I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

I didn't think I'd see it this fast, ICE is history...

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I believe if more research was done on making the ICE hydrogen, it would be further ahead of the EVs.
    EVs still need energy and fossil fuels to get electricity. Because your homes and charge stations go through Power companies.

I'll say it again, EVs have made motor racing boring, but look at how well Nio and Tesla stock did last year.

Nio is possibly the best performing stock for the whole year from 3 dollars to 50 dollars in between a 12 month period.

People are becoming lazy and hippies. Autonomous technology and EVs. With this pandemic, time has sped up into some sort of Sci-fi movie.

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Interesting article out today on auto car finally coming out and saying ev is better; but not by much against ice!!!

Optimistically and EV has to be driven 15,000 miles before any benefits are realised over ice, pessimisticly it’s 45,000 miles.

And if idiots stop buying stupid SUVs and 4*4s...!

At the end of the day, wether we drive ice, or ev or Fred Flinstone, we are in affecting pissing around the edges of the real issue....too many people on the planet!

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    ICE still have a long life... Only EV is a pipe dream.

Bas likes this.
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well, I think it depends on the type of the crop.

Bas likes this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I introduce you sugar cane:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    How many cars they have delivered in the same period? o_O

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It may fluster the greens, but the only sustainable EV future requires lots of nuclear power plants (LOTS).

kes7u, jpalmito, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    This has been said since the 18th century... But since then life has been improved continuously.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Bas and ChadR like this.
  10. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I do not even know. It's a chinese EV company.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Malthusianism theory revisited !

So far proven wrong.

12. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I want to believe it, but EVs are so.... simple, and there are so many youtube channels of people building them with old ICE vehicle shells.

Believe me when I say they're basically scaled golf carts...

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Fully agree with you.

14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    So far.....

take economics out if it and nature will provide you with more than enough examples.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If people stopped treating cars as throw-away appliances we wouldn't be in this situation. It's these cheap, worthless cars that people buy on PCP (finance not the drugs), and then dump at the scrapheap and get another car on PCP that's the wasteful bit. And those same people will do the same thing with EV's...which will be even worse for the environment.

A Ferrari/Lamborghini/Bentley is one of the most environmentally friendly cars you can buy. They tend not to get scrapped unless they're crashed so hard the car is unrecognizable. And even then the last salvageable parts are taken off it and used as spares for the same cars that are still on the road. It doesn't matter if the car is 70 years old, an owner will keep it alive. These cars have already been build so don't need the energy it costs to make them again.

Yes it's easy to stand here and say ''Everyone, if you want to save the planet buy a Ferrari''. Lets move down a few notches in affordability of a car. In the UK The VW ID3 costs £32500. It's not special in any way so we can safely assume that after it's 3rd owner it'll find it's way to the scrapheap.

What can you buy for that money that's already been build, but also be reliable and crucially, something that's a bit special so people want to keep it alive as long as possible? Well what about a pristine E39 M5 for starters... Yes it's not new so will have running costs, but by the time the PCP deal ID3 gets on to be sold that'll have cost a damn sight more in depreciation than the E39 M5 will have cost in general maintenance, and that's not taking into account that it'll actually go up in value. I can go on for days on the subject.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11058871?cId=10062738&cId=10809193&cId=10139872&cId=10652848&cId=11058871&cId=10951015&cId=11106251

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flavio_C likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Have you ever considered that by renewing their vehicles, customers ensure that the cars on the roads are safer, more economical and fitted with the latest technologies? In the process, they also help the economy by supporting the automotive industry that provides jobs, etc ...
    Most of the people who hang on to older luxury cars do it as an investment, but also have a daily driver, invariably a modern car.
    The 2 can cohabit, but you have to take all these facts into consideration in any discussion about cars.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    '57 Chevy Belaire
    '65.5 Mustang
    C1 or C2 Corvette
    Maserati Bora or Mangusta
    '69 SuperBird

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I thought we had to safe the planet, lol.

Which I why I think it's all utter BS. If it really was all so dire, something would've been done about cargo ships for example. And those EV driving smug know it alls wouldn't be driving EV's at all. They would take public transport or their bicycles....and work from home more. It's about tax and control.

kes7u and Flavio_C like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Classic cars won't save the planet, if it needs saving.
    Cargo ships operate in oceans that absorb a lot of CO2, hence they aren't as much polluting as land vehicles, even if measured individually they seem to.
    Anyway, I have doubts that climate change is man-made. I believe that climate changes are cyclic on the planet.

kes7u likes this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    absolutely right on that.

kes7u likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But the air we breathe in cities is highly polluted, and that's why I think electric vehicles are a good idea there.

Also, the effort to reduce CO2 brings more fuel efficient ICE cars, and that's positive, IMO.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm on board with all that.

Completely forcing out ICE is wrong however and (as usual when governments attempt to do something) poorly thought out.

kes7u and william like this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Yeah, but that's not the point. First of all, you need a ton of rare minerals to produce these batteries. Second of all, the range and easiness of refuelling make them impractical for long journeys. They can work well in the city or short trips, anything else they are far from ideal.

ChadR and william like this.
  24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Agree with your first point, disagree completely with the second.

25. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    The more the world's population grew, the more it improved its life: less people live in poverty, more people are better fed, and their life expectancy got better and better.

william likes this.