How to take off the final wax or polish coat by machine? | FerrariChat

How to take off the final wax or polish coat by machine?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by woody byrd, Feb 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    After many years of detailing my cars it occurs to me that I am using expensive quality machines trying to remove swirl marks and imperfections, but in the end I am always removing the final step by hand. Are there any foam or microfiber pads used to remove the dried material. Seems like it is a waste not to be able to use the power of the machine.

2. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I usually do the same! However, I have seen a technique where you will put a clean micro fiber cloth/towel under a foam finishing pad and remove the wax/sealant/etc that way.

Hope this helps!

peterp likes this.
  3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Try dampening your Microfiber with a light misting of quick detailer. If the wax is hard to remove ( I assume a Carnuba product) try removing it as it just starts to haze over, it should come off easily. You can try refolding your MF cloth to a clean side on each panel to retain it's effectiveness too.

4. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    The problem is that if you remove the dried material with a machine, you will cause more damage than with a cloth designed for the job and your hand.
    Machine polishers are designed to use the lubricant in polishes etc, to break down the abrasives in the compound. They are only designed to be used with wet products not dry so you would be essentially grinding dust in to your paint. The other thing is you can use a very light pressure when removing by hand, you wouldn't be able to do that with a machine.

5. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    That makes perfect sense and thank you all for your comments.

little_daz likes this.
  6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Image Unavailable, Please Login This is why I do not recommend waxing after polishing.
    What ever time you spent removing angel hair scratches... you put them back with wax.
    Polish and detailer is enough for me!
    Hey Woody, show us what you are working on!

7. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Hi Michael, Nothing specific. Just playing with my revolving door of cars. Hope all is well with you. I hope someday we meet.
    Kind regrds,

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    My thoughts on waxing is do only one panel at a time and don't let it dry . . . totally. Then just gently wipe it off. It's a myth that you have to wax the whole car at once then let it dry.

9. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I agree on doing one panel at a time. There are waxes can be a real PITA to remove if left on too long.