I Bought Back My First Ferrari | FerrariChat

I Bought Back My First Ferrari

Discussion in '308/328' started by blu308qv, Jul 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    In 1983, when I was in college, a poster of a Blue/Creme 308 hung on my dorm room wall. I made a decision, one day I would own that car.

My first Ferrari was a 1983 308 GTB QV. It was Blue Sera Metallic with Creme interior. And best of all, it was Euro version. The Euro version has the smaller round side mirrors, the exposed rear end under the bumper and it was lighter and more powerful than the US spec version.

I originally bought it in 2007 and sold it 2011. It was the worst car decision I have ever made. I regretted it the day it shipped to the new owner. Since, I had reached out to the new owner often asking him to sell the car back to me. No luck for ten years.

Finally, ten years later, he agreed to to sell it back to me and we did the deal. I could not be happier. I’m not even taking delivery. The car is currently on a truck being shipped to a Ferrari restoration company. I’m doing a full bare metal, every nut and bolt restoration to bring it back to its original luster on the day it left the factory new. Also, he only put 3000 miles on it in all this time. Which is great.

I’ll keep this post updated as the restoration progresses.

Below are some original pics of the car in 2008 when I was the owner.

NeuroBeaker, Saabguy, VAF84 and 23 others like this.
  2. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Saabguy, mcimino, miketuason and 4 others like this.
  3. DeRRis

DeRRis Karting

Nov 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dennis B
    Congratulations, she is beautiful.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  4. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Rosey, kcsun, aseweepay and 1 other person like this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Always nice to hear a love story

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man that’s gorgeous!

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congratulations - that's a beautiful GTB. Looking forward to the progress updates.

8. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Thank you. I’m so excited to do this project.

Du_Man, lm2504me and DeRRis like this.
  9. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That blue looks really good on that car.
    Doug

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Congrats! It's still gorgeous - is there something to be fixed that lead to the decision for bare metal restoration, or just a desire to make it like new?

Gordon

11. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Nothing really stand out wrong. Even when I originally got it, the paint was a bit chipped up on the hood, front spoiler and the lower doors. Nothing horrible, just years of rock chips. There is a big scratch on the hood and there is a rust bubble on the rear quarter panel (tiny, and never got any worse). Refreshing the paint would bring it to a new level. Also, the suspension needs to be completely redone. Age has deteriorated much of the softer pieces and the shocks are original, 38 years old. And yes, I just want it like new.

kcsun, GordonC and Thomas Magnum like this.
  12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe place it in preservation class w minor touchups. if going that route dont repaint the shocks.

13. robertcope

robertcope Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Robert B. Cope
    Fantastic story and a beautiful car. I am personally a big fan of RED, but that blue has my interest, for sure... maybe I need a second 3x8 in blue for the wife?

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Other then the fake side shields, bringing the gold wheels and the red rocker covers back to factory, the interior looks original and in pretty good condition.

15. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I seem to remember this 308. Did you post pictures back when you owned it initially?

16. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    How old are you? Fake shields? Obviously, the “fake shields” are are not a metal factory option, but they are the resin shields and OEM Ferrari factory parts and back in the day they were very common on the cars.

17. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Yes.

18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    How old am I ?? What does that mean??

I say fake shields as no 308 GTB QV has shields fitted to them from the factory. They may be Ferrari OEM factory shields stuck onto your car but they are not designed for 308 fenders and yes, I know how common they were in the day being factory fitted to either racing cars or limited edition models (like the 288 GTO) but your 308 is neither of those.

And to top it off, under current international judging rules, if the car was being judged with those "fake' owner added fender shields it's a loss of a least one or two points (I'd need to check) so you'd already have points deducted off the car before any other items where inspected to try to achieve a platinum award again.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Come on guys you are getting way off the spirit of this thread. Personally, I would kill to have that Quattrovalvole. Very big congrats!:)

alex, JAM1, kcsun and 3 others like this.
  20. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I don't care if you have shields or not. That's a beautiful car! Keep us posted on the restoration.

sjd

Jakuzzi and Kent Dellenbusch like this.
  21. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Yeah, there is always gonna be people with very strong opinions on these threads. I never take it personally.

22. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I didn’t mean anything personal on that. I was just curious if you were around in the 80s and saw the popularity of the resin shields. I apologies if that was taken negatively. It was in no way meant to slight your post.

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I was born in 1969 and actually remember reading about the first 308's in Road and Track in 1976... no offence taken.

I guess my big thing is how they came out of the factory- that's just me personally.
    That and jokingly having OCD helps me when I assist with judging at Ferrari events.

On the other hand it's the owners car and he has every right to do whatever he wants to it.

I agree with Kim, it's a stunning car and you should be very proud of it.

Moving on to my other part of the question, what are your plans with the alloys and rocker covers?

dinoart likes this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love this story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk