I got some white line in the road paint on my car as it was flung up by my tire. | FerrariChat

I got some white line in the road paint on my car as it was flung up by my tire.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by staatsof, Jun 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's mostly on the rocker panel and lower rear quarter panel.
    White on Jaguar Racing Green which is metallic with a clear coat.

It's been there about 6+ months or so.

Tips on how to remove this?

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    See if Mineral spirits will remove it after washing the section off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK. I figured that wouldn't work. I'm not sure Goof Off is safe, I kind of doubt it?

4. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Goof off is safe but may not do anything for removing the paint. Mineral spirits will be safe for clear coat, once you’re done go ahead and rewash that area and you shouldn’t have any problems.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Agree clear Mineral Spirits diluted 50/50 with water will work well. Griots Garage Smudge and Bug remover should also work. Use a disposable Microfiber towel

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Bug & Tar remover? That I can try right now!

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Mineral spirits you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot. If not that you could try goo gone or similar to see.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I've got 5 gallons of paint thinner so I'll try that later but the Bug & Tar remover didn't phase it.

9. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Haha yeah maybe hold off on the paint thinner.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh it's the same thing. It's lacquer thinner that's the killer. I clean engine compartments with paint thinner/solvent/mineral spirits all the time but I doubt it's going to phase this. If I had gotten to it right after it happened then maybe. The stuff on the lower rear quarter panel seems to flick off with a fingernail but the rocker panel got it the worst.

11. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Oh ok I gotcha

12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Every day you wait will make it harder. Ask me how I know. You might be too late now.

13. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I found this solution but I must caution, Lacquer Thinner is a strong solvent but as long as it's factory paint you should be OK...

1. Put on rubber gloves.
    2. Moisten a small shop towel with lacquer-paint-thinning solvent. Wring out the towel to prevent dripping.
    3. Apply solvent to the road-line paint, using the damp towel.
    4. Wait 10 to 15 seconds for the lacquer solvent to loosen the paint
    5. Wipe the road-line paint from your car, using a terry cloth. Massage the road paint in a circular motion until it comes loose.
    6. Moisten a fresh towel with lacquer-paint-thinning solvent and wipe down any remaining road-line paint. Use the buffer, equipped with a wool pad, to clean off the remaining road paint.
    7. Dry excess lacquer solvent with a new, dry towel.

Keep in mind that road paint contains glass beads (Silica) for reflectivity, crushed quartz (for non-skid)......So....Be very careful with any "Rubbing Techniques"...and always follow the safety guidelines/PPE for any solvent use.

Hope this helps you some

These methods were posted by friends of mine on another forum, Bobby,and Bobby G. Credit goes to them!

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Paint thinner = mineral spirits. But it's unlikely to be of much help, especially after all this time.

I'd try brake cleaner before going to lacquer thinner. Scott's technique sounds good though, it's just that brake cleaner is a lot less taxing on the car's finish.

Another option would be acetone. Not sure if it's worse on the original finish than lacquer thinner, but I'd probably try acetone after brake cleaner but before lacquer thinner if it was my car.

15. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Be careful, around here they mix a gritty reflective material in the paint sometimes.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I would try WD-40. It worked well taking off small spots of white road paint a car flung up on my friend's black SUV. It took A LOT of elbow grease, but it came off. We tried a clay bar first and it did nothing, but we used it after just to remove whatever WD loosened enough because our arms were too tired to get off lol.

By the way, we only did half of the front of the car as it took too long and never did the other half. It's a Honda so he didn't care that much. So I'm not exaggerating how much elbow grease that took. We only used WD-40 and paper towels.

Edit: Some places online say to leave it on for 1-2 hours then take off. We didn't do that. We sprayed and rubbed it off.

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe clay baring is the best method to attack the over spray problem. The secret to claying is the lubricant used and there are lots available. Some detailers swear by ArmorAll Ultra Shine Spray Wash as a lubricant which clings to vertical panels rather than runs off the car and makes the clay work more efficiently. Here is a video outlining the finer details of removing paint over spray and also provides some moral support that the task can be accomplished.

peterp and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

With the above technique using clay be aware there are different grades of clay, fine, medium and coarse. Always use the least aggressive method on painted surfaces.

energy88 likes this.
  19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Give 99% rubbing alcohol a try. Anything you try, try on the underside of the trunk panel first. Once you remove the crap, you are going to need some change compound and a buffer (later likely)

21. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Time to bite the bullet and see the paint shop. A well respected shop near me will remove my 430 front bumper, sand, prime, paint and clear coat for $1000. You might at least get an estimate. Once you know the worst case scenario you can experiment with solvents.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I want to thank everyone for responding. For some crazy reason I haven't been notified about most of your posts until this last one. So time to consider all of them.

23. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Laquer thinner if the clear coat is over 90 days old. I do high end vehicles in Pa. If you have a problem...pm me and I can offer assistance if you need it.

24. Jack-Porsche

Jack-Porsche Karting

Oct 30, 2016
    USA
    Why in the world did it sit for 6 months? Just curious.
    I had some yellow road paint, got it right away with a sponge, and a little effort (maybe a gentle fingernail)

25. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    NbyNW likes this.