348 - How to remove control arm bushings???? | FerrariChat

348 How to remove control arm bushings????

Discussion in '348/355' started by aballas, Mar 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    So I currently have my rear suspension apart to replace torn CV Boots. I knew that the suspension bushings didn't look great so I figured I'd replace them as well while I'm in there to avoid having to take things apart again to do those.

I've got my control arms out now, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the hell to get these bushings out of the damn arms.

There isn't really a lip to put a cup around the bushings and press them out that way, and I don't want to risk damaging the arms...

So what do I do? Anyone have a tutorial on getting these things out?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I haven’t tackled that job yet, so I’m afraid I won’t be of any help. Maybe fatbillybob will chime in.

aballas likes this.
  3. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Theres a shoulder in that bushing so pry that large washer out at the other side, make suitable driver and drive the thing out with an impact hammer Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
  5. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    You will see that theres a lip on one side of that bush, you will remove it obviously from other side, just pry that washer out of it first. First pic is the side you need to drive it from.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I had a machine shop make a couple off sleeves then used a variety of 3/4 drive sockets. Surprisingly enough they came out quite easily

S-T48 likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They make a press for it harbor freight sells it. Also a bearing press with a socket and press them out or pull them out. Also cut them out or cut a wedge out from the inside then press them out even easier.
    I would avoid putting a torch to them and softening the metal.
    Google "remove control arm bushing" and check the images tab. Once you see it you'll get it.

ernie likes this.
  8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Use a press
    I put the new ones in the freezer before pressing them in so not to distort the new rubber

Also level the car before tightening the bushings so they don't bind the rubber unless your using rollers.

[email protected] and ernie like this.
  9. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have a ball joint press, the issue is that there isn't enough of a shoulder on the arm itself for the cup, so the cup shifts when I start pressing and it doesn't press straight.

10. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    So should I put the wheels on and lower it before tightening them all the way? is that what you mean?

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Exactly, or simply jack the control arm up to ride height while on the lift. This avoids any binding of the bushing and centers it in a neutral spot. Unless your using roller bushings then it dont matter, I doubt that you are for the street :)

phrogs and aballas like this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    #12 A348W, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    You either press them out or you do it old school with a hacksaw and drift them out/in. Do some searching there are a few threads about on how to do both and the sizes of drifts/sockets etc you need.

If pressing them, you need exactly right dia. pieces to press them out. Easiest option is take them to a Ferrari dealer and they will do them and press new ones in for you. Pressing new ones in is equally difficult so get them done at the same time.

If you are doing it old school, as follows (what I and others have done)
    1) cut the part of the bush off that is proud of the wishbone, ie cut through the rubber, through the centre metal tuber so the end comes off
    2) heat the bush so the rubber expands, and the centre part of the bus, ie the metal tube will come out, either by itself or with a little nudge with a screw driver or similar. Do this outside as its V messy.
    3) push the rubber out of the bush. If heated enough should come out fairly easily.
    4) use a double cut on the inside of the bush with a hacksaw; to create small strip, 1/4 wide. Be careful not to cut through the wishbone!!
    5) cold chisel the small strips out. (see picture)
    6) use a socket, circa 22mm from memory to drift the inner race of the bush out from the swing arm.

To put new ones in is NOT fun.

You will need either a press or very good vice, several sockets that a) fit on the bush and b) can sit on the backside of the swing arm and take the bush as it goes through and protrudes from the swing arm. I've got the sizes somewhere if you need them. I packed my socket with washers so the socket sat on the shoulder of the bush and the backing pushed on the centre of the bush, so trying to get equal pressure.

As with anything like this, put the bushes in the freezer and heat the swing arms with a gentle heat, I used a paint stripper and found this sufficient. You will also want to clean up the race in the swingarm.

Make sure you press them in the right way, they are directional.

I've done front and rear, and will NOT be doing this job again. Complete SOB. Next time they will be going in to be done.

As an aside, once the bushes are out, you might as well send the swing arms off to be powdercoated. Costs almost nothing and is the time to do them. And in the usual way, you might as well take the mounts of the frame and send them to be re-plated.

Make sure you get all new nuts as well; and as said above do the final tightening once the swing arm is level. You can do this with the wheel off, by jacking up the hub so its at the same position as when the car is on the ground, and then doing the final tightening.

Remember when its all back together, you will need a four wheel alignment.

Good luck!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vdettore likes this.
  13. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Oof... Thanks. Yeah that looks like a huge PITA.

Maybe worth the price of paying someone else to do it.

The dealership is about a mile down the road from me so maybe I'll just take the arms in and drop them off when I get the new bushings in hand .

14. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Some 348/355 control arms have a lip and some don’t. Like yours, mine do not have the lip. Cut the bushing down to the large “washer” of the bushing (sits right against the control arm). Then carefully use an angle grinder and grind the washer down so you have an edge to rest a tube with same diameter of the control arm bushing seat. Should be set. After 2 hours I got one done and proceeded to other parts of my engine out until nothing left to do but finish bushings...

15. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Save yourself a load of grief and time. Take them to someone with a press. Any decent engineering shop should be able to do it. If you do the job yourself you will probably end up thinking that you should have. Unless you have a very good press and the right tooling of course.

aballas likes this.
  16. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yeah that's definitely how I'm leaning at the moment. I like to do things myself when I can, but in this case it seems like hours of cursing and annoyance for something that would take 20 minutes at a shop.

Worth the $$

vdettore likes this.
  17. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I have only this month replaced all my ball joints and suspension bushes with power flex polly units. As well as all the roll bar and shock absorbers bushes.
    The invaluable tool that helped me was a 12 ton press. For less than £70 it made things so much easier.
    I used a 34mm socket and a variety of extention bars along with a selection of sockets to press out the old bushes. The new poll units just hand press in.
    Mate, get a press i say.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

ernie and Canuck550 like this.
  18. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    See post 17 above
    Did mine this way took an hour hardest part was to assemble and set up the press
    Then used the press to push the new ones in
    Worth the cost $150.00 well spent

19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Unless you Like doing this sort of thing, take them to the dealer. Not sure about your way but in the UK I know people who have done this route and they don’t charge stupid money.

You can also pick their brains on torque settings and a wheel alignment. I had the local main dealer do mine as they were reasonable price and would have any spare shims that might be needed and would know what to do; too many cowboys doing wheel alignment for me to mess about.

aballas likes this.
  20. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yeah I actually stopped by the dealer today on my way home from cars and coffee. Service department wasn't open of course, but speaking with their GM he was confident they could get it done and it would be well worth it over the time I would sink into doing it myself. I'll be calling on Monday to actually speak to the service techs .

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    As other mentioned: use a press.

Getting it OUT isn't the only task; you also have to get it (correctly) back in.

22. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    Got the press, but cant figure out how to support the arm while pressing them out. Such a PITA! I took the R side in after removing 3 myself... I figured it couldn't cost that much to remove 5 and press in 8.... WRONG! Nearly $700!!! Please let me know the other tools you used with the press

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    SPOM13 likes this.
  24. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    The press setup at our warehouse has a vise right next to it on a (Semi) movable table specifically for this purpose.

When you are putting new bushings in, you can put the bushings in the freezer and then A-arms in the oven at a low temp. Works very well in conjunction with the press to make sure everything comes out and goes in well.

SPOM13 likes this.
  25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Little grease they press right in. Collar I machined on the top edge I use ot press.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G990U using FerrariChat.com mobile app
    [/IMG]

SPOM13 likes this.