How to Tighten the Seat Back Adjuster on a 3x8 | FerrariChat

How to Tighten the Seat Back Adjuster on a 3x8

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The backrest of my passenger seat slowly tilts backward (reclines) until it’s headrest rests against the firewall (or stored roof panel). I must periodically rotate the big adjustment wheel on the side of the seat to return it to an upright position. My driver’s seat is fine.

The seat back appears to move from normal vibrations of the moving vehicle and takes dozens of miles before it has fully reclined. Not a biggie, but I would like to fix it. It can sit in the garage forever and it doesn’t move.

Does anyone know how to tighten the mechanism of the seat back adjuster?

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It’s a mythical process like raising the headrest which I still can’t figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

newark_308 likes this.
  3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sent PM

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #4 Brian A, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Sent you a response. Thank you!

Per Robert's suggestion, the center of the knob pop's off to expose part of the mechanism. However, at least on my seat, but there does not appear to be any means of adjustment in there.

There appears to be an unusually shaped snap-fit ring with no means for adjustment. The snap ring looks like it should be rotatable some way, but it would rotate on a fixed axle so wouldn't tighten anything.

The seat is out of the car right now, so I have clear access to the sides, back and bottom. I still can't figure it out.

Attached Files:

5. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    If you grab the black outer knob and pry the inner spring steel ring counter clockwise you can remove the black knob. Not that that solves the issue at hand but that's how that stuff is assembled I believe.