles since the service.
    • So just loosen the bolt on the front of the shoe axle and push it up, stick in gauge, tap it down then re-tighten the shoe bolt. Remove and re-insert the gauge for double check.
    • You can see the tension bolt for the shoe in the last second to last picture. Just wrap your hand around with a 5mm Allen key and turn in, its trivial.
    • Pulleys on were correct, the last picture is the correct fence facings.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    copterjon likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Remember I said I had a bad feeling.... my car had a wine when the engine was running behind my head that got faster as it revved. It got less and less over time. It sounded exactly like something dragging on a belt. Well its gone now. :)

4. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Good call!! Easy enough to do....
    I set mine to 045"...
    I think I know that sound you're talking about, mine had it before the service, now its gone...

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep sort of like a real low volume supercharger. Hope others find this useful.

6. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yep that's the noise!! I was wondering what it was too......I did suspect those shoes, but I was pulling the engine anyway so didn't worry too much about it at the time...

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #7 m.stojanovic, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Interesting work on the belt shoe by somebody who even "modified" (ground the top side of) the shoe so that he could install it - the wrong way around!

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 Ferrarium, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Yep, he actually made another video earlier where he did it wrong, this was the video to correct that mistake. It is Paul "pnicholasen" out here, I have all his videos downloaded. Super helpful.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app