hungry about vintage | FerrariChat

hungry about vintage

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by urraco, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I have lots of questions: what is Drogo,Nembo,Lusso and some other names of that era? according to the legend waht F-car was beaten by GT40 @ Le Mans? cars like the Breadvan are they one offs? all this cars were produced in limited quantitys? how can they be classified? is the 250 a line? or how was that back then? a general classification would be helpful for starters like me . please grant us that knowledge.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    P3's were beaten by Ford GT 40 MKII's in 66. P4's were beaten by Ford MK-IV in 67.
    Lusso means luxury in Italian and refers to a model.
    250's had engines that had 250 cc per cylander. (V-12)
    Drogo refers to a coachbuilder. Nembo refers to another coachbuilder.
    I'd start by reading one of the excellent books on these cars.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with Napolis. There is an unbelievable assortment of books on vintage Ferraris available.

It's interesting that you call the Ferrari-Ford battle at Le Mans a "legend." I suppose it is, but it's also history. And auto racing history is not a tall tale, or a myth of some sort. It's a very real history, of triumphs and tragedies, and the accomplishments of real flesh-and-blood men, many of whom are still alive today.

Regardless, here's some background to get you started.

All early cars were produced in limited quantities. In fact, it wasn't until the Daytona that the factory actually stamped out sheetmetal body parts. Instead, small aluminum or steel panels were hand beaten and test fitted to a wooden buck, and then welded together. Everything was definitely built on a limited quantity basis. Usually Ferrari delegated coachbuilding to outside firms.

You ask if the 250 was a line. It was a line, yes, but of engines, not motorcars. For early 12 cylinders, the number of the car is the displacement of each cylinder in cubic centimeters. So 250 times 12 is 3000, or 3 liters. 330 times 12 is 3960, or 4 liters. 275 is 3.3 liters.

That same 250 engine (with different accessories, camshafts, and a different number of carburetors) could be used in a variety of cars. The name after "250" would (more or less) describe the coachwork. Testa Rossa, Lusso, GT, GTE, Spider California, etc.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

--Matt