I got my new 550 today | FerrariChat

I got my new 550 today

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mrmckay, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I took delivery of a beautiful 2000 550 at FoW today. I'm simply blown away by this car. It is such a magnificent machine. I test drove this car 2 weeks ago and a 99 550 about a month ago at FoW. This morning I was having second thoughts while taking my 911 X50 TT for one last drive down to FoW. In retrospect those thoughts seem rather foolish. I put 125 miles fun filled miles on the 550 this afternoon. I look forward to the next time I'm behind the wheel listening to that marvelous 12.

2. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If anyone would like to see more pics....they'll be in the showroom.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Congratulations! It's a totally different car from the 911. Are you keeping them both? How do like the switch to front engine? Enjoy!

4. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Nice Car!!!!!!!!!!
    More Pics Please :)

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    that's amusing mrmckay - i traded a 2001 996TT on my 550.

the 550 offered a similar level of power without spool-up or e-gas or awd.

fwiw, i've never regretted the swap.

doody.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    So, for those who have gone from 911 to Ferrari, has either car been a daily driver? I see the Porsche as a daily driver, but maybe not the 550 (probably just because of the difference in upkeep costs.) I

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    And the huge penalty attached to any Ferrari for mileage. Frustrating for owners who would like to drive their cars more, but don't want to get hosed at re-sale time.

Gary

8. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I am happy for you. Just drive the heck out of it unless you purchased it to re-sell it. I do not think so.
    To me the big different between those two cars is the V-12 is so smooth and it torgue is sweet.

May you have many wonderful times drive that beautiful car.

ps: Your color is the same as mine. Most people will not see it as an exotic. FUN!

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Congrats!!

I see you own also a F355..
    If we compare both cars what would be your comments?

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Congratulations. Enjoy the amazing torque from 485HP V12 engine at 3rd and 4th gear.

I love it on normal mode rather than sport mode though.

When someday you drive 575M, you will feel these cars are very floaty compared to the 550

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Welcome to the Maranello club! I think that there were only about 3,600 550s made between 97 and 01 so it's a small club. You'll enjoy it. It is a great car.

Dale

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I drive mine everyday... averaging about 1500 miles/month.

MrMcKay: is it tubi or cargraphics exhaust?

--Dan

13. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dan,
    I have currently have the tubi on it.

Chris

14. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Congrats, got mine on Friday ! 2001, 12'000 miles.
    Titanium over Sabbia. Here is a pic of the interior, weather has been too dull to get a good outside pic. Rest assured there'll be many more :)

15. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Congratulations. I too bought one a few months ago, a 2001 Rosso Fiorano, and still love it. I love to drive it, and I still think it is the best Ferrari every built for everyday driving. When I first bought a Daytona, I loved it too, so much that I bought two. I still have them. Maybe in a year or so when my wife gets over the fact that I need another 4 car garage....I might buy a yellow one...or silver...:)

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#16 maranelloman, Nov 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sweet car, McKay!! I have the Argento Nurburgring (silver) as well in a 2000 model year I bought new, with black seats & dark gray piping. I regret 2 things that I did not order when I bought it: the 250GT rear shelf like you have, and the Fiorano handling package.

Coach, congrats on Rosso Fiorano--a truly superb color in a 550!! Have you bored out the extra exhaust cans yet?? :)

Here's me in mine:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Congrats, mrmckay! A beautiful car AND a great dealership with which to do business! Enjoy it...

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Dan- Rock Star's gotta do what a Rock Star's gotta do! ;0)

MrMcay- the 550 is one amazing car, your's looks great! As a 23 year old I'd never thought I'd love the 550 untill I rode in one for the first time. WOW. I must now confess more than a small soft-spot for the Maranello. Drive it well and drive it long, and don't look back. May your tires always be warm.

Best!
    Ben.

19. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    mrmckay - congratulations!! It's a great color combination. anytime you feel like going for a long ride, reach out and I'll be there in mine!! Enjoy the miles, forget the resale - you'll never be able to get rid of it and live with yourself!

20. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Congrats! Beautiful.