How to Program Homelink for the 458 | FerrariChat

How to Program Homelink for the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2k7997tt, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Since none of us can find the Homelink programming instructions, I have posted the instructions here. Note- these instructions are from HomeLink. I selected a Fiat 500 (since Ferrari is not an option). Additionally, I selected a Chamberlain garage door opener (but these instructions should apply for any garage door opener).

Alternatively, you can visit HomeLink and print the instructions yourself.

Here you go:

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash rapidly after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

*If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.

**If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener (receiver), locate the “learn” or “smart” button. If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks very much, that helps out....worked perfectly....the instructions that came with the car do not include the "learn" step....

3. Astont

Astont Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Teddy
    Thanks it is now working !!!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I tried several times and gave up. The dealer tried several times and gave up.

It's a total pain.

LARRYH likes this.
  5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I had to go into a dark place so I could see when the little light blinked. After the car was programmed I went to the garage door(s) and programmed them. It worked.

6. Astont

Astont Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Teddy
    Mayor where do you live ? I can help you if you want !

I spent 25 minutes but now i understand it :)

7. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can't get my new opener to program....very annoying

8. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Worked perfectly. Thanks.

9. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    My 2012 Porsche was also impossible. I also gave up.

10. johnauten

johnauten Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    One tip, make sure the opener has fresh batteries in it. Old batteries push a weaker signal that home link may not capture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    I've done many porsches without any issues. Not sure why yours does not work. Maybe garage door opener hardware?

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Same with me, it worked on my 991, but not my wife's BMW.

Is it worth in your guys opinion to order the Home Link on the 458? Going through the options sheet it looks like there are two options for Homelink, one is for the interior and the other is both interior and exterior mirrors. Any suggestions guys?

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I got the interior mirror and Homelink option. It's twice as much to get exterior and interior option so I passed ($1571 vs. 756).

Worked great on my 997 and works great on my BMW F10. I didn't have it on my California and had to use the clicker.

14. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    What's the difference between home link interior and exterior? I thought it was on the rear view mirror?

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I found homelink difficult to program and pretty much useless if you go into a community gate. Even the dealer gave up.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    All good answers thanks guys, I am passing on it.

jgfurr likes this.
  17. Retail

Retail Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Eastern US
    Full Name:
    Retail
    I just did it on my new Spider. I used this quote from a previous thread on it and it worked perfectly:

18. COBrien

COBrien Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago
    For those having trouble, this may or may not help. When I programmed my Homelink, I found that it was very sensitive to the location of your hand-held transmitter. When you're going through the step using your transmitter, I had the best results keeping it very close to the Homelink buttons (couple of inches) and also slightly behind them (between the mirror and the windshield). The LED is also tough to see in daylight....getting under it and looking straight up seems to help. Once I figured that part out, I programmed all 3 buttons very quickly.

19. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    +1

20. TheMalibuDriver

TheMalibuDriver Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Aka Malibuguy
    #20 TheMalibuDriver, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Most dealers have no clue about how to program Homelink or how to use the infotainment.

Homelink will work but you have to follow the right instructions or have someone who truly knows what they are doing. The instructions provided by Ferrari or Homelink are totally inadequate and misleading. Unfortunately most software instructions are written by English majors who are completely all thumbs when it comes to technology. I know this is true because some of my clients wrote these manuals and are dumb as a rock in regards to technology and otherwise very nice intelligent people. Furthermore, having worked with software engineers, I know first hand that they are the absolute worst in explaining things and are horrific in terms of communication with people in general.

This is why software is so flawed and unintelligible. Software engineers are responsible for a lot of frustration and wasted time and resources of those who try to work with their code. (IMO)

Solid State likes this.
  21. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    Just programmed mine
    In Canada with rolling code.
    Press hand held button near Homelink button also depressed till green light flashes then hit learn button on opener and then re-press home link button

Bingo!

22. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
  23. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Some latest Genie models come with the hand held remotes that are not compatible with the 458's HomeLink system. I had this issue when I tried for the first time. Try to use an older model of the Genie remote, pair it with the opener first and then follow the standard procedures.

24. RawHo

RawHo Karting

Oct 21, 2016
    Keep trying still won't work for me, I gave up too.