Sebastian Vettel | FerrariChat

Sebastian Vettel

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
    Original title: "I find it hard to root for Vettel anymore..."

He always lets me down.

He is his own worst enemy.

I don’t see him winning another world title with Ferrari or any other team. He does not seem capable of good, level-headed decision making.

Robb

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Congratulations on your promotion!

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I wish it was different but, feel a bit like a Detroit Lions fan...... :D

Robb

4. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    They need brawn back

Robb likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don’t for one moment agree with his challenge on Maxine, but I’m guessing he figured dicing for second, and the extra points, was better than losing a few extra by staying put or even being taken out, I doubt he calculated he would be punted into 19th. However, what he forgot to take into account is that Maxine will never ever give more room than necessary, and doesn’t give a damn about the size of any potential accident and it’s consequences..

Bad judgement call yet again, but maybe it’s just desperation now as given today’s results, unless he came second, I’m guessing for the title, he feels it’s over already now (as do we all). Remember, a racer never gives up till he can’t fire up the car any more

Ferrari 308 GTB and Robb like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Elton and Vettel are quite close in mental fragility. I even think Vettel is stronger and more stable than Elton. The decisive factor is the superiority of the team that surrounds Elton and the support they give him. Remove that and give it to Vettel and Vettel would win. Ferrari have genuinely lost AS A TEAM. There is no single person they can blame. We know they CANNOT blame engineering as they’ve received cars both in 2017 and 2018 capable of winning the championship.

7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I agree with you, although I’m not sure the 2017 car was that strong, it was good and took advantage while Mercedes dealt with their gremlins and tyre balancing issues, but as a fast race car, I think last years Mercedes had the edge. This year, I think you are bang on, the 2018 car out the door was faster, but the FIA have nibbled away at the developments that produced the better results, so I believe the Mercedes has overtaken it again. However, the team itself with strategy and support for the drivers have failed completely. Vettel could drive around a few issues and make the difference up with skill, but he is left with too much to do the last few races, and we might as well be preparing for next year and getting 12 extra ‘test’ days as opposed to caring too much about a championship we have already lost

Twosherpaz, stavura, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I keep hearing that we have the best car but that we're loosing for bad strategy, drivers or whatever, but let's be honest: we don't have a good car anymore. We've been outqualified by more than half a second since Monza. We would have a chance if we had cushion of points to hold on for the rest of the season, but that's another story.

As the season is lost, the lack of development is what worries me at this moment. Vettel can do a mental reset next year and we'll have a new driver. The pit wall crew can be reorganized. But if we don't have a good car we have nothing.

Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The loss of performance on the car is the doing of the FIA in their Mercedes protection mode, making us remove or adjust things (then allowing merc to copy them anyway). I think we did have a performance advantage at points this year, especially prior to the tyre debacle when they decided to move back to last years compounds on the basis one team of the ten (Mercedes) were struggling. For some reason the loss of marchionne seems to have created a vacuum into which the whole team has fallen when it comes to organisation, they need to get a grip and also to stand up for themselves more. It’s not good enough to allow the FIA to be influenced by Mercedes ridiculous requests all the time, screw them, it should be a level playing field for all, not just for the one favoured team

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The "Mercedes special" tyres hasn't been used used since France and the double monitoring system of Ferrari's battery is there since Monaco.

We won quite convincingly not so long ago at Spa but since then Mercedes brought new rear suspension and wheels to fix their tyre issues. We are suffering lots of graining because of lack of downforce. A new experimental floor tried this weekend was not used because it still needs some work.

Right now I only wish to see another win before the season ends. At least that would mean that the development team had found the right path again.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They don’t need to be, it tided them over until their developments came online, and prevented ferrari making the most of their advantage early on, or we might have been much closer now. There have been several things taken off the car due to meddling and rumour too, it’s not just the monitoring of the batteries, that’s only a small part to which I allude

I’d rather they threw in the towel early and started using and testing next years parts ahead of the end of the season

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mmmm... which parts they deleted? I´ve only heard of some aero bits.
    At Suzuka they tested some bargeboards for next season regulations, so they probably already had done it.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  13. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    As a real Detroit Lions fan.....I totally understand that comment.
    At least we aren’t the Cleveland Browns.....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Automoblog and Robb like this.
  14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Looking forward for the strongest pairing of all times in 2020: Hamilton & Leclerc.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    like i said in the race thread.....
    enzo would have punted vettel, and taken ricciardo.

vettel is just not smart enough

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Kimi showed up, Vettel screwed up. S.S.D.D. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Robb and ATBNM3 like this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Seb needs to go...way past his expiration date at this point.

Have you ever seen Alonso make such monumental f’ups at Ferrari? As much as people on here like to criticize him tell me w a straight face Seb is even remotely better! What a joke...

Blackmamba, Nembo1777, Robb and 4 others like this.
  18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #18 ktu, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    The blame falls mostly on Vettel. Vettel was driving well enough to keep Hamilton close in the points at first. But the mistakes cost him, and affects the whole team when he does that. He is nowhere near as mentally strong as Lewis. That Ferrari had 0 dnf 's. Ham had a dnf, had to bounce back mentally . And it was known Ferrari engine was superior at spa. Ham had to accept that and bounce back mentally. Vettel had the opportunity to bring it home this year for Ferrari and be GREAT, like he once was. Yes the team wasn't perfect. No team has a perfect year. Greatness is when the driver in the seat can still find a way to win. You all can continue to make excuses for Vettel, I won't. I didn't have to make excuses with Schumacher because he was Great

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Vettel sucks. Time to send him packing.

I can't wait for Leclerc.

Nembo1777, Robb, ATBNM3 and 1 other person like this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    FA genuinely drove around problems given to him, endemic in the car. He is the best driver in a Ferrari since MS. It is clearly not Vettel or Kimi. Not even close. FA is ruthless with amazing race craft and quick thinking, strategic brain. Vettel is a driver who ignores the obvious situation in front of him.

Robb, 375+, ktu and 2 others like this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think you may be right, maybe give Seb the rest of the season off, let Kimi break chuckie into the team gently, ready for a full assault next year!

Nembo1777, Robb and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  22. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I knew Vettel would get mentally trounced and would be dominated by Hamilton from the day Ferrari announced he was Alonslow's replacement.

Blackmamba and ktu like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The story of the second half of the season is the ascendancy of Max and the near total collapse by Vettel. Seb is clearly not the driver I hoped he would be, his move on Max in Japan was just another bone-headed miscalculation. He will never win a WDC at Ferrari, I seriously would replace him with Alonso. Seb can fulfill his contract by washing cars or sweeping the factory floor.

Caeruleus11, tifosi12, Robb and 2 others like this.
  24. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    IMHO this is further proving that Vettel was at the right place at the right time during the Red Bulll dominant years. He is a great driver - you can state that as he had Webber in the other car and only one of the four seasons did Webber give him a challenge. But this is now going on another season that he hasn’t been able to put a championship together without having the dominant car. Blame his team, blame the car, blame the competition.....other guys have figured it out. Like him or not, if Hamilton wins this season it will be three WDCs in three different formula eras: 1 in V8, 2 in hybrid .1 and 2 in hybrid .2. Vettel just seems to be missing that extra something to get over the hurdles of team, car, and competition and Hamilton has figured it out over his career.

Blackmamba and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    See post #6.

The dawn will take you all.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.