Hybrid V-12's are coming | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Hybrid V-12's are coming

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by F2003-GA, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have to agree with you that turbocharging is the solution if we look at an engine strictly from the efficiency point of view. It happens that a Ferrari with a V12 is much more than just the efficiency of the engine since it has that acknowledgeable ability of producing unforgettable and unique sensorial experiences. Because of their great sound from low to high pitches, especially incredible reaching high rev’s, and also due to the unique, natural and instantaneous response, Ferrari’s V12 engines are something very special and I'm absolutely sure that many of us want them to stay that way even if it means mounting these engines on a mild hybrid platform in order to guarantee their continuity.

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    With all the plumbing, the turbocharges, the intercoolers, etc, a turbocharged engine is sometimes heavier than a larger, NA, motor. But they win the on-paper fuel efficiency battle.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For what it's worth, officially the 488 (which is more or less the same car) is 10 kg lighter than the 458, with a turbocharged 3.9L vs a NA 4.5L. And it has 100 CV more, I guess a NA engine should be larger (and heavier) than the 4.5L to match that.

BarryK and F2003-GA like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Which shows that they did a great job in chassis weight reduction.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm sure Ferrari knows what it is doing and if they think hybrid is the right partner for the V12, then it should be something really special. I don't think the hybrid is purely for political reasons- of course- we could say the turbo is for political reasons also. If there weren't regulations to comply with, they might not have resorted to turbos. I don't think the move from carbs to fuel injection was only regulation, its far far more reliable and convenient. Turbos don't add either of these things. Interestingly enough, the old carburetor V12 engines produce some very similar feels and sounds to the modern ones.

As impressive as the 488 engine is, it doesn't feel anything like the prior models- either from the 458 or what you have in the F40. It definitely presents some tradeoffs vs the 458 engine in terms of emotional engagement. Some will prefer one or there other. It's just quite a bit of a different experience. The hybrid will bring with it the issue of added weight and complexity- but so do turbos- I think the hybrid likely will allow for a more natural aspirated experience - just one that feels like its on steroids. I'm looking forward to seeing what Ferrari comes up with. If they deploy the same innovative engineering they achieved with the 488, then the V12 hybrid should be really exciting!

JasonSpidey, crinoid, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said my friend

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Lobbies...Politics...Media...Public opinion....Decisions...Bam!:confused:

"In case you haven’t heard by now, the overly optimistic lab-based New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) will be replaced beginning September with the far more realistic Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) that takes place in the real world. This switch has had an impact already among several automakers, with BMW having to axe the M3 sooner than originally scheduled and withdrawing the 7 Series gasoline models in Europe for about a year. Other companies have also announced plans to retire their diesel engines from the old continent, while Audi has temporarily stopped SQ5 sales."

here:
    https://www.motor1.com/news/242409/porsche-stops-taking-custom-orders/

MDEL likes this.
  8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's just crazy o_O

9. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    i say bring on more Hybrid V12s (F12) (H?)....at least with the electric assist these big V12s will have more torque and we wont loose hole shots to the P90 and P100. Damm those things are fast out of the hole thru 60kph !!

10. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    has anyone else seen this youtube link? yikes.

Tesla's new Roadster might be lightening fast but it's still kinda "fugly".... perhaps they should be consulting with Ferrari or perhaps the other way around?

F2003-GA likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nearly all supercars are traction limited. More power won't make a difference. Those Teslas just have 4WD traction. They are toast after 100 kph though.

MDEL likes this.
  12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hyper car future is electric IMO all the next gen cars will be electric

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm so glad I've lived in the era I have. Love the manual 360 but won't mind trying an electric exotic on for size. No stopping progress.

Makuono and F2003-GA like this.
  14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Would love for ANY manufacture to make a V10 cranking 10k rpm linked to a hybrid electric :p

red passion likes this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Doubt that.
    The AMG One, the new Macca three-seater and the Aston Valkyrie will have brawny ICE. I believe that will be true for the next Ferrari hypercar too.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why not a V12? Even better!!! ;)

stavura, red passion and F2003-GA like this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, not tomorrow, but eventually. With lightweight ceramics the motors will be integrated into the wheels, freeing up more space in the body of the vehicle. Unsprung weight will not be a factor anymore with CF and ceramics. Motorcycles will get AWD, regenerative braking, &c. as will big rigs. We need a couple of battery breakthroughs, but it's coming.

F2003-GA likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Eventually most cars will be self-driving - the supercars will be (like today) a tiny part of the market, and they may follow any development direction independently of the mass-produced (self-driving) cars.

19. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    They'll follow the path to the best performance, as they always have. When that is all-electric, that's what we'll get. Ferrari may cling to the V12 for a while, but the writing's on the wall.

BarryK and F2003-GA like this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I responded to a certain comment that asserted that the next generation of hypercars will be electric. The upcoming hypercars are hybrid though, not electric.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Only when ICEs are outlawed. For the moment, they are superior to pure electric in many ways.

22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Depends upon the politics of the country in question. If all-electric comes to dominate ICE's in terms of performance before they are banned, ICE's will become boutique cars.

23. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    yep, this one from Carrera GT :D

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Sounds good to me now let's just add a 400 hp electric motor to it and tame the handling ;)

25. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011