I guess that answers the "are we safer" question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I guess that answers the "are we safer" question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Slim, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I find it interesting that the Palestinians have done such a poor job that Israel is going to put a fence up around them, call it "Escape from New York". The movie has come to true life, is that wild or what? Make the entire country into a jail, and let the Palestinians fight amongst themselves all they want.

How far did they have to push Israel before Israel decided the only solution was to solve this thing without talking to the Palestinians.. Gosh that's embarrassing enough. But today the Palestinians beat-up the Egyptian Government official that was there to help them.... can the Palestinians ever do anything smart?

Quite frankly, Israel found a way not to depend on the collective intelligence of the Palestinians, and I don't blame them.

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Art- I agree with you almost entirely on this matter.

I also think we went into Iraq as part of Bush's domestic economic policy, pure and simple. We did what looked like (and maybe even was) a good thing, for entirely the wrong reasons. Hussien was a class act pecker-head, but he's maybe #4 on a list of top ten. I'm for his elimination in principle, but I'm against the real reasons we did it for. He's nothing special.

It's not surprising how the forign press can take a questionable (at best) act, and turn it into something outright heinous and horrible.

Either way, we need to get the F*** out right now.

Best!
    Ben.

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Al Qaeda started this war using misguided Arabs from all over this region. (see map)

Now people say we need to help fix the root of the Arab problems to beat Al Qaeda.

Fine! Bush has dove into the heart of this section of the world and done some house cleaning.

They cry when we don't help! Then they cry when we do help!

After Iraq gets back on its own, and if these people can make a go of it....its a big shiny example of what happens when the USA gets dragged in.

I am sick of always blame the USA.

When my debate opponents want details... I give them details(Iraq is part of the war, all Arab states that have failed governments are). Then they switch to big picture arguments (root cause). You want root cause? Its because the Arabs are all messed up and need some help to fix their world. The Arab people are like any others...they'd like to have a nice life. Their governments suck in some countries and they need our help.

When Daddy spanks you...its for the long-run good. Now stop crying and start looking at the big picture. We built the USA, then we fixed Japan, fixed Europe, beat the USSR and now its time to fix the Arabs. Just relax guys..its only been 200 years. Gee its going to get dull once we finish fixing the entire world, by 2050. I am so proud to be a small part of the one country that has accomplished all this is such a short time.

I voted for Gore, thank god Bush won. Things are getting done!
    I like it when things get done! Arabs need less talk and more action! Bush can't talk, but is a man of Action. God! Gore would be talking and talking to the French and the UN, and nothing would have gotten done.

This war will kill 10,000's to make this world a better place for Billions.
    Bush "lets get it on"

Or we could wait for the Arabs to fix their own problems. That's a F*cking joke. Their idea of government is screw the masses of the poor and teach them to hate the West.

Thanks guys, the West is tired of your idea of government.

We transformed all of Europe by taking out Germany and its strong man. We can transform all of the Middle East by taking out its strong man in the center.

Osama becomes a moot point if you transform the entire middle East into a successful part of the world.

Unfortuantly for Osama, Freedom is a idea that spreads like a viris if you can just plop some of it down in the middle of that part of the world and guard it until it takes root. Freedom has a way of spreading like fire. Osama is afraid of that. Bush, even if it was for his own personal clumsy ideas...has just given a big shot of freedom to the center of Osama's world.

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

Mark:

The root of the problem as I see it, is that we continue to mess with people who don't want us to do so. Kill 10s of thousands. Maybe hundreds of thousands before its over, and although I hope not, some of those may be American citizens.

Again: Iraq wasn't involved in any terrorism directed at the US. No facts to state otherwise. Period. They supported the Palestinians who they believed were fighting for their homeland. So did the Saudis, so did a good many of the other Arab states. I just finished reading A War to end all wars. It is about the Middle East, and how the US and Britian have manipulated that area so that the price of oil could be kept down, and how they decided to divy up the area into states.

I think the Arabs will do just fine, if they are left to their own devices and we don't meddle. As for the concept of "Freedom", be careful about what you ask for, you may get it. 60% of Iraq are Muslins who would have a religious state, similar to Iran. The Mullahs from what I've seen have absolutely no use for us. If we allow elections, we'll get something that we don't want or need. The alternative is to impose a government that will resemble what they had, i.e., repression of the majority. Watch it happen.

Art

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Mark, EXCELLENT post !!!

Art, you keep proving Mark correct with every post you make. Why with all the doom & gloom? You keep getting proved wrong, yet it seems you hate Bush more than terrorists.

And, when was it EVER the US's role to placate folks who don't want us to "mess with them"? Seems every attempt in world history to do so has resulted in failure: Chamberlain & Germany is but one example.

6. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    MHO-When you stir up a hornet's nest, there will be some activity. Unfortunately, you can't just drop a smart bomb and get them all at once. It will be like the war against drugs. Or the fight against the mob. Sure, there will be counterstrikes, and there will be new thugs, but eventually, if we stick with it, it might just make a better world. The alternative is to let them run amuck. Not my personal choice. Let the army earn their pay.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Art you have it all figured out. Why don't you tell everyone that your
    previous leftist Israeli governments of the Ehud Barak, Shimon Peres, Yossi Bellin, and Yossi Sarid already offered everything including the kitchen sink at Camp David and Taba. The leftists did not get very much in return.

The leftists already tried in Madrid, Oslo, Camp David, and Taba.
    Perhaps you do not have a partner who is interested in any civilized
    solution ? That certainly is possible Art. Listen to what they have
    to say on the other side. Hamas does not want to negotiate with you.
    Mr. Arafat's regime is corrupted. Who on their side can sign "any" agreement that will be upheld ?

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

Barak didn't offer them the world. What he offered, they couldn't accept, as I understand it. The basic problem is that while he offered a large precentage of land, Israel wanted to keep jurisdiction over the roads which interconnected the retained settlements. The net effect of that was that Israel was only giving back about 40 - 50% of the land. The Israeli human rights web site, http://www.btselem.org/ did an analysis of the offer, both at Camp David and at Taba, and their results were on their site. I'd take a look at what they came up with, and see if it comports with my comments. I think that I got it right. Additionally, the issue of the right of return, unacceptable if you keep a Jewish state was also something that the sides couldn't agree upon. The Palestinians wanted to keep negotiating, but Israel broke off the talks at Taba. That site gives an alternative view of what is occuring in these territories from the liberal jewish perspective. Take a look at it for a different view of these issues. I'm not saying that their totally right, but a good portion of what they do say may indeed be more real than the current Israeli administration's point of view, in my humble opinion.

It is difficult, but its been made worse by the far right policies of Sharon. Those policies have been a disaster for Israel economically and politically. I hope that Israel can survive after Sharon, but I fear that his behavior will cost them dearly. Most Israelis want peace, the question is under what terms. I'm not sure that Sharon does, unless he gets all of "greater Israel" back. I don't think there will be peace there until Sharon is out of power, along with Arafat.

Dave:

Just like my prediction of no WMDs. I have seen this play before. It's a little different spin, but the same deal. Lies on the way in, reliance on the public's short term memory about what was said a month or so before, and slick talkers who obsfuciate the issues. It was Johnson and Nixon before, now its Bush. If you recall, when this war started, I predicted we'd be looking at another West Bank, and it sure looks that way to me. These folks have little technology, but they are willing to die for what they believe in. Take a long look at Randall's posts about if these guys pushing this are so gung ho, they ought to enlist. None of them did. Talk is cheap, very few vote with their lives. Any American dead over there is an absolute waste of a good young man.

Art

9. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Art at some point you cannot give anymore. You are correct that most people in Israel want peace. Peace at what price ? Peace
    that will lead to war ? I thought they already had peace back in
    1993 when Clinton, Rabin, and Arafat took photos ? Peace with
    which government ? A corrupt and oppresive dictatorship that
    drags collaborators in the street after 1/2 hour trials ending with
    the victim hanging upside down from a lamp post ?

Interesting that you found a fringe element that figured out that
    Barak offered far less than originally stated. The Labor party
    came out with different figures. Perhaps you can find some other
    groups from Afganistan or Iran that mention how Barak offered even
    smaller amounts of land at Taba ? The leftists in Israel who have
    sued for peace without a democratic partner have already had their
    turn. People on this site need to know that the leftists already
    tried to make peace. What did they get in return ? Another
    armed insurection. Sharon needs to complete the fence and
    bring more security. A government is responsible for the security
    of its people.

On the right of return ? Nobody in Israel is suggesting bringing
    refugees into Israel that have lived abroad for years. NOBODY
    What about Sefardic Jews that left the muslim countries for Israel
    in the 1950's ? I supppose nobody is going to compensate them ?
    Sefardic Jews made up a higher percentage of the population before
    the Russians emmigrated to Israel after the collapse of the USSR.
    Lets compensate everyone. Don't forget about the "millions" of
    Germans that were annexed into Poland after WWII. Are we going
    to give Koneigsburg back to Germany ? The way for peace is
    democracy. Free elections, and a government that is responsible
    to the people. We are all waiting.

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

The interesting thing about the right of return is that the new plan, agreed upon by the Palestinians doesn't provide for a right of return. It does however provide that Israel yield all of the terrority, or make adjustments to trade land for land.

By the way, those folks aren't a fringe. Take a look at them, they are a long standing human rights organization, with a very substantial following. They aren't as radical as Gush Emmon (sp). Take a close look at their web site. Let me know if they are factually incorrect in their statements. I'd like to know.

This is a very difficult situation, people are suffering, and probably everyone would be better off if they could resolve this. I do believe however that both Sharon & Arafat need to be gone for this to happen. It's a shame.

Art

11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Everyone has an opinion on what was and was not offered at Taba.

With Sharon gone it will not change the situation. Democracy is the
    answer. How are you going to make peace when the man in the
    street is neglected ? Are there any free elections in the Middle East ? What are the choices ? Religious oligarchies, dictatorships
    and monarchies. When are you going to have "other" choices like the
    rest of the world ? Are they ever going to leave the middle ages ?

It takes two to Tango.

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

We know what was offered there. It's on the Israeli goverment web site, I believe. You are right that it takes two to tango. However, if you're peeing on someone's shoe, it's unlikely they will talk friendly towards you. The Sharon plan for the occupied terroritories has been the equivalent of the peeing. The Palestinans haven't been a lot better.

There is more than plenty of blame to go around here. Replacement of the current leaders is probably the first step to getting some resolution.

Art

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    & free and democratic elections !!!!!!

not just where the # 2 appointed loser has single digit low losing returns.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    So you see it too? Good post.

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    On the other hand Quadaffi abandoned his WMD program & the Iranians are nervous and may give theirs up also. Too bad that idiot in NK doesnt have a brain cell in his skull

16. ART360

ART360 Guest

The difference is that he has a nuke, they don't not yet. I'd bet that they intend to get one, and then they'll be talking a different tune, if they think they can bluff the US. Iran is probably about 1 year away. Even with the renewed inspections, they are still enrichening the Uranium, and they always have the option of withdrawing from the Non-profileration treaty, and then building a bomb with their material.

They seemed quite put out at the US over this issue. I wouldn't be surprised that they intend to build a bomb, but will wait until all the components, but for the material are ready, and then they'll withdraw from the treaty.

Art

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    its ironic & stupid that govts dont learn from history> If you dont want the Big Dog to mess with you you dont make yourself a threat. If the Big Dog (US) is PO'd you dont get on its good side by building nukes. you get on the safe side by doing what Quadaffi did. This is seen throughout history, Empires dont care what small countries do as long as they dont pose a threat, when they pose a threat they get smashed, ask Saddam, Qadaffi, or any1 who confronted ancient Rome. they all got smashed bcus they built themselves up & became a threat. The US would never have done anything in Iraq if SH hadnt invaded kuwait & threatened the US lifeblood, Oil

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have never been worried about monkey boy in NK for two reasons...

First, he is not Arab. We are at war with extreme Arabs. And although we don't want him to give those Arabs weapons... being Asian, he is one step removed from the current war.

Second, and more important, China has total control over this, he is China's "monkey boy". China can turn off the oil, gas, food, they can shut down and stomp on that Country in 12 hours. China just lets him have some slack in his leash so he can scare us... it is their balance of power to keep us from taking Taiwan's side in the separation battle.

I get a kick out of people that say we didn't or don't' attack NK because they have the bomb. That's not the real problem, if we really wanted to attack them we would. But thats not even the point.