How to tell if the manual transmission was original or aftermarket install? | FerrariChat

How to tell if the manual transmission was original or aftermarket install?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Wcl4, Sep 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    I am in the process of purchasing a 360 when I now noticed on window sticker "6 selespeed longitudinal gearbox." Does that mean the car originally came with a F1 transmission that was converted to 6sp? F1 transmission is not mentioned as an option nor listed anywhere else. It does say 6 speed manual under the gas area, but a Google search for "selespeed" talks about automated manual.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    All models were selespeed gearboxes (gear boxes were the exact same, the only difference is the shifter). If the Window sticker says F1 at the top, then it was originally an F1. If it doesn't, then it was a manual.

3. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Thank you. My heart dropped when I saw the Google result for "Selespeed."

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If your getting an inspection done get them to take a photo of the engine ecu stickers (they are located behind the drip trays in the engine bay). If it has the letters "c.e." on the white sticky label its a F1 paddle shift car, if its got "c.m." its likely (unless the ecu's where replaced) its running on manual shifter ecu's.

priericky128 and CDZLE like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Why would you worry so much? Same gearbox, same driving experience... as long as your happy with the price it shouldn't matter one jot if it was converted or not as long as it was done well. If fitted properly no reason why conversions should be seen as inferior ...

6. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Another possible way, but not full proof, is to put the car up on a lift and look at the shifter box. If its caste aluminum, that is what the OEM used. If its billeted aluminum, that is an EAG part. All OEM's will eventually have aftermarket parts because Ferrari supply chain runs out of parts from time to time. Dealers have been known to call EAG for replacement parts they make because they can't get them from Ferrari. That might eventually crash the entire OEM manual market as purists only want original parts, even when the original parts are inferior.

Sj_engr and Need4Spd like this.
  7. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Because I'm paying a premium for the car and a conversion isn't worth as much.

Flea7, Jaguar36, Shorn355 and 4 others like this.
  8. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Inspection was already done, but I can have my mechanic verify this.

9. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Not as concerned given the window sticker does say 6 speed manual and no mention of F1. Thank you all for the responses to a worry wart question.

Shorn355 likes this.
  10. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Vegas CS likes this.
  11. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Another sign is to look at the gate "plate". If there is a ferrari horse in the upper left above the reverse slot, it's probably a factory manual, if it's just smooth with no horse, probably a conversion. Not an end all be all representation as someone could have gone through the exorbitant expense of sourcing an OEM plate during a conversion, but most do not do this. But, this is another small indication besides the ones previously mentioned.

Conversion cars usually have upgraded parts and are, therefore, better sorted. But....for originality and value retention, factory gated is the way to go. Since you mention paying a premium, it's good your due diligence. I picked up an '04 gated 360 myself from a BaT vendor a few months ago. I too paid a premium and I miss the Stradales but love the manual interaction!

12. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Very true. I went to that expense in my conversion. Impossible to tell its not original. My car has fooled mechanics and long time Ferrari collectors with millions in collectables sitting in their garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Vegas CS and 24000rpm like this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

did you modify your exisiting center console or did you buy a "manual console" too?

14. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    The center console was modified. Very simple procedure, probably took EAG 5 minutes to modify it. It's the same console as the OEM gate, except there is a cut out for the F1 rather than the gated shifter. All they did was cut out the carbon fiber for the gated shifter.

24000rpm likes this.
  15. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
  16. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Image is too small and too low quality for me to make anything out. Under the EPA section, Ferrari submitted the F1 only for EPA regulations on mileage. Probably a cost saving measure, I'm not sure. Have someone inspect the ECU stickers as 360Trev recommended. No one is a higher authority than Trev on 360's in my opinion, other than maybe Maranello. Also, you can call the original selling dealer and they can verify for you.

17. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Out of curiosity, how many miles does this car have?

18. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    11k. Car needs a bit of work but that was factored into the price. A converted 6sp wasn't though, hence the rudimentary question.

19. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #19 Kent Adams, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Then you have a driver, not a collectible. 360 manuals really aren't that rare anyway and with that mileage, it isn't a collectible. Hopefully, you didn't pay F430 F1 prices for a manual driver 360. We're only talking about 10 pounds of parts here so unless the 360 had extremely low miles, its a driver. Of course, if your car has some very rare spec and color, that could change things.

20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You could always go to a dealer and have them print it out from modus with the VIN.

21. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    I guess we'll see in a few more years. Looks like there's around 3k manuals worldwide and around 700 in the US? As much as I love my 993, it doesn't make sense to me that one with 11k miles costs more and way more of those were produced.

Ffre92 likes this.
  22. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Easiest way to confirm if it is oem manual is plug vin into the DOT recall website:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

if it was an f1, it will come up as “360 f1”. If it comes up as just 360, it’s oem gated

23. Wcl4

Wcl4 Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    Thanks for replying to the original question.

24. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    When I went through my gated f430 service records in detail, at many of the Ferrari dealer service visits, the invoice would say “f1 system” serviced or checked.

I ended up getting a copy of the window sticker to confirm it was oem gated, which it was. I found out about that handy website afterwards.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Got to your nearest dealer and ask them to print a build sheet for her. Then you know everything that came on her originally, including colors.

430tdf likes this.