How to remove a screw...? Help! | FerrariChat

How to remove a screw...? Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robertb, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I am removing the door entry plates on my 355 to replace with carbon-fiber ones.

There is a little screw holding one of the plates on, and the screw has corroded slightly; the screwdriver can't get a purchase on the screw-head to undo it, and the screw-head has now stripped.

Any tips on how I might remove it?

Thanks,

Robert.

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Sears has a good stripped screw remover. It attaches to a drill.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Before trying the screw extractor, soak the screw thoroughly with PB Blaster & let it set overnight. Better yet, repeat the soaking every other day for a week.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Drill it, and use an "easy out" screw extractor...you can find them at any hardware store. As mentioned, there are also dedicated screw extractor bits that fit on a drill, and supposedly "bite" into the screw and extract it. I have a set, but have not tried it yet.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW,
    the drill type extractors require a reversable drill.

6. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Excellent advice that I can only add a small bit to.
    Try a sharp blow with a light hammer and drift on the head of the screw or on the head of the screwdriver. Carefully of course so as to not damage the car. Oftn a quick rap like that will help a bunch in letting go of frozen parts, especially if done before trying to loosen. There are inexpensive impact type screwdrivers available at many motorcycle shops, as they have similar problems. these turn while you tap the end with a hammer, which will break all but the worst loose. JMO

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Another approach:
    File a straight slot into the head of the screw (either with a hand file or a Dremel-type tool) and unscrew with a flat screwdriver. Take the screw to a hardware store for a replacement.

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the tips folks,

I'll give all the methods a try, starting with the least dramatic!

Robert.

9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    PB Blaster for a week, then a couple of taps, then heat (propane) - this has solved ALL my worst 35 yr old stuck screws n nuts. Patience is the key thing. Patience.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay here is what I did when I had the same problem with the kick plates on my 348 (same as for the 355). The screws are screwed into plastic clips that are pushed into the body work under the kick plate. So if you can't get the screw out using the methods the others have suggested, try using vicegrips. Thats what I did. If the plastic clip gets stripped out don't worry, you can get replacements clips at just about any auto part store. I got mine from Auto Zone and Kragen, they were only about a $1.50 for a pack. I think there were 5 screws in each pack, same deal for the clips. Let us know how it goes.

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #11 vincenzo, Sep 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017