Hungry-Man dinner | FerrariChat

Hungry-Man dinner

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nader, Feb 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's like having your own portable Gordon Ramsay!

2. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Put it in the deep fryer!!

Those were boss when we were little urchins! A dessert with dinner?!? We thought it was Christmas when we cracked open a Swansons!

Seriously though, when the mom in law got into her mid 90s, we bought a few of those for times we couldn't be around to cook for her. It's pretty hard to find brands /flavors that don't have a ton of salt in them.

T

4. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Nice. I haven’t had one of those in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Bet you were still Hungry afterwards. :D

In college my roommate and I lived off of these:
    Had one again a few years ago, and definitely not the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    does anybody else see the irony that this thread is under the 'ferrari lifestyle' section?

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Have to pinch pennies where you can.:D

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    They’re how I afford the gas money....

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    6 oz?!? That's an appetizer! 680 mg of salt. :eek: Of course, the Ramen that I lived on in college wasn't exactly salt free! :p
    T

10. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That **** was heavenly in college!

We used to use our Fry-Daddy every evening too. Lots of "healthy food" back then.:D

Of course I lived off tv dinners, and back then $200 at the store between my roommate and I could last us almost an entire month!

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Ate a LOT of Ramen in school. Wasn't TOO bad on the salt/sodium if you made it the way I did: Cook & drain the noodles (throw away the "flavor/salt pack"), mix with a bit of chunky/crunchy peanut butter & some hot mustard powder. Instant big bowl of "Szezchuan" noodles that tasted WAY better than the "suggested serving," and packed much more actual nutrition. :)

15 cents or so for the ramen pack, maybe 20 cents (2 tablespoons out of a BIG jar) of peanut butter, and maybe 5 cents of mustard powder. BIG lunch for less than 2 quarters!

Nader likes this.
  12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    great idea! I've got an engine out coming up!

sjd

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice! You should invite some friends over & make that for them. Very nostalgic! My room mate & I ate a lot of rice. He was Greek, I am of Sicilian extraction, so we were used to eating a lot of rice. We'd buy big bags of rice for cheap @ Food 4 Less (yep, that's the name of the store!) in Gainesville, & live off that. Since my roommate was useless @ any form of cooking, we'd split it 60:450 & I did the cooking. :) We'd mix it up with tomato sauce, grated cheese, soy sauce, depending on how much $$$ we had in our pockets. If we were flish with bucks - chicken or Spam! One month we were so busted broke, we ran out of rice about a week before our stipend checks - so we spent the entire week going to talks & seminars all over campus for the free cookies & snacks, & heading over to the various student religious groups, which usually had some free grub. Man, great memories! Not tough enough to live that way any more, that's for sure! :)
    T

wax, David_S and Nader like this.
  14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I will admit to grabbing frozen entrée or two when I'm working way too many hours. But, Jesus Man, at least grab one that is halfway decent. I generally grab Stouffers lasagna or Mac & Cheese. Or Marie Calendars' pot pies.

But also yeah back in the day I used to eat a few Swanson's hungry man TV dinners.

At least it looks like the sauce wasn't too blue so you could eat the chicken. ;)

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Gonna have to try that, but will experiment on myself first. Will also have to scout through yard sales & see if I can find one of those electric hot pots we used back in the day - would be cheating if I did the noodles in on the stove using All-clad! ;)

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Back in the day we had the "Buck-fifty feast" Oh Boy pepperoni pizza and a can of Spaghetti O's.

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  18. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  19. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    LOL, this thread reminds me of this funny video:

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you could only eat the picture on the cover! Yum! Yum! :eek:

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ LOL. I'm now tempted to try out my Iron Chef skills on a $1 steak.
    T

David_S likes this.
  22. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Alright. I'm back at it. Little background. I am the neighborhood redneck. We have three trucks parked in the driveway. Sometimes I'll move them out of the way to work on the race car and motorcycles. You can imagine the racket. Speaking of which, I do a lot of metal work. I have a tiny machine shop on my property. Lately, I've discovered the fun of knife smithing. One of my Landcruiser friends heard of this, and gave me 45 pounds of tool steel in the form of used up industrial chisels that are being used in the construction of the big light rail tunnel in Bellevue. I want to see if I can pound them into interesting things, and figured I needed an anvil to do it. So I found a 19th Century, 130 lb. Peter Wright anvil on Craigslist about 2.5 hours away in East Wenatchee.

Figured I needed a cedar stump as a stand for it. No shortage of cedars around here, so I hit up Craigslist again and found a tree service that was giving away 3/4 of a cord of cedar rounds it had cut down from a customer's yard. Not a problem, because I have a one-ton truck to haul it, and two wood-burning fireplaces to make use of the extra wood. So on the way back from picking up my anvil, I collected the rounds and brought them home. Some of those are about 100 lbs. I don't know how I was able to lift them up into the bed of my truck by myself. Anyway, now I have a bunch of rounds that need splitting into firewood, just so I could get a single lopsided anvil stand. All that wood, that big-ass anvil, that's all heavy stuff!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    And moving all of this is a lot of work. Hard labor. Builds up a real appetite. Makes a man hungry. Are you thinking what I'm thinking??...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Salisbury steak T.V. dinners are a trip down memory lane for me. As a kid, we never ate them, because my mom is a great cook and spent hours everyday making amazing dinners from scratch. But sometimes, I'd play at my childhood friend's house into the evening, and his mom, who didn't cook (but did chain smoke cigarettes and read novels all day), would heat up a TV dinner for him to eat while I watched. He would eat one bite of the steak, all of the tater tots, and call it good. Then he'd take a swig of water, swish it around in his mouth, and exclaim that his teeth were clean and he didn't have to brush them that night. His mom didn't like that, but she didn't put up much of a fight. He was the only 10 year old kid I knew with silver caps on his teeth.

Anyway, this meal doesn't look great frozen, but really looked and smelled great when it came out of the toaster oven. That's the cheap oven I bought to temper my knife blades after I've heat-treated them. How did it taste? Well, it looked and smelled better that it tasted. But still not bad. My wife thought it reminded her of airplane food, back when they served hot meals on long flights.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login