How to Remove Outer Door Panel and Replace Door Handle on 355 | FerrariChat

How to Remove Outer Door Panel and Replace Door Handle on 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by bcb70, Jan 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    #1 bcb70, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After owning my 355 for a few months the drivers side door handle broke. I saw several posts about this but none detailing how to do it yourself. So here it goes:

Tools needed:
    4mm hex key (allen wrench)
    10mm wrench or socket
    pencil

First to change the door handle it is necessary to remove the outer door panel.
    1. Open the door. There are 2 10mm nuts on the under side of the door. Take a pencil and trace around the washer/nut. Loosen, don't remove the nuts. When you replace the panel you want to line these up. This aligns the panel with the body lines.
    2. With the 4mm hex key remove the 2 bolts under the air intake where the door handle is. One bolt located in the center of the panel and the second is the inboard bolt of the door handle. The bolt to the rear of the handle will be removed once the panel is removed.
    3. In the door jam there are 2 10mm nuts. Remove these but be careful of the washers used as spacers. Try not to let them fall.
    4. Gently wiggle the panel loose
    5. Now remove the rear bolt of the door handle and remove handle. If your handle was broken try to find the broken piece inside the door. You'll need the threaded bumper piece from the broken part.
    6. I would suggest ordering the replacement part from Ricambi. It's a nice piece of machined aluminum and will last forever.
    7. On the door handle remove the small locking pin. A small nail can be used to push the pin through.
    8. Push the rod through the handle assembly far enough to get out the broken piece.
    9. Remove the broken piece and insert the new part, be sure to insert the spring end into the hole of the new part.
    10. This takes a little talent - push the rod through the aligned hole of the new part and door handle (this might take a few tries). Replace the locking pin. With the new part installed on the handle install the threaded bumper into the new part.
    11. Place the handle into the door. This took me a few times to get it right. Once I was able to ensure the piece fit properly I removed it and applied white grease to all moving parts.
    12. Install the rear bolt of the door handle.
    13. Gently place the door panel back on the door. Fit the tabs under the loosened nuts on the bottom.
    14. Install the remaining two bolts under the air intake. Do not tighten yet.
    15. Install the two nuts in the door jam. Be careful of the spacer washers. Snug but don't tighten.
    16. Now, align the washer/nut on the bottom of the door with your pencil marks. Tighten down the nuts.
    17. tighten the remaining bolts and nuts. Double check the door handle is functioning.
    18. Gently close the door incase something isn't aligned.
    19. Hopefully everything is functioning and aligned.

It's a simple process. I did it in about 1.5 hours in my condo parking garage.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Can anyone tell me how to link this thread to the 355 Do It Yourself thread?
    i can work on the car but can't figure this computer stuff out :)

3. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Thanks Dave. You rock!

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  5. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just wanted to say thank you for posting this fix. This happened to me this afternoon and will be my first Ferrari fix since ownership.

6. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Thank You for posting. The DYI was posted just in time. My door handle broke just this week.

Super easy to replace with these instructions.

Only thing I would add is get some Locktite as the original allen bolts were Locktited with Red High Strength.

7. TinkerF355

TinkerF355 Rookie

Jul 10, 2022
    France
    Thank you for this, easy to take off, a pin in the proverbial to put back.

Ensure the cage clips are aligned before putting everything pack together.