Hybrid V-12's are coming | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hybrid V-12's are coming

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by F2003-GA, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To my knowledge the 812 is not sold out, it has just been introduced and crazy lead times are announced if ordering now.
    I remember just after the 488 was introduced, some papers were claiming 4-year lead times in some geographies.
    Just wait for 2 years and it becomes far more reasonable.
    And the 812 is a step forward from the F12 (apart from its somewhat controversial design) so it has much more to offer than the NA V12 (which is however an obvious part of its appeal).

2. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    A straight six would be nice though (not as a V12 replacement)

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    812 is sold out? i know guys being asked to buy them.

4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    #55 F2003-GA, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Yes there's weird situation out there. Went into the dealer to ask about 488VS he acted like I'm asking for the
    LaFerrari replacement and starts skewing the conversation towards an 812 :confused:
    Maybe since Ferrari have announced increased production the speculators and flippers are backing off ?

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh i think the 812s are sold out like the 458 speciales were lol

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very interesting on the battery patent but it doesn't look like an earth shattering original application?

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    F1 design decisions are heavily influenced, indeed dictated by regulations.

FWIW, the (1995) 412 T2 actually fared better than its predecessor, the (1994) 412 T1 and TB1. The problem was 1995 regulations required reduction of engine capacity from 3.5L to 3.0L. Both seasons saw 14 retirements, out of 17 races in 1995, 16 races in 1994. Bad luck played a big role in 1995 when a TV camera broke the suspension on Berger's car after it detached from Alesi's car, destroying his rear brake, causing both cars to retire, while they were set for P2 and P1 at Monza. The F310 V10 had 15 retirements in 1996 (only 16 races), F310B had 10 in 1997 (17 races).

Transition from V12 to V10 engines in 1996 were mainly for fuel efficiency, to save weight and reduce engine dimensions. Importantly, Michael Schumacher was also WDC in 1994 and 1995 and he joined the Scuderia for 1996. Damon Hill was 2nd in 1994 and 1995.

Ironically, regulations are now also affecting the design of road cars. If it weren't for regulations...

8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes, in France a 812 order is now for 2020 !

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well the UK appears to be sold out.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, Ferrari makes V6s for Maserati and Alfa, so I guess they think that a V6 is better. Still that's Maserati turf, not Ferrari.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    When Schumacher drove the 1995 Ferrari F1 car he wondered how it didn't win both titles. He thought that it was that good and he was particularly impressed by the power of the V12. Alas, the team wasn't up to scratch and reliability was nowhere as good as it should have been.

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing hurtful. For me, being the “last NA V12” has nothing to do with my reason to order, but has to do with financial timing, and that I absolutely love the tech and lines. Really loved the TDF but it was unobtanium...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I've also read that interview. What one needs to take into account and be specially wary of, is that Marchionne (and others in the industry) sometimes like to play with words, calling a V12 hybrid as naturally aspirated. Yes, it may still be considered naturally aspirated as there isn't any kind of turbocharging or supercharging to an extent and with some good will, and I understand why they jog around with words: they want to keep it as close as possible to the aura of the true V12, because it sells. But an electric/hybrid isn't the same as a good old naturally aspirated V12 engine sucking nothing but air and burning nothing other than fossile fuel, no matter how many times people may say otherwise, no matter how many times we keep hearing that hybrid V12s are also naturally aspirated V12s.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    S
    So you think the LF V12 is conflicted in some way?

stavura and F2003-GA like this.
  15. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud

Attached Files:

Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Really? So the LaFerrari is not good enough?

stavura and F2003-GA like this.
  17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The alfa romeo Giulia quadrifoglio twin-turbo 2.891 L V6 engine is extremely similar to the twin-turbo 3,8L V8s (F154) that power the Ferrari 488 or the California T. The engine despite having been developped by Ferrari engineers who chopped two cylinders outo f the F154 resulting in a peak power of 505 hp at 6500 rpm, I believe is made by alfa romeo itself. By contrast the Mazerati Ghibli has a F160 V6 engine twin-turbo 2,979 l and 430 hp at 5500 rpm developed and made by Ferrari but with less power than the one equipping the alfa romeo Giulia quadrifoglio.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    In a way, yes. Such a great car design was sidetracked with the competition from Porsche and McLaren to implement hybrids. Don't like looking in that back window and seeing those large orange jumper cables back there. Imagine the 6.5L with all the great skill Ferrari engine designers producing +900 HP without the electric. All carbon tub and bodywork and a totally worked over big bore high revving NA V12 is the pinnacle in that platform IMHO. Electric razors are for shaving. A couple thousand electric batteries soldered together is unimpressive engine design. I don't buy that a properly designed engine in a multimillion dollar car would need electric motors and huge, heavy battery modules to fill in the low end that its partially loosing from all that added weight. Lots of ways to get there with pistons, crank, intake, block, cams, ECU and differential. These hypercars mostly just sit there with their umbilical cords attached and batteries aging. Sad actually.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  19. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for this interesting find.

Whilst nothing new (amazes me that this can even be patented) in terms of battery tech what is more interesting is the packaging of the batteries. To keep a low centre of gravity I would assume a flat battery pack low down on the chassis would be preferable but this diagram suggests otherwise. I wonder where the proposed battery pack will be located?

20. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Apologies, I missed your second post. That is quite a lot of information about their hybrid intention.

From the diagrams they don’t have the surface area to have a flatter battery pack hence the thicker arrangement. Very interesting, thanks!

21. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Since the hybrid system enhances the power/weight ratio (i.e. its power input is greater than its weight impact), it's a good set up!

23. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In fact Ferrari have made it quite clear they only see hybrid as a route to increase performance, so all that extra weight has to be justified.

Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  24. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The LF is a real nightmare for maintenance and really too costly.When they must repair something , you can see many people all aroud the car...and mostly, they dont know how to start ! I can t believe such a technology on a serie s car .