I am going to Iraq | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I am going to Iraq

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 96impalaSS, Apr 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If I want to go back into teh Marines they said I'd have to redoo bootcamp to prove my injuries are not that bad anymore. I still have the scars from the sand fleas and fire ants from the first time I was there there is no way I'd do that again :).

I'll have to check into what Ralf said about finding a unit from somewhere else that has Infantry actually. Everything went fine today and I'm pretty sure I'm good to go. The only thing I'm concerned about is being so out of shape compared to all the kids that are fresh out of recruit training since I won't be having to go through bootcamp again. I gotta start getting ready now. I also hope my back and knee holds up allright but it should I havn't had any real pain in it for awhile now.

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    A friend of mine was in the Army for several years doing some pretty gung ho training with rangers and such. He was already out by the time 9/11 caused everything to heat up. But he got tired of the working in the private sector with the corporate world's undisciplined way of doing things; favoritism, goldbricking, people in charge who don't know anything and are never held accountable, etc. So he just went down and joined the Air Force. Since he already had Army service, there was no boot camp. Just a few weeks of orientation type schooling. And since he had extensive Army type combat training, he told me that nobody messed with him because even the officer types respected his infantry background. Maybe the Air Force needs you.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Shoot straight. Remember......Front sight.

4. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    Semper Fi

My little bro just got back

5. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    and its 1.2.3 what are we fighting for..
    hell i dont give a damn...
    next stop is ... the Iraqee man..
    and the next vietnam

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for all your support. I was talking to the recruiter today and he said all I will have to do is a 2 week mup school (or whatever they called it) and I'll be in. Being Prior Service kicks ass. They said I probally wont leave till Sept. because everyone leaving in July are Cannon Cockers and are switching to MP. I walked into the Armory today wearing a MArine shirt and so they started giving **** for that and when I took it off I had my dog tags on and another marine shirt on underneath. I thought that was pretty funny. Also I kept calling this E-7 a Gunny and the guy said they would have to break me of that habbit because they jsut call everyone seargent in the Army. This is going to be a whole other animal all together I think.

Sorry about any mispellings Ive been dirnking and am too lazy to correct them.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Vietnam is not pronounced the same as man.

8. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You may want to consider a knee brace; if your knee is giving you problems. It should really help to some degree. It will provide support.

If you are going for 18 months, why accept an MOS that you do not have anywhere in your heart ? You need to get on the telephone, and call ARNG Infantry Battalions. Another State ? - No problem. Remember - They still send soldiers overseas to units, that have already deployed OCONUS. You can also find units that are about to deploy. Do you really want to cross-train into a boring MOS ?

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been thinking about that alot and with the FO MOS I will still get to be infantry pretty much so it will be fine. As long I can go out with the bullet catchers and do what there doing I will like it. Another interesting thing is is that I don't even have to go back to the MEPs center to redoo a physicall because it's only been three years since my last one.

What does OCONUS mean?

10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I am toying with the idea of trying to catch the end of a deployment. Perhaps 120 days ? 11B - You know. - Get the concert shirt !!!!

OCONUS - Outside Continental United States

FO should be some cool hi speed stuff.

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is 11 Bravo infantry in the Army? They told me I wouldnt have to do all the ITB (or as they said AIT) because of my previous experience with 11 Bravo. We called 0311.

I need to get out of the habbit of calling the Marines us and the National Guard us instead.

12. gbrown37

gbrown37 Formula 3

Feb 15, 2005
    San Diego/UCSB
    Full Name:
    Garrett
    wow dude your a fukkin patriot if i ever saw one. thanks a bunch man, its great knowing that there are people like you, people who want to put their lives on the line for the rest of us back here. stay safe, kick some iraqi ass, and let us know when your back. try to have some fun too kickin ass. peace. thanks again.

G

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    11 Bravo is Infantry. My MOS is 21 Bravo, Combat Engineer.

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it possible to switch from the National Guard to Active duty Army after awhile?

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Definitely. No problem. The only possible issue ? Passing a physical. However the NG physical should be the same as the R.A. (regular Army).

You are going to have to learn all kinds of new terms. Latrine, ruck sack, A-bag, LBE, mess kit, BDU, R.A. etc... Perhaps some are the same as the Marines ?

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All the ones you listed are different. We call a toilet a head, a E-7 a Gunny, and a window a porthole, and also the floor is a deck. It's all different.

The only things I even recognize from you listed was latrine and BDU we call them a Head and Cammies.

Edit. A ruck sack is what we called MOLLY gear, use to be ALICE pack.

17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The only problem is that when everyone is in a hurry to meet an SP time, they are all going to talk in terms you do not understand. Sgt gives the warning order. Get ......... done, and prepare to be at the AA at 1400. The ops order will be given at 1330.

WTF ?

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Damn all I understand from that is the military time, ops order and the warning order part. I gotta study up. It will be like learning a entire other language.

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

LOL

I understand what you are talking about. I do not know the Navy terms !!

20. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Well, I hope your motives for this move are fully sorted. If not, they might be edified through trial by fire. If your motives are not supported by management--I mean the Pentagon--I hope you will report it all in this forum. Scratch that: I hope you will provide uncolored reportage of everthing you see.

Regardless, may God keep your body and soul safe.