Hummers, escalades, ect | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hummers, escalades, ect

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What SUV do you like best?

1. chayenne

2. H2

3. H1

4. ML

5. G-wagon

6. Escalade

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ditto.

except for the Lambo LM00's

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    You make a very good point. Many drivers (regardless of vehicle) do not understand the capabilities of what they are driving. A person who has always driven a sedan gets an Excursion and tries to drive it the same way. You have to be MORE aware, trained, attentive in a vehicle with higher weight, longer braking, longer wheelbase, etc. Unfortunatley, the newer drivers in SUVs are LESS - cell phones, talking to passangers (kids), distracted, eating, reading, applying makeup. Just because you are a Cessna pilot does not mean you are a capable fighter pilot without practice and training.

I dislike most of the SUV drivers' actions, but still like the vehicles. The drivers have given SUVs a bad rap (other than gas milage, blocked view).

3. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    96-97 Lexus LX450.
    2003-newer Range Rover.
    1995-newer Toyota landcruiser

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I'd take a 2003 Range Rover...

although I have a G-wagon.

5. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I hate SUVs but own an X5 4.4 with the sport package which is a pretty darn nice vehicle. We needed something to tow the track car (a Porsche) with and have been pretty happy with BMWs. I would have preferred a pick-up but the wife vetoed and I've learned to appreciate the BMWs brakes and handling.

I hate the Cayenne's looks but would have considered it if I had a decent Porsche dealer nearby and it was offered it a substantial discount. (and I mean substantial I think it is incredibly overpriced).

What I would really like is a wagon (like a BMW, Audi or Mercedes) with towing capability.

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #31 writerguy, Feb 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The only one of these I have not tested out is the G wagon

Of the Veh listed the Escalade is not really an SUV but a really big AWD station wagon

The new Nissan Armada is good (very) but watch for the "OffRoad" package that isn't
    They sell a 2wd offroad package as I found out in the thick ooze they call mud here in Texas.
    the H2 is very capable off road and a bit topheavy on highway

VW Touareg "Tour EGG" is honestly the most livable on and off road capable one out there. Suprized me. lots less money than the Porsche.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    HATE SUV'S (are the drivers trying to compensate for something?)
    but the first, drive it off road on road luxury car was probabley the original Range Rover in the very early 70's

8. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Andrew is right - the first real SUV's as we now understand them - A/C, auto, rear seats, V-8 powered, 4WD, living larger than the Jones' next door and all the rest was the Range Rover. Used by our upper-crusty cousins across the pond. First used by the country-set and soon found their way into town..

The first American "sport utility vehicle", I see as as the 4WD Willys Wagon that came out in the late '40s. Two door with rear seats and a rear tailgate. If you look from marketing materials from that era you can see "non-farm" types going hunting and being active on and off road..

The first big snow of this season I saw many, many SUVs in ditches, smashed into guard-rails and on their roofs! Not safe one bit!

9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.

Yeah, trying to compensate for the fact that a Ferrari (or VW Golf) can't pull a race car trailer. Suprise!!!! there might be some of us who actually have them for more than soccer trips.

10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I can't haul all my moms luggage to the airport in the SL! :D

11. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Bill, its unfortunate that you seem to be in the minority, with the majority of SUV (Stupid Ugly Vain) being used by people who feel they need them to take the kids to school and to go shopping!!!
    after all the best 4x4's are the old beat up Land Rovers where you don't care if you ding the paint or get them covered in mud

Oh and I know somebdy in the UK owners club who does use his 400 to pull his race car! big torquey engine and auto trans makes them perfect for the job!

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We needed to replace my wife's Civic, and ended up with a Ford Escape. We aren't SUV fans, but we wanted something with 4x4 for winters and room to put luggage plus two dogs. The only wagon she remotely liked was the AllRoad Audi, but for a little over $25K you can get a fully loaded Limited Escape. Still one of the best bargains out there. The best thing is it isn't obnoxiously huge, so it drives and parks like a car but with a good amount of interior space.

13. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All other supposed SUV's pale in comparison to the Excursion with the powerstroke diesel. 1 ton chassis and plenty of space. I sold mine last year and bought a regular cab F-350 long box. The Excursion would tow my 6,000 lb. Bobcat and 3,500 lb. trailer with ease.

When I traded it in they said it had one of those little BMW X whatevers stuck in the drivers side wheel well. Dealer said it was kind of like a pop can stuck on a bicycle tire.

14. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    03 Range Rover,looks good fast enough handle's ok,keep the rest,

Dale.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I hate SUVs but if someone put a gun on my head i would pick an X5 or a Cayenne Turbo.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife has an H2 to haul our three children and to pull a horse trailer. I plan to get a car trailer soon and I will use the H2 to pull it too. It really is a nice vehicle and she has it loaded with DVD changer, four video screens and more for long trips with the kids. While I drive an M5 as my daily driver , I do like the H2 better than my wife's prior Suburan, Blazer and Landcruiser.

17. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    None of the above.I really don't care for SUV's in general myself.I guess if i had to have one and had a unlimited checkbook the turbo porsche seems pretty quick compared to some cars even.It's ugly as sin though.I guess that would be my pick.

18. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    LOL! Too big for me man, way too big. A good friend of mine has one and I couldn't stand driving it. I was scared out of my pants.

19. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    My family needs a large 4 wheel drive for snowy winters and comfortable room for passengers.After driving all of the above for its size ,my Escalade is good in snow and drives great.If I were to go off road she would not be my choice.As for mpg it gets the same gas milage as my 512TR ,if you havn't driven one ,than you have no idea how nice the new Escalade drives and rides other than the large size.

20. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Suburban/Yukon XL

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't like any of the "SUV's" you had in the poll. I voted for the H1 because it is the only real 4x4 out of the bunch, fugly but still a hard core 4x4 . The rest are nothing but armoral queens. I have an Expedition, and I have taken it 4 wheeling. As a matter of fact the first week I had it I tested out the 4 wheel drive, and found a problem with the front differential that I had the dealer fix right away. One guy was freeking out that I was 4x4ing in my new Expedition. I told the guy, "That's what they are made for". One of the climbs that I did, he told me that one of the front tires was completely in the air as I was coming over the top of the hill. I can't stand people that buy 4x4's and never use them. What a waist.

22. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Escalade- on 24 inch spinners bagged out 6 switches. Custom grill, and sound system nothing less then 4 w7 subs. min of 4 flat screens ONE has to be in my steering weel. OOO and you have to have the mirrors on the ceiling so you can look at yourself when bored.

You all think im jk around too.

23. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    For my off-road utility I prefer a Horse. A prancing one at that

24. cfl67

cfl67 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Learn how to spell Cayenne !

25. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    What about the Excursion 7.3 turbo Diesel ??? I have it in red and does a great job to tow my race trailer with the F40LM in it...I can push an H2 off the road if needed to !!!Now, that's an SUV....
    Roland
    F40LM