HyperFlow Cats = CEL ?? | FerrariChat

HyperFlow Cats = CEL ??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Baasha, Sep 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    #1 Baasha, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
    So I had the HyperFlow Cats put on a few months ago in my CS. As you all know, I have the Capristo Level 3 exhaust on the car.

After a couple of weeks of driving, the CEL came on and I had to take it into the dealership and after an initial diagnostics check, I was told that the "temperature" in the cats was uneven and/or too low! Being Greek to me, I tried to do some more research on the matter which was to no avail and was satisfied with the dealership's answer that that was an anomaly and therefore I should ignore it; albeit until the next time it comes on! The dealership turned off the CEL and cleared the error codes and off I went, disturbing the peace in the neighborhood as usual! :D

Well, yesterday, I took the car out after a three week hiatus and drove approximately 220 miles. Towards the end of my drive, the CEL came back on! :( I was thoroughly miffed and I am now curious why this has happened again?! The whole point of spending $3000 to get cats was to avoid having the CEL on all the time as I used to have straight pipes prior to getting the HyperFlow Cats.

My first question is (1.) has anyone else with a similar or same setup experienced this? (CEL's with HyperFlow Cats?), (2.) what are my options now as when I take it to the dealership, I am quite sure they will give only a temporary solution (temperature imbalance), and (3.) since HyperFlow is on F-chat, perhaps you can explain why I am getting a CEL with your product?

It is most definitely NOT the exhaust as the CEL is tripped by the cats. I am very keen on getting this resolved so that I can drive in peace and not be worried about the CEL's. Otherwise, I might as well have kept the straight pipes on the car!

Any advice regarding this matter is appreciated.

P.S. My car is a 2004 Challenge Stradale.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

During installation of HyperFlow cats on a 360, it is critically important to move the front O2 sensor from the manifold to the pre-cat location on the HyperFlow. Hypeflow includes two cap nuts to then plug the manifold bungs. Rear O2 sensors are normal installation. In all the sealed HyperFlow packages I've seen, they even include a tech sheet (in yellow, I think) to inform owners of this requirement.

From my conversations with HyperFlow, that is the #1 reason for CEL on 360's.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#3 Ricambi America, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
    EDIT.

When you had straight pipe on the car, were the O2 sensors installed? Did you install new sensors when the HyperFlow cats were installed?

4. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I ordered my Hyperflows from Daniel at Ricambi over a year ago, and never had a CEL. Hope you resolve the problem.

5. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    I have Capristo 3 + highflow cats and i have CEL time to time. If it happens, its practically always when the car is still not warmed and i push throttle more than normally. I dont care about this since its just sometimes. I just turn off battery by switch in trunk and problem is solved. BTW just got CEL today morning when i was leaving garage.....

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    I had the same problem you describe in my CS with hyperflows. CEL would come on; would get it codes reset at dealer; three or four 10-15 mile drives later CEL would come on again. Had it reset about 5 times. Finally, the mechanic relocated the CO2 sensors, as suggested above, and no more problems.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    No CEL on my CS after 3 years still, or my 430 after 6 months

8. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Not to hijack the thread, but would the sensor mounting procedure also apply for the Fabspeed cats as well? I'm asking because I have the Fabspeed cats on my car, the CEL light came on due to a front O2 sensor, and the sensors are still in the factory locations in the manifolds.

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    CEL light is not specific to the 02 sensor. Could be fitment, manufacturing or exhaust issue. Also, not all after-market cats are created equal and personally I wouldn't compare Fabspeed to Hyper-Flow.

10. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I have had hyper flow cats with the tubi NGT exhaust for almost 2 years. This is the first time it came on. I leave in south florida and also this was a cold night for us. 56 degrees.

I needed gas and when I stopped the cap was not on very tight. I turned off the battery switch in the trunk for 10 minutes while filling the car and started it up. The light is still on ;(

what should I do ???

11. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I had hyperflow cats with Tubi exhaust on my 02-360 and never had cel on.

12. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    On a side note, you don't have to keep taking the car to a dealer to clear a CEL. Just buy an OBDII code reader, plug it in (under the dash), read then clear the codes yourself, a piece of p!ss! There's no need to switch off the battery switch and go through the ECU re-learning process. :)

13. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    a buddy has on, the code was P0431 and then we cleared it. Does anyone know what the code is ???

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Derek is right. I bought an OBD and have used it several times to understand what the problem is to determine if it needs to go into the dealer.

As for your code, I had that code before and saved it for when I took it to the dealer for its service. It turned out to be an oxygen leak, a sensor was loose--they tightened it and problem solved.

15. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    if I reset the code, will the warning light come back on if it was NOT the gas cap or too cold and the car was not warmed up ???

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    First you need to understand how the 360 EC system works; the system does not check every system every time. According to Boardwalk Ferrari, the system checks various components of the engine at different intervals. This means you may not get an engine check light right away, but maybe a week later. It is important to save the code to see if it continues to reappear. If it does, you should take the car in and have it checked over.

17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Here's what I would do; reset the code (after writing it down and the date it came on), monitor the car's performance very carefully--does anything feel different, sound different, smell different (hope not)? These cars are very easy to read when something is off, they will communicate with you if you really pay attention to them. Reminds me of an old girlfriend, but I won't go there.

If the code comes back on, and you have noticed no change in the car's behavior, I would take it in so they can chase down the culprit. Usually they can do it relatively fast. They used smoke through the system to find my leak.

18. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thank YOU
    enjoy the rest of your day

19. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Yep, as BA mentioned, code PO431 is an "Oxygen Sensor" problem. Isn't this site with it's knowledgeable members great! ;)

20. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    HI
    It is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports.

Most of the time CEL lights on 360 cars are a result of forgetting to re-install the 2ndary 02 sensor in the 02 threaded port that is "after the sports race catalytic converter". On USA 360 cars you have to unbolt an adele clamp on the airbox and that gives all 360 cars about 12" longer 02 wiring harness ........then you screw this 2ndary sensor into the port after the catalytic converter. Most CEL lights on USA cars are a small but annoying error of screwing in the 2nd sensor before the race sports cat. You wont hurt the car but it is yes annoying.

When we made sport cats we added 1 bung before and after the catalytic converter. This way our systems fits both USA 360 cars and EURO ROW cars. Most likely you have to move both 2ndary 02 sensors after the cat and you will be fine.

If the problem persists and will not go away then find out what company manufactured the actual catalytic converters and ask the following:

1) How many CPSI- cells per square inch. This let you know how well they will flow and how well the cats will scrub the exhaust.Stock OEM cats are usually 700 CPSI. Ferrari used ceramic cats (glass) and these are notoriuos for cracking, breaking and crumbling apart. 200 cell German race cats flow much better and the larger cells per square inch are comparable to "chicken wire versus a coffee filtr screen".
    2) Are the catalytic converters OBD-2 compliant?
    3) Are the catlytic converters EURO 4 certified ?
    4) Are the catlytic converters TRI-metallic?
    5) Where are the catalytic converters from- country of Origin?

If the car still has issues then the cheapest and quickest "doit yourself" solution is oxygen sensor simulators which are 02 extenders that pull the 2ndary sensors about 2" 50mm out from the exhaust flow and trick the CEL light off. These CNC machined pieces should be installed with high temp antiseize into the 2ndary 02 port and then antiseize the 2ndary sensor and you should be good to go.

Fabspeed offers the 02 simulators for cars with CEL lights that wont go away which can be a result of faulty cats, catalyst efficiency below thresshold, or the many Gung-Ho track DE customers that run catbypass pipes. Usually these O2 sims permanently keep a CEL light from coming on. As these cars become older and new 2009 cars gt even more sensitive 2ndary 02 sensors CEL lights will become much much harder to keep off. Porsche 997 Twin Turbos have wideband 2ndary 02 sensors......Ferrari cars are much less sensitive.

Have a great weekend
    Joe Fabiani

21. scifoso tifoso

scifoso tifoso Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    John G
    Lol, would love to hear about that one.

22. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006