I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history...

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom

I first became aware of it last year when came across this video:

My first thoughts were yeah okay then................. However in an article in Motor Sport magazine earlier this year Pat Symonds eluded to the FIA being interested in this new technology.

The fact the FIA have now openly suggested this is the direction they are going adds more weight to it.

Essentially you can run any spark ignition internal combustion engine on it, and what comes out the back is effectively recycled into more fuel.

Of course this kind of heresy does not fit in with certain already established agenda's, and no doubt why it has not been made common public knowledge - you have to dig around to find it - but once the technology has been refined and perfected............

Not to mention the petrochemical companies already have the infrastructure to produce and refine it on a massive scale.
    Most likely they are already well into research now that the cork has been popped !

william and tifosi12 like this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that link. ETH Zuerich nonetheless, whoa!

I'm fine with this. Latest and greatest technology that is expensive, exotic and needs a test bed: Sounds like F1 is perfect for this. As long as they don't become Formula E.

william and Tackleberry like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome.
    And of course you know how much F1 wants road car relevance these days.................

william likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well you win on Sunday and you sell an AMG F1 Petronas Mercedes on Monday. No problemo.

william and Tackleberry like this.
  5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    7-day ban for Flavio_C, posting P&R.

Flavio_C likes this.
  6. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    IS this serious? Methanol and ethanol have been used as fuel, or a fuel additive to petrol, for decades. Indycars were burning methanol before most people on here were born. While ethanol has become political tool over the last couple of decades and a prop for the corn industry, it can be made from just about any plant matter and can be made from many grass type plants otherwise considered weeds. A lot of issues that make it unsuitable as a stand alone fuel for street cars don't' really apply to race cars with their short periods of use and high maintenance / part replacement schedule.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm aware of ethanol but this is different. And yes, if ETH Zuerich is behind it, then it is serious. The issue is (as you can see when you watch the video) that the harvest is minimal: They run their setup for a day and end up with a deciliter of fuel. OTOH this is only a proof of concept test by the university.

Tackleberry likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It will come to a political decision. Will we dedicate more land to produce crops for fuel rather than to produce food ?

9. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Treading lightly here as I don't want another political ban. But it doesn't need to take up that much space. If we drop the corn subsidies, then you could make ethanol and methanol from grass and weeds, massively reducing the amount of energy/resources we are currently using to plant, irrigate, apply pesticides and harvest etc. Then we could actually make a truly more eco friendly fuel. That's it for now. See you in a week post ban!!

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Tackleberry likes this.
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    At least it has the high speed diffuser in the right geometry !!

12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    This is an excuse spread in Europe so to justify protectionism. Plenty of land available and already in use for ethanol production in the Americas.

Bas and william like this.
  13. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    Problem: ethanol production uses huge amounts of water so conflict arises with any drought conditions --a big topic in the Midwest about 5 years ago.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ethanol is merely in interum state used to ameliorate petrolium until battery power becomes 98%-ile sufficient.
    It is the ICE which is becomming the dinosaur.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    Plenty of surplus food mountains sitting gathering dust in warehouses across continental Europe.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Depends on what is being grown that needs water. Corn in the midwest--yes. Switchgrass in the south--not so much. The best source of it for it to be ecofriendly rather than use up farmland is cellulosic biomass.

17. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    When 40% of the corn crop in the US is used for ethanol, can ethanol go away quietly?

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It's not a problem in Brazil.

Bas likes this.
  19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    How come ethanol is an "interum" state if it has been used as fuel for 40 years?

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Plenty of consumers for ethanol...............

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ethanol was not used "for a long time" 1885-1975
    Then Ethanol was used to streach out the amount of gasoline we could produce -- modern era
    When the ICE is no longer made--what will Ethanol be doing as a fuel ?

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. And what stops people to build greenhouse skyscrapers? Artificial light and hydroponic watering will ensure crops are essentially guaranteed to be successful and unaffected by natural forces.

william likes this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Another technology I would liked to be developed to grow food in cities, as originally intended.

Bas likes this.
  24. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Please explain. Will subsidies go away? I think there are 4 different ways taxpayers are being gouged by the lack of economic benefits of ethanol as currently produced.

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There are 7.7B people in the world.
    50% of all people dring.
    Supply versus demand.
    You do the math.

Turn subsidies into taxes.......

We need to throw out the congress critters who tax people to subsidize the growing of crops to make ethanol, and then tax them again when they put ethanol in cars that eats up the fuel system components. One should not be turning food into fuel.

kes7u likes this.