How To Replace Leaking Headers, Shock and worn Motor Mount | FerrariChat

How To Replace Leaking Headers, Shock and worn Motor Mount

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BillyD, Jun 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My California just had its yearly service and the dealer found leaking/cracked headers, leaking shock and bad motor mounts. :-(

Seems like just a nut and bolt job and looking at the labor estimate it doesn't seem like they have to take the whole car apart.

Anyone have access to a workshop manual or link to one or experience in these repairs?

Thanks
    Bill

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Have never seen a WSM for a Cali. Might I inquire, how many miles on your 2010?
    T

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Depending on the in-service date, I would check to see if the headers wouldn't qualify for warranty replacement under emissions laws -- it varies by state. If there are cats or pre-cats in the headers, as there are in the F430, then you might have 8 years 80k miles if it's a state that adheres to the CARB standards.

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    10k miles on it and has the power warranty.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I think it would be a nice data point for people if you can detail what the New Power warranty covered at the dealer from that list. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The headers and motor mounts are no fun to replace. You have to hang the engine from above with a special fixture, as the entire front subframe that supports the engine must be removed from below in order to replace the headers.
    This is an ideal time to replace the motor mounts, as they must be removed in order to access the headers.

It is also possible to support the engine by the oil pan with a transmission jack from below, but then you have to lower the front subframe over the transmission jack, and have less access to the exhaust/header fasteners.

The catalytic converters are separate from the headers, so they would not be covered under the 8/80 Federal or California emissions warranty. I believe the power warranty only covers the engine and transmission, so you will probably have to pay out of pocket for the repairs.
    Check with your dealership to see what is covered.

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    That looks to be the case ... Bill, if you can give a rough idea of the dealer estimate, good information if these prove to be common maladies. Have not heard of many header issues -- although hopefully will not follow the path of the F430 and earlier cars -- but have heard of motor mounts going. I'm sure the Magneride shocks are expensive if that's what's on your car.

8. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Every time I see a post about a low mileage 2010 Cali with serious ($10k+) issues I'm glad I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these. Seems to have any assurance of a "trouble free" car (is this possible for a Ferrari?) one needs to go 2012/2013 and on. Though with Ferrari's stuff can go wrong on any car at any time.

I've owned three of them so I must be a masochist. Including an F355 - one of the worst maintenance whores of the lot.