I guess the SL65 is a go... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I guess the SL65 is a go...

Discussion in 'Other German' started by SkizoACE, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    LoL. Boy I like the seats, the driving position, the ride is firm but I mean come on, the Nav is really really easy for me to use, but then I have been using BMW Navs for 5 years or so now, yea the back side is fugly, didnt try the manual...

That said, so what if people like to indulge a little. Trust me, life would be soo much more boring if not. I have driven alot of the toyota honda offerings. No thanks. Never stat well for me, I would rather a used 2000 2001 BMW...

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Oh, I never said that I was a bigtime saver who didn't buy a MB and/or a BMW :)... but, I don't have Ryan Z's extraordinary patience for delayed gratification (not that I'm totally undisciplined, but LAFun is exemplary in this respect).

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I will give him that. Good Job man!

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Ryan I'm confused. People that buy the 3-series or C-class are fiscally irresponsible, but the ones that pay the same amount for a optioned-out Accord are responsible?

5. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    #55 C. Losito, Jul 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Don't bring reason into the argument, you'll confuse him. He's probably mad because in LA I'd be just above poverty level.

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hey now, Mods are people too.

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

haha, you are singing my praise? Is this the bizarro world??!! :eek:

Appreciate the kind words.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LOL no! Most people who buy the "cheap" 3series/C class are usually the poorer people that like to show off. Its like the guy who works at agrocery store but wears Prada shoes.

Most people who drive Accords/Camrys usually are very fiscallly responsible. They have money stashed away and don't usually over indulge.

I think you are taking this a bit too personal steve, and I don't think I mean it negatively towards you at all.

If I buy a Benz or a Bimmer, I want a real want. I want a E500/e55/Sclass. I don't want a C class, and pretend that I "own" a real benz. Thus, I would rather be more responsible wtih my money and image and buy the Accord/Camry. I think people who can't afford the real thing, are posing and just flossing their status.

THen again I think a Boxter is a poor mans Porsche.

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, since I am getting under everyones skin.

10. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    That's a very very good idea.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you like personal name calling, and questioning my sexuality I have no problem with it. The fact remains I said nothing negative about AMG C class, yet you perceived that I did.

I dont know if you have a self esteem problems driving your car, but thats what it seems like.

I personally didn't say anything wrong with AMG C class, but if you like insulting moderators, go at it.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Actually I am just over the poverty level too. I never said I was rich or I drive this and that. I was making a case for why people buy the 3 series and the C class. Steve himself proved my point by saying "people will buy the 1 series and A class just because of the brand name."

Secondly I never mentioned M3 or C55s or whatever.

Maybe I lack logic, but if that is the case, you certaintly lack reading comprehension skills.

13. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am having fun reading this thread. :D

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ah yes, the voice of reason.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Entertainment at its best. :D

Good thing I didn't tell him my opinion about people in St. Louis. :D

16. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

ryan, no offense taken, really. But I think you may not understand why someone would buy a C-class. Actually our C320 is my wife's car, I would not have bought it without her encouragement. She needed a 4-door sedan (not SUV or minivan). She drove some of the bigger cars (5-series, for example) but wanted something smaller. She didn't want anything Japanese or American. That left the X-type (didn't like), A4 (didn't like), 3-series (had trouble with one in the past), or the C-class. She's very happy with it.

I disagree that the 3-series or C-class are the luxury cars for "peasants". (I know, not your word but from your writing that is how the comments came across)

Now, about those feelings toward people from St. Louis...

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Glad to hear you didn't take it personally. As I have talked to you extensively offline, and I think you are a true gentleman. :)

Looks like the 320C fits what your wife needs. I never meant to say every single C/3 series owners are posing by owning the base model cars. Of course there are exception to every rule. What I was suggesting is there is a growing number (majority) of people who own these cars mostly because they can't afford the best these brands have to offer. They buy the bottom of the line yet they "floss" their money. We all know how much 3 series and C classes cost, compared to the 7 series/SL cars, so we know the differences in the class of cars.

You are correct, as that is what I meant. I don't have good writing skill, English being my third language, thus maybe I can't get my point across well. What I was saying was, before kids would drive hondas in high school, acuras in their 20s, maybe a bmw/benz in their mid 30s. Now they may drive a honda in high school, but when they turn 21, they go get a 3 series or c class and think they are the richest Mutha F'ers in the world. Increasingly, these are the people buying the base model cars. Of course Merc/Bmw is profiting as they should.

When the 1 series/A class comes here, we will see 7 eleven workers and UPS drivers saying "yeah I got a benz too" or "yup I have a bmw." There is a difference between someone who works at 7/11, and a doctor that went to school for years at a time to afford a 7/8 series bmw. Call me an elitist or whatever, but I think certain people in certain social classes should only drive certain things. It is harmful for these "peasants" do "floss" their money. They over extend themselves to keep up with the Jones', when in reality they aren't. The real Jones' are driving Sl65s and S600s, while the poor people are driving the 4 cylinder Mercedes hatch, while thinking they are getting a piece of the pie as well. As a society, its bad for the poor people to be so materialistic as they get swallowed by their own wants, and can never really succeed in life. It will be a terrible cycle. A UPS driver should not be driving the same car as the senior partner in a 500 attorney firm or a Brain Surgeon. Us enthusiasts know the difference between the SL600 and the C class coupe, however the people driving the C class coupe think and pretend they are in the same social stratosphere as the lawyer/business person/doctor, and that is certainly not true.

This pretending by the poor folks is what I was calling in question.

Lol it was a joke, since it seems like I really got under Losito's skin. I love Nelly and Albert Pujols. ;) :D

18. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    You know, I'm inclined to agree with a lot of what you just said. People by the car (MB) for the wrong reasons sometimes, especially young people (ie: most of the folks my age at mbworld.org). BUT...your opinion still boils down to "the 'unwashed masses' shouldn't be able to afford anything 'nice'". It sounds to me like you are the exact thing you hate about people our age: stuck up. :)

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Good assessment. I am a stuck up WASP, with an elite east coast education, and look down on every body in the world who doesn't drive/ride/wear italian.

Man, you know me well, and all just from a few posts. Bravo! :)

I hate to call your reading comprehension skills into question once again, but I said I don't like people who pretend to be stuck up and pretend to be rich with their cheap 3 series/c class when they really are not. I don't mind people who are stuck up and snobby and have a reason to be so. If they are rich, can afford a S class, and are snobby, more power to them. If you search through all my posts, you will see I often defend so called "arrogant" sports cars owners and such. I don't think a person driving a Ferrari/Bentley should associate with commoners as myself who don't have either.

Before you tell me to get off this site blah blah, I also told Rob that he should have a special "owners" section and keep people like me out of it. :)

20. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Ryan,

I have read this thread an get a kick out of it.
    The AMG Mercedes are great value for the dollar and are not inexpensive.
    Trying to figure out what motivates a person to buy a particular car in my mind is impossible.

The simple reason BMW, Mercedes, make the entry level cars is to build the brand with young buyers(the c-coupe buyer of today is the S-500 buyer in the future).

As far as the 7-11 worker having a Benz, who is smarter the 7/11 guy who buys a Honda and puts a ton of $$$ into it or the 7/11 guy who buys a C32
    and has a lot of bang for the buck and warranty to boot.(not to mention resale)

The bottom line is different strokes for different folks.
    There are 308 Ferrari owners that have the resources to own a brand new 360 spider but are not so inclined, then there are owners of a brand new 360 spider that are really stretching to pay for it.
    I say god bless them both.

Hey, go easy on St. Lou, its not that bad.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Chuck,

As I have reiterated many times in this thread, I never have talked down to the AMG owners. I think the C32/43/55 cars are great.

I was talking about entry level cars.

Bmw/Merc hopes the hatchback C class buyers will buy the S500s. Its a great business plan in theory. I am sure some owners will move on up. However, most of the people who are buying this base model cars, are living in apartments and living paycheck to paycheck, and barely making their car payments.

They are working for their car. These people won't be driving the S500s anytime soon, unless they hit the lottery, and we all know how likely that is.

However, the young buyers that they are going after, is the 25-27 year old people with a college degree. I agree, these people will probably end up getting the S500s later.

But I was talking about the poor people who are financially overextending themselves, with not only buying base model BMW/Merc, but also buying Prada shoes and what not, when they can barely get by.

Like I said, since I don't speak English very well, it seems I can't get any of my points across.

22. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like being able to read deleted posts :-D

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D Aren't you happy I deleted that? ;) :D

24. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yeaaaa.... I dont think they would like that...

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yeah I riled up enough people with the "commoners" comment. Imagine if they read that, LMAO. :D

I am sure Rob is getting hate mail because of me, and people asking for me to step down.

Eh well, such is life.