Hubi's Got the Tubi...Now He's Got To Get THIS! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hubi's Got the Tubi...Now He's Got To Get THIS!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    We'll see how you feel after you toast your first set... :)

2. RogerM

RogerM Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Have any of you guys tried the BFG KD's yet? If you really like to push the lateral limit these are fun as hell. I bet they'll improve your stopping distance as well. Not to mention launching... Oh yeah the KD's have a SERIOUSLY stiff sidewalls which may be to your advantage with the 19's for pot hole duty.

I have Potenzas on my beater car and they are a ton of fun as well. I did notice that they wear a bit more than usual while under abnormal stress. We were doing laps at a 4 corner jug handle section on the Garden State Parkway. It's not my fault we don't have a road course near us :D

3. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You really got the plate! I like it. If I see your car, I'll know its you (by the plate). Hubert, in the city, you got to be crazy to change your rims. You will be constantly bending rims, and poping sidewalls. When I lived in the city, at that time, I had 18's on my car, with 40's all around. I must of repaired at least 2 rims per year, and had to change at least two tires. Its not the money, its the shake in the car, and the aggravation of waiting to straighten the rim. Now, living on L.I., I still bend a rim here and there but not all the time. My brother has 20's on his car. They are just too delicate for the North East. Not worth the aggravation. The stock rims on your car are gorgous. When it comes to a 360, people are fixated on the curves and the angles and the sheer sexyness of the car. The car is beautiful with the stock setup. Wheels are secondary.

4. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    In my life, I've bent 1 rim (on the street). ... used to live on LI. Now live in NYC.

5. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The question is, do you use it all the time? When I lived in NYC, I drove the car all the time. When ever I hit a sewer or pot hole, I bent it. If you only use the car on weekends, to leave the city, then your OK. You drive to the bridge and your outta there. Thats my experience. Lived there for a long time. Still have an Apt. there. If I still lived in the city (full time), I would still have a sports car (in the city), but would avoid any rims over 18". The problem is, in the city, just when you think you know where the pothole is, a new one pops up. I'll be in the city tomorrow. I'll be up town and down town, then to the Bronx. I'm taking the truck! But, on my way home, on the GC, and its 80 degrees, I wish I was in the Ferrari!

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    well...i had my 360 for 4 years now and have been living in the city. i have like over 10,000 miles on it and have only cracked 2 rims. the first one was cracked all the way through hitting a big pothole on the LIE. the second one was cracked partially hitting a decent sized pothole on FDR. the last incident happened 2 years ago and i have not had a problem since. I really didnt drive the car much during the first 2 years I had it and that was when i had the rims crack on me. These past 2 years.....major mileage put on the car and no problems whatsoever with the rims. (*knock on wood*). I drive it anywhere in the city and out of the city. Not afraid to park on the street....not afraid to just drive it to go shopping in the city from my apt. I bought the car so Im going to damn well use it now! Im not crying because I may have an occassional scrap on the front bumper from little potholes or because i got a door ding or a bumper knick. F@CK that. Im no p@ssy with my car and i got insurance so no worries for me!

the reason why i have not encountered any rim damage these past 2 years is because the roads in NYC are soooo much better. if one disagrees....it means that one is not a real NYC inhabitant or one needs to MAN UP!

ive never had 19" rims before on a car so i am taking what everyone is saying seriously....but i am not scared to get bigger rims because the 18"s have held up soooo well these past years and everyone is crying about how bad the roads are in nyc, which i disagree. maybe if i get the 19"s....then i will be crying :)

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Thanks for liking my plate :)

8. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    you tellum huey **** that she ite drive the car into the ground thats what i say

a tru EC playa

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is not about where you live, how often you drive, how big is your wheel, it is ALL ABOUT the quality of the wheels. You can bend 17" if it is poorly made junk.
    Quality wheels, that are forged, will hold very well against potholes and rough surface.

I run 19" BBS LM on my E46 M3 for about 20k+ miles now in metro NY(Queens and Manhattan), hit countless potholes, few times it were mother of all holes(read big mofo'ing holes), no problem. I know others who run 19" HRE(with mad bling bling lip, that you can fit a pack of smoke sideways on the lip) without problems. Got 19" on my F355, no problem. Of course, I know people who has 19" SSR GT3 that bent in a few days.

So, get some quality 19's, drive with some caution(some guy I know with a M3 hit the same 2 ft pothole, TWICE, I just don't get it), it should be no problem. If you do fock it up, well, it is 8 bills to a G, not a life-threatening deal.

10. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would agree that the quality of the rims have a lot to do with them not bending or cracking. I also think its the tires. On my Jag XJR, I always had the stock tires, Perelli's. Last year I changed to Continental "extreme contact", and I haven't bent a rim yet. Maybe it was the tires? I grew up with the guy that owns Plainview tire, out in Long Island. He sends my rims out to a place in Farmingdale (LI) and I pay $200.00 to straighten, and refinish. Its amazing how they come out. They look like new rims. I refinished one rim on my BMW, same results. I have yet to do the rims on the Ferrari, because they are not bent and they're perfect. If you need a rim fixed, let me know, and I'll hook you up with the owner. I know him for 40 yrs, and he always takes care of me and my friends.

11. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    My daily driver was a 993 C2S with 18: Fikse FMIIs. Did 19k miles a year on Long Island, Manhattan and Washington DC. I drove slow on down town cobble stone, avoided any large holes I could, but I never babied the car or the wheels.

Never bent a wheel except: pulling out of a gas station on 25a in Northport at about 20 mph. Rim bent. Tire went flat. Needed a flat bed.

Sent the wheel to Fikse. Matt called and sent it back out immediately. Charged me very little for the repair (Maybe because I had 4 sets of his wheels for my track car alone). Was back up in a week.

A lot of these off-brand 18"s and 19"s are just plain weak. Even the stock wheels from Ferrari and Porsche are weak. Stock 5 spoke Viper wheels forged Aluminum. VERY strong. I'd get BBS or Fikse any day. I'd swear by them.

Oh, and Chris: If your wheels were BBS, I'd already have a set on my car. I'm waiting to see how you fare with them...

12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I used that place in Farmingdale when I scratch wheels. They rock. They do powder coating as well.

13. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I hear that Howard Sterns new cartoon is coming to Spike TV. That should be a ratings boost.

14. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    "52 Favorite Cars" was a ratings boost. Howard's show, if it's good, should do amazing.

I'm not holding my breath, though. I know some people that work in animation over at Nickelodeon. They're not optimistic...

15. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I agree with most of you. The quality of the wheel is the important part. Size of the wheel really does not matter.

16. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Someone wake up Hubert... Keith just said "Size really does not matter".

17. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Emil:

Wow. I did not even notice that. Edit has been done LOL!

18. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    What's with the StarTrek reruns? ;)

19. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i think hubert would like tyat ;)

20. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    We got them for a song from Paramount and they get a strong, consistent rating. Who knew?

21. RogerM

RogerM Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Most of the big name companies with step lips and forging (BBS, Fiske, Kinesis, HRE, etc...) will yield good results.

I actually came damn close to closing a deal on some Fikse's but saw the Kinesis rims and have to have them :D

Emil, are the Fikse's 2 piece? They look like they are 1 piece.

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    The Gamesters of Triskelion, of course.

"I bid 1000 quatloos" for the whole season :)

Which song did you sell Paramount? One of Shatner's Songs?
    ...maybe "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" ??? ;)

23. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    They do 1 piece and 3 piece wheels.

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Size Matters!!!

that's all i got to say about that :)

25. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Don't worry about it, Hubert, the women are only interested in your money anyway..... ;)