Sebastian Vettel | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Sebastian Vettel

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hi Pete, as you and I are on his ignore list, why is it he keeps responding to our posts? We may be on it, but he loves us really and purposely seeks out our posts as a guilty pleasure ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I get the feeling the whole F1 circus is winding down. Climbing Everest is now a tourist vacation. Is F1 that different?

The era of Michael at Ferrari is totally different from the team Vettel now drives for. I think the loss of open testing that Michael enjoyed has crippled today's team in terms of the data flow that the testing gave. The simulator is a poor substitute. If Ferrari and Mercedes were absolutely equal in their cars and their teams management, I think Hamilton would come out on top because I think his mental and driving skills have aged better than Vettel's. Some have shorter careers than others. I think Ferrari knows that Vettel is losing steam fast and that is why they are rushing Leclerc to the front, while keeping Kimi in reserve at Sauber.

A team's dominance can end suddenly and unexpectedly. Nothing in the playbook says Mercedes is immune to this. A simple design error can put them in the toilet as quickly as it happened to Ferrari and Red Bull. And assuming Hamilton wins his fifth title this year, I don't think it will be easy for him to win a 6th and 7th title. He could easily retire with five and move on with his life and other interests.

I can see Mercedes leaving F1 with nothing more to prove and no good reason to keep spending the money. I can see Ferrari staying in one more year after that to try and win a Championship without such strong competition...and then letting privateers take over the racing division (as Lancia did with rallys). Ferrari can focus on selling road cars and not letting Fiat's troubles rub off on them.

And F1 could do what they did in the past...take over F2, rename it F1 and have cheaper cars and rules to play with.

william likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree entirely.

I too can see Mercedes leaving F1, once they have reached their goal. Manufacturers come and go inevitably.

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    How is it stereotypical? You're English and hate Schumacher. Like usual.

No need to get all mad about it. Just be honest with yourself.

fil likes this.
  5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ahem, william claims he isn't a Hamilton fan but it's pretty obvious he is a huge LH fan. All he does on here is talk down Ferrari (with all his "insights" about the toxic Ferrari team atmosphere he repeats ad nauseum despite never having set foot in the garage and no sources) and big ups Hamilton. Which is annoying, but whatever. Just saying at least our other resident LH lovers have the stones to admit they are fans of him.

Where he shows his side as a despicable human being is when he says things like "it's karma for MSC that he got injured" and appears quite pleased that MSC will never lead a normal life again. That's simply not normal thinking and I worry about anyone psychologically who makes statements like that. It's sick, so I find it amusing when he talks about defending against the "hatred" for Hamilton when he is literally happy that a great driver loved by millions around the globe and family man is disabled for the rest of his life.

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Decency isn’t a strong suit for some people mate, and nothing we can say will wake them up to it.

stavura, NEP and TifosiUSA like this.
  7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Neither is self awareness apparently...

daytona355 likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Arriva still believes

https://www.planetf1.com/news/arrivabene-sure-vettel-will-win-title-with-ferrari/

Despite this season’s woes, Maurizio Arrivabene is “sure that sooner or later” Sebastian Vettel will win a World title with Ferrari.

The four-time World Champion joined Ferrari back in 2015, saying at the time he wants to be a World Champion with Ferrari.

That dream has yet to come true.

This season Vettel is once again on course to finish runner-up in the championship having dropped the ball midway through this season

G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can understand why Arrivabene makes public statements like that; I can hardly see him shooting down Ferrari and Vettel !!!

However, I have my doubts that the "dream" will actually happen.

I can see Vettel getting increasingly frustrated, and leaving Ferrari within a few years, just like Alonso did before him.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm half English, my wife is all English, my wife's Formula 1 watching family are all English, and we all love Schumacher. Or does this English nationality mean that we've been kidding ourselves all along and have yet to be honest?

Kindly don't make inferences about someone's honesty based on their nationality.

Regards,
    Andrew.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Most people in England nowadays see themselves at British rather than English.

12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No they don’t. My dad flies the st George flag from his garages!, and can’t stand the Welsh (or Italians, hence he hates my good side!)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Cool story. Doesn't change the fact that many, many, many Brits loathe Michael Schumacher to this day. It's like an entire generation of angry people. It's sad. Like I said, go visit an F1 comments section on Facebook sometime on anything to do with MSC. To suggest otherwise is asinine. They're still mad about Hill 94 (even though that title race was a joke with the race bans they gave MSC and shouldn't have been close in the first place) and they're angry about all those years of Ferrari domination. Racist comments from the British F1 media like "Ferrari is too Italian to succeed" get a free pass. Pathetic. That's great you and your family like Schumacher. Definitely out of the norm for English folks, but great.

Anyway, kraftwerk needs to be honest with himself and his hate. Same for william, who is on a different level. I'm sure they are both big boys and don't need you speaking for them though, that much is clear.

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I am speaking for myself, refuting your characterization of my heritage. I lived in the UK for the last 20 years and haven't encountered the Schumacher hate you describe.

I'm sure Facebook commentary sections are not representative of the British view on Schumacher any more than our F1 section is representative of the Ferrari owner's view on Hamilton. By the nature of Internet commentary, those who are most aggrieved will post most vehemently and most voluminously. Similarly, in the model sections, you'd think Ferraris were unreliable basket cases, since people are more motivated to report, diagnose, and discuss faults than expand upon each instance the car functioned flawlessly.

As for British media, they're in the entertainment business. Comments to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are trying to say anything other than "Mercedes developed an utterly dominant engine", which has been the story throughout this formula.

You need to evaluate information more effectively.

All the best,
    Andrew.

william likes this.
  15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So you say the average British F1 follower is not influenced at all by the British print media and the British commentary on TV during the races?
    If this does not represent the opinion of the readers and the people in front of the TV, why is it writen or broadcasted that way? Don´t you think that those outlets pretty much talk the way people want to hear it to stay in business?
    So just like it is safe to say that the average German F1 fan during the Schumacher period liked him it is safe to say the majority of the British viewers did not...And as always: "Exceptions confim the rules".

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If people want to stereotype, just let them stereotype.

Looks like some folks like to argue for argument sake.

Small minds, I say ...

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Again a very civilized conversation.... how can I possibly miss that? ;)

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  18. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    True - below's a good example lol :

Not sure which poster you're referring to as small minded, but having lived here and followed F1 for 35/40 years, I think maybe some non Schuey/Ferrari supporters got bored with the dominance during 2000/2004. Yes it does irk me that James Allen would commentate and say "lucky lucky Schumacher" at the time - or how C4's commentator tried to portray a happy and jubilant podium when we could all see that Hamilton and Bottas were feeling extremely awkward. Go back to Austria, where the impression was Ferrari had shot Bambi's mother.Both teams wanted to seal the championship but there was a huge difference in how team orders were portrayed.

As said above, it's a commentator's job to make things more exciting, and again as above, we should take everything with a pinch of salt. Allen went on to write a book about Schuey etc

What I did find disgraceful were the comments on the BBC page re Mick's F3 championship, which was truly vile. But even then it's the same Brits who are finding the comments shameful as well.

I mean look at our car parks with all the German cars, I still remember it being drilled into me as a youngster by all the English car guys how German factory floors were unbelievable and I should buy German quality.

I haven't encountered a bias amongst true F1 fans, from any country - in fact probably we're more critical of our own drivers.

Best,
    Sammy

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If some people on this forum want to stereotype the Brits as German-haters because it suit their agenda, why should we care?
    I find it amusing that some folks want to shrink everything to nationality.

Some people didn't like the Schumacher era because F1 became boring perhaps.
    Others (like me) didn't like Schumacher because of his excessive aggression on track, with some of his moves really disgraceful .
    It had nothing to do with his nationality. I didn't like Senna either for exactly the same reason.
    During his years duelling with Hamilton, I rooted for Rosberg, and he is German.

We can't be responsible for the BBC or British magazines getting excited because a British driver is winning? It may irritate you, but what can we do?
    Over the years, I have heard some very bias commentating on the TV, not about nationality, but doing a right character assassination of some drivers.
    Everything gets out out of proportion these days, and the media in UK like to blow their trumpets for British achievements. like Hamilton winning a race.
    After all, he is a sporting hero in Britain, and he is not shy to display his Britishness.
    Visiting some other countries I have seen that sporting success is often the occasion for big celebrations in their media too.

You are right that the Brits can't be too anti-German looking at the number of German cars here in UK, the praise they get in the motoring press, etc ...
    I think this cliché about Brits v. Germans is old hat now, but some posters here explain everything with it.
    It's rather funny ...

sammysaber likes this.
  20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Says the guy who says "Lewis is the best WE have in Britain", is talking about the "German efficiency" at Mercedes or that Ferrari is too Italian....Tell us more about stereotypes....

fil, TifosiUSA, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  21. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The largest group of Vettel fans are armco manufacturers, people who hold armco futures, and makers of carbon fiber weave.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    ere we go again ..next up 1966?

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I thought that was Max and Grojean fans.

NEP and daytona355 like this.
  24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I think English football fans hold onto 1966 as it is the only reason the useless team they put together every game gets to be seeded in a tournament..... they only beat rubbish teams, and seemingly had a successful World Cup, facilitated mainly by the fact they were on the easy side of the draw all the way, and the better teams arrived in the tournament out of sorts and got eliminated before finding their feet! They never had to play a top side all the way through, had they, their tournament would have gone the same way it always did, mostly draws and losses, out in the first round of group games....... mind you, I support Italy, so what do I know!

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006