I hate everything! Some lady hit my TR!!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I hate everything! Some lady hit my TR!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by KENCO, Mar 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Excellent! Serves her right.

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I agree. that repair bill seams a bit light. I would love to see the estimate and look at the itemized operations. Labor rates should be around $85.00 - $95.00 per hour. You got around 2.0 hours to remove / overhaul bumper then 2.0 to repair + 2.5hours paint. You need to remove and install left tail lamp, and tail lamp grille .5 hours each. Replace left side marker lamp + .2 labor. Quarter panel repair should be around 8-10 hours (aluminum) + 3.5 hours paint. Remove and install quarter panel fins .5 hours, quarter glass 1.5 hours + urethane set kit $15.00, and replace belt molding - not able to remove and re-use $300.00 (approx) and no labor. The area behind tail lamp - rear body panel will probably require minor repair from body man working behind that area. Fifure 1.5 hours + .5 paint. Blends to left side door 1.5 paint + 1.5 to detrim door for paint. Blend to engine lid 1.5 paint + 1.0 to de-trim + nameplate replacement. Quarter panel also has a nameplate on front lower area. Then you have clear coat unless sprayed in single stage. Color sand and polish 2.0 hours, mask for overspray, tint and test spray color, labor to block base coat prior to clear coat (if doing a two stage paint process). Clean and detail, wheel alignment, and paint and materials. To my calculations this repair should be around $4,200 w/ paint and materials (@ $85.00 per hour). I am also not including bumper rubber fille and plate. Your estimate seems light my friend. I can send you a print out if you like on what the estimate should be.

Robbie

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Robbie, are you in the biz? It sounds like you know your stuff.

Like I said, I do feel comfortable with the shop, and they will be taking some pics to send me.

But your post does concern me somewhat, I will be talking with them soon, and I will ask a few more questions on the charges. I still feel that I am getting quality work, maybe he is just a fair deal and others tend to overcharge on exotics.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We went to 3 different places. all were between 1200 and 1400 the whole quarter needs to be painted and blended into the rear door

5. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I appreciate everyones input on this................ but on a side note, I think it's funny that if you pay to much, people have something to say about it, and if you pay to little people have something to say about it. LOL!

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Wow, car repairs are sure getting expensive, I am lucky I do alot of things myself.

I got my Tahoe fixed at the dealer, like I said, you can not tell there was an accident.

7. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Vince
    I see you are working hard at making friends here on F-chat!

8. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    LOL!

I like Vince........... He speaks his mind. Thats what its all about here, isn't it?

9. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Speaks his mind................seems more like being confrontational IMHO. Anyway back on the topic, good luck with the repair of your car. It pains me to see it that way.

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes.. I own and operate an appraisal company. I handle claims for many insurance companies. Some insure classic and high end vehicles. I am a very seasoned appraiser. In my area no body shop is going near a Ferrari for less than $85.00 per hour. That dent on the quarter is not an easy fix. The quarter panel wraps around 90 degrees to seat tail lamp grille. Also the aluminum is probably stretched. A shop doing restoration like that GTO looks great but its sheetmetal. Aluminum is a different material. They is special sprays that you apply so when you heat the metal it changes colors when at max temp. If aluminum is heated much it becomes brittle and loses its strength. Its also difficult to localize the heat. Heat speads very fast when working with aluminum. You heat the rear section and it spreads to the front quickly. They are also going to have to replace the inner coating on the quarter panel as well. Its heavy and rubberized. I would ask if your shop has aluminum certifications from ICAR and if they are certified from any car manufacturers. BMW, Jaguar, Austin Martin (mostly carbon fibre), and Benz have certification programs. They certify shops to work on the aluminum cars and they have the necessary equipment and jigs to complete the repair. Your repair is not rocket science but should be done by someone that know the tempermant of aluminum. Those are the shops to be considered when moving forward with a aluminum repair. Chances are they also spray Glasurit - because when working on german cars you have to be nuts to spray anything else.

Robbie

ps.. i would be able to tell what work was done on your Tahoe.. lol

11. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Wow!

Sensory overload! I appreciate all the info.

I think I will see what they say when I talk with them next.

12. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sorry about the overload.

R

13. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Also, not to take away from anything that you said, I agree.

The owner of this shop has experience working with and making aluminum panels for Lambos and Ferrari's, he actually told me a story about a panel they waited for from Italy that got accidentally thrown away, so they made a new one.

14. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Ah the old "catch 22"! Atleast you're getting taken care off in a timely fashion (hope I didn't jinx it! :D), that's what's important!

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Only those who merit consideration.
    Rgds,
    Vince

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Hope all works out well for you.

R

17. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    So JAYF lacks the merit for you to consider? :D

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes

If you require a more simple explanation - PM me.

Rgds,
    Vince

19. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I think I already know what you're gonna say. Something about a $5 disposable camera right!? J/K :D

20. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Why waste your breath/typing, smart-ass vince isnt worth it.

21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Regarding your diminished value claim, I have experience in this sort of work and to be honest with you, if you are not planning on selling the car very soon I would not bother.

Any major insurance carrier is going to see their only legal liability to their claimant with a property damage claim is to bring the property in question to a pre-loss condition. Carriers view diminished value claims as only a diminished value claim if you were planning on selling the car for 'X' amount in the very near future because the vehicle was either appraised at 'X' amount or a potential buyer offered 'X' amount and now that amount is diminished due to the loss in question.

If you advise an insurance carrier you are not planning on selling the vehicle any time in the near future, your vehicle has not lost any value because you have not, and are not planning on trying to find out what that value may or may not be in the near future. You are treading water with a big insurance carrier if you say you want to be compensated 'X' percentage in diminished value for a vehicle you do not plan on parting with for some time. This loss only affects the value of the vehicle when you go to sell it, and if you do not know when that is, you do not know what the value of your vehicle may or may not be in the future. There is no market speculation with insurance company payouts.

Personal injury claims are handled differently, but carriers still have a synical eye regarding many cases and their validity. Rightfully so in many cases. Minor impact soft tissue cases are undoubtedly the reason why insurance cost is high.

Reg,
    js

22. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    So, are you saying that I should discontinue my Chiropractic and Accupuncture Treatments!? :D

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You have a point there on the diminished value explanation. Here is another angle. A good way to accurately figure diminished value would be to bring your car to auction when an identicle car is up for auction as well. You would then set a high reserve that would be excessive (so no one walks away with your vehicle) and see exactly where your vehicles price point / highest bid is. Then compare it the other vehicles (highest bid) that was on the auction block. Take that bid and subtract yours. You now have a accurate deminished value amount that will hold up with insurance companies and court. Insurance company would also be responsible for charges to place vehicle on auction as well as other charges (pretty sure about that but not 100%). It's a royal pain in the ass but its worth it. Usually when the insurance company receives word that your car is going to auction to obtain its current value they settle. Be sure to disclose at auction exactly what type of repairs were done. Mileage on vehicles would also be a factor but that could be negotiated (ex. $.35 per mile over or under per mile). Am I off base on this?

Robbie

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The auction company route sounds like it would provide some good values - but I wonder if the actual dollars would be worth the fight with an insurance company and the time it would take to orchestrate the determination of value (auction etc).

So I ask - -
    What would one expect the diminished value to be on a car & accident like KENCO's? Perhaps a few thousand? More?

How about some of the nearly destroyed GTOs etc that have been rebuilt from little more than the last remaining bolt & SN? I suspect those accidents have not caused a diminished value. Thoughts?

Rgds,
    Vince

25. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It's tough to say ow much the value has been diminished. Thats the whole purpose of the auction route. I would not be surprised if it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-$10 for even $15 thousand. Maybe more / maybe less. About the cost of our 30k service. Thats why the insurance company argues the point. The auction tells the tale. As for your other point. You have to keep in mind that this sort of repair is not bettering the vehicle as a whole unit. Some of these rebuilt cars have major work done but have been made better ex. ground up restoration. Things get really exciting when frame / structure repairs come into play. Usually the insurance company would rather deem the vehicle total loss and offset there payout with a high salvage bid from one of our used parts friends (T. Rutlands etc..). They usually get around a 25 - 35% return. Higher if the vehicle was deemed a total loss to avoid a diminished value claim. Its tricky. Its always a good idea to have an agreed upon value with your own insurance company just in case the 3rd party carrier makes a terrible offer. You can refuse the offer and follow thru with your own carrier. Keep in mind... No diminished value claim with your own carrier. Usually there is a paragraph in the policy saying that you can't claim diminished value.

R