I guess the SL65 is a go... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I guess the SL65 is a go...

Discussion in 'Other German' started by SkizoACE, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    LOL...Ryan most of those girls have that stuff because of their husbands...who are usaually stupidly rich...

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The problem I have with AMG is they are just making too many of them and they are going to dilute the brand within a brand that they have.

But the corporate strategy is coming into focus now, and they are emulating VW. The food chain is as follows:

McLaren
    AMG
    Mercedes Benz
    Smart

You're going to piss off a lot of people who bought a MB thinking it was the best, only to realize that they bought the 3rd tier product.

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Ryan. Would she be happy with five stores ? No I am not talking about places to take her shopping. - That is a given. I am talking about dry cleaning stores ! You want that hi maintainance $$$ kind.

Go get her.

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

ROFL! That kind of woman would never be happy with 5 stores, even if that brought in a 4 million cash a year, because she would see that as "dirty laborous work."

However, who said I wanted a relationship, she would be good for one thing only. ;)

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Actually in 2001, Mercedes Benz promised that they will have an AMG of every model they make. They completed the promise that year by releasing the SLK and C class AMGs.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Exclusivity for everyone?

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well if you look around the US car market today, and today's youth, you can clearly see Bimmers and Benzs at every corner. These cars have lost any exclusivity they had. Now people get a job, make 45K/yr and first thing they buy is 3 series. It is rather sad. I personaly see this all over the place, people my age, especially since the heyday of the internet economy.

I think before that time, F cars/AMGs/M cars were supposed to be exclusive. Nowadays, even the poor people have the 3 series and C class benz (don't even ask why people buy this POS benz model), as their present to themselves. I mean, I am no one to say what people should drive or what not, but USA has become a country of over indulgence. People watch TV shows on how celebrities live, and what they drive, and they try to emulate all of it, even when they can't really afford to. This not only translates to cars but to houses as well. Most new houses have bathrooms that are larger than the bedrooms with the jacuzzi bathtub, 4 person shower, vaulted 15 feet ceilings in the entry way and all that jazz. Materialism has provided a great chokehold on the American middle class, and cars companies like BMW and Mercedes are benefitting and rightly so.

If you remember BMW had a 318 hatchback a few years ago, that totally flopped. However Mercedes has a small hatchback that many people are now buying. I have employees making 15K/year driving a 25K benz. When I asked him why he bought that, he said, well why drive a 25K accord when I can drive a Benz.

Thus I guess AMG for everyone. I wished they kept it exclusive, but sadly its not like that for a few years now. BMW is also talking about bringing their 1 series to the US in a few years. I think unless you are driving a Murcielago or 575 F car, you don't have the chance to be exclusive anymore.

8. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Now wait just a damn minute...
    I wanted a fast sedan, so what was I supposed to buy? A Grand Prix GTP? An Impala SS? You know for a fact that those cars aren't on the same level as an AMG, three pointed star be damned. I didn't buy it for what it was, just what it could do for me. If the BMW dealership gave a rats you-know-what about new customers I'd have been here defending my M3 sedan. Had Dodge made anything rear drive and V8 powered at the time I guarantee it would've been on my list.

I'm sorry that you feel I'm some sort of a yuppie for driving an AMG. I've already taken an enormous amount of **** about this car from people who don't understand why I bought it, and I'm sure when I come around with my Ferrari I'll never hear the end of it. If you feel people of my means should be peddling around in some "lesser" make (a matter of opinion as to what lesser means), I can only add that I can't buy a car that doesn't exist.

Just go over to mbworld.org if you'd like to talk to people who bought the car for the wrong reasons. I'm not a memeber.

9. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

#34 sjb509, Jul 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ryan, I think you are missing that BMW and DC are in the business to make money first and foremost. The 1 series and A-class will sell if they are brought in to the US just because of the name. If you want a new sedan and want to spend $40k, why not a 330 or C-class? The thought of buying a chromed-up Camry or Altima as a rebadged Lexus and Infiniti does not appeal to me at all. Ford and GM do make anything that directly competes with these cars. I guess the point is that whether they make 500, 5000, or 50,000 of the C-class or 3-series, they are still pretty damn nice cars.

Have you been in a C55? They have great power and V-8 sound, as well as being very comfortable. I'm not sure where your POS comment came from, the C-class has some of the lowest depreciation of any car made.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Did you even read anything I wrote? Where did I say that AMG owners are yuppies? If you read my prior comment on this thread, you will see I defended AMG owners saying they are above the rest, as they know about their cars. Look at my convo with Ralph to get a better understanding of what I said.

My example of the C class was the c240 and the c320, not the C43/C32, I believe you own one of those AMG models.

So after reading everythign I said, if you feel the same, sounds good.

BTW, I am a member of mbworld.org and have many friends who have MB's, doesn't mean my comments were any less valid.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Oh geez, looks like I hit a nerve with some people. My comment was NOT based on the AMG C class cars. It was for the POS C320/C240. Who in their right mind buys a 4 cylinder benz? Even the C320 is nothing to write home about. Before I get attacked again, there are retards in my family that have owned the 190 Benz and the C280 and C240 for a long time. I have ridden and driven these cars for a while. These cars are the poor people who like to buy the Benz so they can say "I have a Benz." Thus these are status cars.

Also I don't think I am missing the point that BMW and DC want to make money. If you read my comment, I pointed that out specifically. THey are benefitting from all the people who can't really afford real bmws/benzs but like to floss the fact they have some money by driving the base model cars.

You saying that the A class and 1 series in the US will sell just because of the name, precisely proves my point. If you forgot what my point was, go back and read my initial comment. ;)

Yes I have been in every Benz except the POS hatchback they have now. I have no doubt the C55 is a nice car, but the AMG C class cars were never 40K ;) ;)

Also if depreciation was the only factor that made a car a non-POS, then we would all be driving Toyota Camrys, the car you don't like ;) :D

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    LoL! You guys are funny.

Wait until we have ///M1s and ///M2s around. *sigh* I have said before and will say again, the real BMWs start at 6 and go to 8. :D

I cannot believe they will disgrace the real ///M1 like this....

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Aint that the truth. :D

Talk about being a everymans car :(

I would disagree. I would say 5-8 ;)
    V10, 500hp, nothing to sneeze at

No doubt!

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    As much as I love the ///M5's, with the E34 and E39 cars always putting a smile on my face, the new one is just 'girly'. Its like the metrosexual BMW. Not cool. V10 or not. The rest of the 5ers are just plain well...plain.

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was also surprised they would dilute the brand that much... they're going to steal Mini sales from themselves.

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think the 1ers are going to RWD. They better be. A FWD BMW is sacrilage.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, I guess that will save money for a lot of wealthy families who will only buy their teenagers 1ers instead of a 325i! Now for the price of a Pontiac you too can look down on others with a sense of haughty pride!

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I didn't mention anything about looks. I mentioned motor only ;)

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well that motor is in the ///M6 too, so we are still set.

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  22. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No, reading it now. I love 6ers, as I have an 82 633CSi...

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You know what you nailed it right on the head. These people that are buying 3 series and C class for the price of optioned out Accords and such, thing they are so rich and well off. Most of them are over stressed financiallly, barely making house payments, and high CC bills. Lots of them even live in Apts yet drive these cars. If you look around your nearest apt, where before you would see hondas/toyotas/fords, now you see Benzs and Bimmers. Thats what I mean about over indulgence. Everyone wants to be rich, and if they are not, they "pretend" to be rich.

Whats funny is, these people with the 3 series and C class at lights and on the streets think they are better than other people and look down on other people, when in fact the people on accord/camrys are more financially responsible.

I guess they never learend the mantra "you are not what you drive"

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

We are in agreement. :)

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes... I can think of a few examples... a friend who is a partner at Seattle's largest firm, when I was last at his place just a few years ago drove a 91 Corolla. Know another who owned a whole oceanliner shipping company, now retired with a Nissan/Infiniti and a GM dealership (for "fun"), drove a mid 80's 4x4 truck w/plenty of rust.

Many ppl are "big hat, no cattle."