How to make aluminum look weathered. | FerrariChat

How to make aluminum look weathered.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My local garage cracked two aluminum steps on my old Suburban and had them welded. But now these 20 year old steps look terribly "repaired" in a couple of spots and I'd like to try and touch those spots up instead of refinishing all 4 because frankly ... getting these two off was a real bear.

Any ideas other than a lot of time ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Lend it to a construction crew, working with concrete, for a week.

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Won't guarantee that this will work for you (as you may have a different Al alloy), but I had a (bad) experience leaving some cast Aluminum parts in a Simple Green solution overnight thinking that it would clean them -- instead, it oxidized the heck out of the surface turning them a dark grey.

brian.s and staatsof like this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Apple cider vinegar will make it look oxidized, but not that dark.

Matt

5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well this is easy to try out. I'll carefully wrap a rag around the spots if the test spot works. Thanks.

I also think the cement idea might work.

My wife thinks I'm totally crazy considering the the hood is a complete mess having been blown back twice when it wasn't latched properly and now needs paint. Roof needs paint and both front fender flares need replacing. But the inside is still pretty nice and mechanically we've gone through a lot of things in the last 3 years. That 454 pulls like a very thirsty freight train and hauls big stuff very well.

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I have used lye before with good results

staatsof likes this.
  7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I forgot about that! During my early HS years I used lye solutions to frost aluminum panels for a huge electronics console I built.
    Thanks for reminding me.

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Want to get rid of latex paint on surfaces? Try ZEP industrial purple, takes it right off just like paint stripper.

9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    warning: read labels with contents CAREFULLY.
    The "graying" which earlier poster refers to is an amount of a low molar content level of muriatic acid.
    This is a cheap-o degreasing agent formulation (added into many of the commercially available "cleaners/degreasing" solvents available at "big box" stores), but tears aluminum lattice alloys to shreds on surface...
    the typical resulting is "greying of the aluminum alloys...it will also grey the valve seats as well. It is strictly a surface discoloration and doesn't undercut integrity of steel alloys, merely discoloration, again...
    experiment with the ph-in both directions-half a point at a time, on test materials until you obtain the desired results
    Based on your description of the vehicle, I frankly don't get it?

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

My wife agrees with you LOL but ... it's still a well functioning vehicle and I'm always of the opinion that if you let the condition of a car deteriorate it's not long before it goes to the wrecker. A lot of people run these vehicles for another 100K, I'm at 150K and the new equivalent is way more expensive than the maintenance is on this one.

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Easy off oven cleaner will darken it up, it is mostly just a convenient for of lye.

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes I know. I really miss their paste version as it worked great.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Just to followup. I'm finished with repairing and bringing the appearance back to a weathered look. The lye crystals in solution using a foam brush not only cleaned a lot of crap off but did a good job of making it look reasonably uniform. Good enough for an old truck anyway. I'd have to go to Florence and study under the master forgers to do much better! LOL The more uniform medium gray areas on the mounting flanges is where I used a metallic epoxy filler to make up for eroded aluminum mounted next to the steel brackets. Now to fix the bent up brackets on the truck and bolt these back on. That's not so easy either as I can't get the brackets off of the truck WO a lot of work and expense. The plastic sills have to come out and those screws are really stuck in there.

Thanks to everyone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan and Kevin Rev'n like this.