I finally got an Ascot tie again. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I finally got an Ascot tie again.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Watch over the cuff story Don't know where I read it but it makes sense. Agnelli was on a ship. He and another officer looked in the distance and saw a torpedo fired from a surface vessel toward them. They knew the distance. They knew the speed of that kind of torpedo. Agnelli looked at his watch worn outside the sleeve. He probably had another second to run for cover compared to the other guy trying to uncover his watch.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Makes perfect sense. From now on whenever I'm up on deck of a ship during wartime in waters patrolled by the enemy I'll wear my watch over my cuff.

Reacherman1022 and JP365 like this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What are your recommended sports car driver sunglasses? I can list some types but wonder if there are some that really are better for the job.

MIRRORED AVIATORS seems like pilots been wear teardrop shaped aviators since WWII, particularly MacArthur era. Now they have mirrored lenses, sometimes with gold to the coting.

WRAPAROUNDS there is a myth that you can get ticketed if you have the kind that has little windows on the earpiece but good if there's dust or sand blowing at you. a variation is side pieces with a see through screen, The screens cut don on glare and give more eye protection in case of wind.

GRADIENT DENSITY can be added to custom sunglasses, where it is dark but bottom is clear, That way if you forget your regular glasses you can still drive home looking through the clear part.

FLIP UPS I have one pair, prescription on flip ups I bought at a clothing store that have flip up sunglasses attached to the top that sing up out of the way. They are round and look a little Steam Punk

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    The classics are Persols and the RayBan Wayfarer. Wore tortoise wayfarers for several years, and then I saw Lou. Polarized RayBan Baloramas. Ken Miles wore them as well. My other favorites are Maui Jim Typhoons and Costa Del Mar Harpoons. I also have polarized tortoise RayBan Club Masters. The nice thing about the Costas, is that you can specify almost any color glass or plastic you want for the lenses. They were designed for sport fishermen and have amazing anti-glare properties. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Love it!

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It’s called sprezzatura - Agnelli was a master of it (but I agree that watch over cuff isn’t really great).

7. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just started wearing my ascots again. This weekend at my little mountain brewery I had someone ask "is that a covid gaiter?". Ugg. :(