Hurricane Frances | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hurricane Frances

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Sloan83qv, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    From the computer models it takes it through Florida into the Gulf and then up the pan handle but more as a tropical storm at that point but that is everybodies guess.

Will spoil in terms of rain and some wind for sure. Sorry!

2. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Slim to none!
    The airline will not fly down here Friday night. No chance whatsoever! You are lucky if you can fly in here tomorrow night!

3. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    based upon my intricate calculations - ZERO

Scottie

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Yup, that pretty much what I figured. Were screwed, its just to what degree at this point.

Im sorta figuring that Francis will hit the panhandle as a serious tropical storm on Sunday or Monday at the latest. So if we head down as planned on Saturday our first couple of days will be a washout.... literally.

Oh well. At least to me the beach is more fun with a storm surge rolling in. May try to surf. My small kids wont like it though and neither will the wife.

Still, small problems and no real worries. I just hope everyone in the dangerous path gets the heck out. You know there will be fatalities but it just strikes me as such a waste. I mean really... if you know a Cat 5 Hurricane is heading your way what kind of moron does not LEAVE? I would be hitch-hiking my family out of there along the highway with a sign begging for help before I would sit tight in the path of that!

Terry

5. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Ya think ittle hit GA?

6. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    BROTHER BRUCE - THANKS...YOU STILL DA MAN :)

Martin - House is bullet proof for wind...like you I'm next to the water and flooding is the problem.

I'm heading for Naples in FCar around noon....you got a hotel yet?

7. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Nah,
    we are actually staying in Pompano at a friends new office building. He has built it as a hurricane shelter. Hurricane windows on poured concrete slab walls. Its easier with the cats that way.

Check with Hotels.com. There were a few high end hotels available. I am sure you can call some and get last minute deals due to cancellations of labor day vacationers.

8. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    This is unreal....no hotels available in Naples, even comfort inn, best western, etc etc

Displaced residents from Charlie... New Plan...taking the truck instead and just wing it....drive till I find first available hotel.... Even if I end up in Georgia...lol

Last post till it's over...

See ya

9. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    If there is any time and if anyone wants to store a Ferrari or other classic car, we have plenty of room at Flashback Motorworks just north of Atlanta. I'm totally serious, if anyone needs anything call us 770 781 8989.

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I spoke to a friend in delray beach yesterday, home depot is sold out of generators and batteries already

11. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    i work at circuit city in orlando and portable battery operated tvs are sold out everywhere so dont bother calling.......

12. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    well...at around 2am sunday the eye will be only miles away from my south lake county home. we are boarding up fri afternoon and I have a 10kw generator on the way.

thank you for all your concern for all of us here in florida and keep up in your prayers. its going to be one wild ride this weekend.

mike

13. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    what circuit city are you at, I was at the west colonial dr. store yesterday for a battery powered radio and other than a $90 boombox alll they had was a $19 walkman and only a couple of them

14. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Totally agree -- just visited Atlantis / Nassau as well a couple weeks ago, and those residents are pretty much in it for the long haul. :(

Local forcasters here in Jacksonville are even predicting possible landfall anywhere along the East Coast -- particularly between mid-state FL and upwards -- which means here locally as well! I guess we'll have a better idea by Friday.

A big thankyou to BRUCE and others here for your generosity!

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The property management company for the beach house we have rented from Saturday the 4th through the following saturday is telling us that we have no choice, we have to pay and that we should just come on.

Im honestly amazed. We told them that Jeb Bush is saying "dont come to florida right now" and yet they say we should come and that we have to pay unless there is an actual Hurricane warning in effect. Since such a warning for the panhandle would not be issued until Sunday or Monday and our lease starts on Saturday.... its a "screw you, pay us" deal. Currently, they are not even willing to discuss changing the dates.

We're bummed.... Ive been dying for a vacation at the beach! We want to go, but no way am I driving my family into the path of a hurricane or even a strong tropical storm.

If a property management company tells you that you must pay even if you dont come due to a Hurricane.... is that not price gouging during a time of declared emergency?

Terry

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm in Miami watching a Hurrican warning on the TV right now

As for the Property Co, Thats BS. You can get out of that easy. Just tell the Judge that no reasonable person would voluntarily go spend their vacation in a Hurricane & i believe you can get out of this

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    What's the latest on where they think it will make landfall? My parents live in Boca Raton and I am a little concerned. I can't get a consistent prediction on where landfall will be. I remember Andrew and that was no picnic. This stuff makes me nervous.

18. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST SENT 3 NEXT DAY AIR PACKAGES , WITH BATTERIES AND FLASHLIGHTS TO OUR BROTHERS FOR THE HURRICANE

ANYBODY ELSE NEED THESE PRODUCTS?? EMAIL ME [email protected]

BRUCE

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Two projection maps I've seen this morning show the center of the "cone" of the path coming ashore either around Lake Worth or Jupiter. But remember that the "cone" of projection is quite wide. One "cone" goes all the way from New Orleans to Myrtle Beach!

I may be up here in Atlanta, but my parents live in Boynton Beach..........

20. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Agreed - I saw info that said hurricane strength winds up to 100 miles from center - that pretty much includes all of S. Fla. I have friends in Boca that left this morning.

Tspringer - I was taking a look at the policies for Rosemary Beach (I have a house there and it's just down from where you are staying) and their policy is

"Refunds are not given due to inclement weather unless a mandatory evacuation is issued by the National Weather Service.

In the event of a mandatory evacuation, only the unused portion of your stay will be refunded. No refunds will be given for voluntary evacuations.
    "

I wonder if this is fairly standard language for the contracts down there??

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, newer buildings can handle a Cat. 1 or 2 type of wind, which is probably 50 to 100 miles from the center but if it hits in Jupiter, thats bad. The whole thing is scary.

22. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig

I'm no expert but the way it looks now, Panama City and a bit westward will just see some thunderstorms on Monday, maybe Tuesday too. We should be back to our "regular" weather by Tuesday afternoon. The only thing that could change this would be if Frances gets into the Gulf and intensifies -- no predictions for that so far.

23. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #49 PerryJ, Sep 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama