How Utilitarian is your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Utilitarian is your Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jimshadow, Jul 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #26 Hans, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hmmm, it could be worse... This is the street that I live on. No garage to be seen. What is there is 100,000 bicycles with rather careless owners who quite frequently accidentally scrape part of their transport against your parked car. Bad enough on my 9 year old Bimmer, but not something I'd like to subject my Dino to. And so I park in my garage 3 miles from home...

(sorry for the off-season photos, they are the only pics I seem to have)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    The street looks like it could use better drainage.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I once used mine to carry the factory tool roll up to Monterey while the car was in the back of an enclosed carrier.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fantastic photos Hans. I haven't been to Utrecht, but Amsterdam was one of the most photogenic cities I have ever visited.

5. jd359

jd359 Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Full Name:
    J.D.
    Very interesting oliv928 and Hans to get another perspective, I guess we are lucky in the US. In a similar vein I'm from California and could not believe how much parking space people have in Texas! JayO, do you use carpet or something to protect the leather seats? I tried to get a Great Dane to sit in my 308 for a pic ( GTS of course ) but I think it was claustrophobic and couldn't wait to get out.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "The street looks like it could use better drainage."

LOL... Good one! :)

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #32 SonomaRik, Jul 30, 2009
  8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    You guys are brave...

Everytime I took my porsches out they got keyed or screwed with... I learned my lesson...

I never park the testarossa anywhere... which is too bad. Somewhat ruins the experience of owning one. On the flip side, the paint is original and glorious, without stone chips or scratches... :)

9. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I must be in a COMPLETELY different (way lower) economic class. Neither of my F-cars are 'beaters'.

10. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well, I don't have the car anymore (still have the dog :) ), but I used to use a beach or bath towel to cover the bottom part of the seat and then put the seat cover I had on over it. The seat covers I had were a heavier canvasy type material, not like the red satin ones. I only had her in the car a handful of times, but never had any problems because of it. Did get plenty of interesting looks driving around though.

11. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I don't think because you use your Ferrari to go to Home Depot or take your dog for a ride it makes your car a "beater". You can still take excellent care of it and do most day to day things at the same time. You just might need to wash it more often than the other guy.

12. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay

I guess that depends upon how one defines "beater". I don't even use my M-B C300 to go to the grocery yet it is my daily driver. Its now 1-1/2 years old and is as new. And my dog has never even seen the car. :p The Land Rover is the beater/grocery getter/go to the vet/haul a new battery/etc. vehicle. Our dog in the 308 or Mondial? Not a chance in #e!!.

13. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    jay0 : I am interested with your solid seat covers. what model is it ? is it exact fit to your car ?
    a stupid obsessed engineer idea : what about to protect the seats against sun with skin protection cream ? isnt it a light filter ?

14. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #39 JayO, Jul 30, 2009
    The seat covers were nothing special, just heavier weight than some others I have seen. I don't know where they came from. They were with the car when I bought it. Here is the only pic with them that I could find.

15. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Mr. JayO, as I re-read my note, included below, it may seem that I am being judgemental concerning your behavior. Nothing is further from the truth. Please forgive if that's how the note sounded. I'm just stating how I feel about my cars, nothing more. To quote my wife when I go off the deep end, "Damn it Rick, It's just a CAR." :)

-rick / Mondial QV / 308GTB / TR3b

16. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay

No worries, Rick. I didn't take it personally.