How to sharpen a drill with a bench grinder | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How to sharpen a drill with a bench grinder

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by luckydynes, Aug 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    1++ Never drill/tap any aluminum without coolant or some sort of spray lube/oil etc. Nothing besides concrete can ruin a tap or drill like dry aluminum can. Goes through it like a hot knife through butter with coolant. Lots of good cheap products like Spray Tab or any other cutting/drilling lube you can buy in a spray can for $4 from McMaster, ENCO(www.useenco.com) or Grainger. At least use WD40 if you have nothing better.

2. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    one of these days we're gonna play a round against a pro . . . I just haven't had the time to mount the thing on a golf cart and work out the transformer/amplifier req's to run the servo off the 48V available from the golf cart . . it's almost as fun as playing with cars :).

3. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Well this one's probably not 101 . .. if I expect my recently purchased bbq'd 308 motor to run again I'm gonna need to make some new cam journal caps among other things for it . .. I'll have to make some tooling to line bore it all again . .. not as exciting as Mark's V12 conversion but might be entertaining seeing why I'm not getting other projects done doing "fun" things like this . .. for some reason I just love taking completely abondoned trashed f'd up "things" and making them work again . . . and when they work better than they ever did oh what a feeling :).

cheers all.

BTW the other thing about aluminum is CRANK UP THE RPM and definitely use coolant . .. small drills you almost can't get enough rpm to be "textbook" with standard knee mills and engine lathes . .. aluminum cuts like wood 'round 'ere. :) . .. I have a 2" carbide insert face mill I run at 3000 rpm if I'm in a hurry ... chips are like bullets coming off it.

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I want one of those even thoug I have a couple of mills . .. man can never have too many machines, or too much shop space . . and there's the saying, junk expands to meet available space.

cheers