How to save Formula 1 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How to save Formula 1

Discussion in 'F1' started by senna21, Nov 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Since I am re-vamping the world of F1 management, I will make you in charge of evaluating the grid girls. :)

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack will be perfect for that. The man has great taste.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Surely it is the modern engine control and thus rev limiter that stops the blow ups, not the fact that the gear change is faster due to paddle shifting ??? I mean what happens if the driver forgets to change up? ... I do understand that for down changes if the driver pulls the paddle too early the computer will wait until the right time ... though when you think about it, is the driver really that good any more?

Just a thought.
    Pete

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    I wasn't arguing for equal payout for all the teams. Here is a quick (well not really) glimpse at my idea.

And Pete's right. The rev limiter would prevent over revs on manual upshifts but not downshifts. Pete, I also am not sure if the driver is not that good anymore.

Sometimes I long for the day when the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny...

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think though Senna21 that the travel money is bugger all compared to sponsorship money ... but I could be wrong.

Beaut quote!

Pete

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The travel money wasn't such a big deal for the European based races where the teams "just" drive their trucks to. It is an increasingly bigger deal with all the fly-away races, especially now that Bernie adds more of them to the calendar.

Speed TV actually made some interesting comments in one of the last races: They showed some of the extravagant motor homes, read palaces that some teams like Mc Laren built and now that the trend is to leave Europe, these dinosaurs become more and more obsolete.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good point, but correct me if I am wrong ... I thought that if you scored a WC point last year ALL travel was paid for??

This comment is extremely relevant and shows to me anyway how F1 has completely lost focus and NO longer is the racing the correct focus. They have moved so much into looking after the sponsors and all the BS that they are now over spending in this area.

As I have said before, somebody soon is going to wake up and state: "What the heck are we doing with this racing ****?, we can have a much better function and party at some park, club, etc. and we will be just as exclusive and we will not have the fncken noicy cars ruining everything"

That IMO is how far OFF the ball F1 currently is ... and Bernies constant moaning about pit complexes, amenties, parking, etc. just proves it. I have not heard him even talk about racing for ages, other than how to cheapen it! How about spending money on the cars ...

Pete

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Pete,

I think you're correct about the travel money: One point and Bernie pays for your 747 carrying your cars to Brazil etc.

I agree with you in general about the other stuff, but don't really blame F1 or Bernie for it: If we want F1 to be the pinnacle of motorsports, it means big corporate money has to be poured into it. And corporate VIPs want to be pampered in big monster motor homes.

Blame Colin Chapman if you must: He was smart enough to bring corporate sponsorships to pick up his increasing racing bills. It was a slippery slope from there. People like Ron Dennis and Bernie just perfected the game.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay ... Colin you bastard! ... did you not think of the future impacts of your cleverness?

Pete :)

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Thank you. Thank you very much. I'll waste no time getting to the task at hand.