How to turn off oil change needed? | FerrariChat

How to turn off oil change needed?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F430kenric, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    If anyone knows how to turn off the message that shows up in the 458 that says oil change needed. My Ferrari techs that have worked on Ferraris for over 20yrs can't seem to find the procedure to reset the oil change on the 458. My 458 is going in to them on Friday for oil change. If anyone knows that would be super helpful. And there is not a Ferrari dealer where I live for 800 miles ish. Thanks so much my fellow f chat members!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I suspect the car wants to be taken to an SD3 and it doesn't care how much experience your mechanics have if they do not have the computer

3. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    That's what I was thinking:(. Thought maybe there might be a way to reset without SD3. Like hit brakes 3 times and push this button. Like a Lexus;). Oh well, when I go to PHX will have Ferrari of Scotsdale reset. But who knows when I will get over there. If anyone does know a way without dealer computer let me know.

4. HK boy

HK boy Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2012
    Del Mar, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don't have the exact correct answer, but it doesn't hurt to try the common procedure:

The Fiat procedure might be similar:

1. Turn the ignition to run (one position before starting engine).
    2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
    3. Turn the ignition off and then start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

A lot of low cost OBDII scanner/reader can turn off service reminder lights.

Last thing to try is to disconnect the battery over night.

5. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    SD3 is not used for 458. DEIS is used for the all cars from the Cali on up. And it is the only way that I know of to reset the service indicator. Considering how much the DEIS costs, the dealers are reluctant to reset anyone's light without having done the service. Also when the light is reset the date and milage are permanently recorded in the dashboard ecu. This data can be read and printed out as confirmation of service history. The opposite is also true...

of2worlds and BOKE like this.
  6. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the replys everyone. On my F430 or my two Lambos they change oil ect and no problem. Will have them change oil on 458 as well, but they don't have the dealer computer to reset oil light. Will just have to keep records. My 458 only has 1000 miles, but its time for oil change. I always maintain my cars.....very OCD about my cars. Again thx for all the comments.

7. ferrari930

ferrari930 Karting

Oct 28, 2011
    Nope, you definitely do not do that on any of the late model exotic cars, if you do you will find many features stop working and all need to be re-programmed again. My friend disconnected the battery on his M5 and installed a new one and that was the end of the car, it had to be towed to the dealer which costs thousands to fix

8. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Your buddy got totally ripped. On a newer BMW, it should cost about 50 bucks to register a new battery to the computer or you could buy the cable for 40 bucks and do it yourself.

9. alarriva

alarriva Rookie

Dec 22, 2013
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Larriva
    OK, this is confirmed. On a 458, only the dealer their Ferrari computer or someone with a $25,000 Leonardo computer can clear the service engine light. Which means -- want an oil change, take the car to the dealer if you want the light turned out. No one other than the dealer in Phoenix appears to have a computer to clear the "Service Stop Wrench".

I'm not happy with this, but seems to be just the way things go. I thought I was saving money by getting a 458 with far less maintenance, but in reality a 458 means I have to go through the dealer. And going through the dealer is expensive. On a recent repair which consisted of an oil change, minor service, fix a problem with air sensors the dealer quote was $3000. Both of the local independents were at about $1200 for the services. I spent $1,200 and it appears the car is fine -- but for the service wrench which I believe costs $165 to clear at the dealer. Hmmm.

I had a Gallardo before this and it didn't require me to visit the dealer. And I think I would have bought a 430 if only I knew. My 599 could be cleared, but ... got a 458? Time to "pay" the dealer a visit.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    You may find you can do this cheaply and simply as long as your car is a 1999 or newer and sold in the USA. It is federal law. I do not know about other countries.

If you check my profile you will see I have a few cars and some have the same service alert item.

I bought a device at auto zone for $39.95 US dollars. you plug it in normally at the drivers seat on the right near the feet. The device reads your computer and displays your error codes. The wrench would be one of those. you read all the codes and erase all of the error codes you do not want to display.

I have used the device on a lot of my cars and it works, simple and easy. Obviously you do not want to erase or ignore a maintenance item that needs to be looked at by a dealer.

I have not used in on my 458 because I take it to a dealer. It should work.

Good luck

Lee

11. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    it won't work, an OBD scanner will not reset a service light. The service light is not an OBDII error code.

John

BOKE likes this.
  12. Caribbean458

Caribbean458 Karting

Apr 19, 2014
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Yeah that service wrench is really annoying. Mine is up and I still have a long time before servicing!

docf likes this.
  13. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Take it to the dealer or any garage who own ferarri check up computer and able to clear it

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So if you replace the battery yourself in the 458 like others here have posted with pictures than the car is trash as you say? There is a reset procedure in the manual for when all power is disconnected and it does not require a tow/trip to the dealer for reprogramming. Just a simple reset procedure with the key dongle and reset the time/date using the standard dashboard interface. No tools required.

of2worlds and BOKE like this.
  16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Had a similar episode regarding a premature code. Took it to the Dealer with a paper copy of the service. No charge, no hassle, 15 min ordeal done! Good idea to keep a secondary paper trail of your service records.

17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I bought a version of the Launch diagnostic tool and so far it has reset service lights in both a Porsche and Mercedes. And I've always understood the Porsche light to be dealer only.

If anyone wants to try resetting a 458 service light I'd consider shipping it to let you try. I'm about 2 years until my car will need it's first non-covered oil change.

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That is not strange imo, they wont get the codes from the factory :)

20. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a 2010 458. I do my own oil changes which saves me around $800 from my local Ferrari dealer’s annual service bill. I still take it to the dealer to get the rest of the annual service done so they can “stamp” my service manual.
    (Look up my 458 oil change procedure. No need to remove the under tray panels anymore! - Piece of cake). Also, the dealer has reset my “wrench icon” eight times (each year I have brought it in for service) at no additional charge. Now....., when I took it in for its 9th yearly service, they told me that the 458’s ECU can only accept 8 “wrench” icon resets before they have to contact Italy and have it done remotely with special equipment and codes that only Italy has! It will cost me $500.00 or so to have this done! Needless to say I was pretty upset! I went up the chain of command, but to no avail. So, I got to stare at the wrench icon for awhile......until, I decided to hook up my $150 OBDII reader and see if just by chance it would clear it, and.....it did!!! No more wrench icon. And when you go to to “Service date/mile” screen on the left side of the dash, it just has - - next to the date and miles. I have no idea how to input a new date and/or miles, but I don’t want to!

Next time I go to the dealer, there will be a HUGE note on the dash reading, “DO NOT INPUT ANY DATE OR MILES IN THE SERVICE INDICATOR”!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, John Bond and evo3 like this.
  21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow, that's good news! I bought the Launch x431 Pro Mini and reset my light. It reset it to 365 days again, and removed the green wrench.
    After researching, I was annoyed that after the 8th reset, I would have to go back to the dealer. Now that I see this, I'm happy. I guess we just lose the ability to track how many days/miles to service, but I don't care because I don't put more than 3,000 miles per year anyway. I just change the oil every November.
    I'm just glad that the stupid green wrench goes away, that's all I care about.
    By the way, which $150 code reader do you have that actually clears the green wrench? I couldn't find any cheap ones that cleared that light. The cheapest one that I could confirm did the job was the one I bought, and it cost $650!!

22. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    +1.

23. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Thanks for figuring this out!

24. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    awesome. can you share with us the model number of the OBDII reader you used? thanks!

25. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Check out near the end of this video