I can't find this Daytona engine Spec ANYWHERE! | FerrariChat

I can't find this Daytona engine Spec ANYWHERE!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dino clay, Dec 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    In all books, and everyone I have asked.. No one can give me the spec for:

What is the cylinder head thickness (stock dimension - NEVER been resurfaced!) for cylinder head thickness for Daytona cylinder heads!

Looked everywhere, universally everyone says they will get back to me only to be told they can't find it!

There has to be a spec somewhere????....

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #2 2NA, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    Not a number I've ever seen anywhere.

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #3 Crowndog, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    127mm from bottom of cam tunnel to face of head

6. Das Rhinegold

Das Rhinegold Rookie

Mar 11, 2011
    Well meaning posters are no doubt well intentioned, the reality is that-in my experience, whuch is rather extensive-there is NO specification in ANY publication released to the 'public" and or through to the dealer/distributorship network, which has stated this particular dimension.
    While generally included in all late model workshop manuals in the basemento/cylindri testa
    sections...in "vintage WSMs, this sort of technical dimesional material was typically excluded as these sorts of measurements are meant for machine shop procedures of the highest skilled levels, with no data, no damage can be done by "incompetant americanos"....

127 is a number which is close....if the camshaft housing bore were bisected, then that amount added to the 127(is it the same as head thickness for a 400i ?!!?)...I think THSAT is the number of an UN-SURFACED 365 GTB/4 head....

I "think" ALL 4.4 liter, "wide cylinder bore" blocked heads are the same thickiness from the parting surface to the machined surface of the split facing for cam caps on the uppur surface..

others care to offer opinions....

7. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    You are right -- very old notes of mine. When I look again I wrote bottom of cam cap not botton of tunnel

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You would think someone somewhere has a head laying around somewhere, one, just one, somewhere in the world.

9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    It is an important dimension-especially for a quad cam, gear driven valve train
    It has never appeared inANY open source publication that I've ever seen
    I've been rebuilding these for over thirty five years and machine shop remanufacture of blocks and heads for 25 or more...
    Never seen It in any "book"
    Blueprint access is another story....
    I HAVE seen an internal diagram which indicates a range of 127-127.20mm
    Fwiw....

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm curious as to why you need the information. Are you planning to cast new heads or perhaps building up a set that have been resurfaced a few too many times?

The only place I can see that dimension being used is at the Factory (Classiche?). Perhaps someone with a good contact there might be able to get it but I wouldn't be holding your breath when you ask.

Doctor Mark likes this.
  11. gtospoons

gtospoons Karting

Jun 16, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Withers
    127.0mm. exactly, face to face, measured using vernier calipers on my original heads which I am taking off today.
    Chris

12. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I posted the same question concerning the Dino 246 heads today. As has been stated, the head thickness specification is just not published. So in our case, we need to clean up a 246 head surface but are not sure if it has been milled before. We do know the engine has had a rough life with unskilled workmanship in a past life, and very likely has seen head work. Without an original head thickness specification, how does one know if there is sufficient metal left to clean it up, as the allowable spec on that is noted in the workshop manual as 0.002 to 0.004 in.--not much! I've worked on many Alfa engines and the specification for thickness is known (eg a 1750 cc 4 cyl. head is 112 mm). I talked with a mechanic friend today who is checking to see if he still has the damaged 246 head they took off of a Dino that had never been taken off before; if so he will measure it and I will publish the number. Should anyone else out there have an original 246 head that they know has not been milled, we would welcome a measurement. Thanks, Steve

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Could you turn the engine so that the highest part of the valve train is at its highest, then put some clay or putty on it, and re-install the heads? Then measure the thickness of the thinnest part of the clay/putty. That should give you the available clearance. (I think...)

Matt

14. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, that method will let you know the valve to piston clearance (with compensation for the head gasket) and is especially helpful when installing high lift cams. On the 246 heads, the valve seats are close to the head surface, at least on this engine. Like others have said, knowing the original thickness is the most helpful and it is just baffling that a spec. like that remains such a mystery.

Smiles likes this.
  15. SWSDino

SWSDino Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just wanted to report in this section (first reported in 206/246 section) that a NOS Dino 246 head was measured at 124 mm head thickness. Still don't understand why it's so difficult to find this info for Ferrari cylinder heads. Regards, Steve