I hate everything! Some lady hit my TR!!! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

I hate everything! Some lady hit my TR!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by KENCO, Mar 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Mr. Chaiman,

Your posts are very interesting and informative.

....much better that the $5.00 camera argument.

Kenco...it may be too late, the insurance co. is already sending the check, yes ?

I hope it works out.

BTW, no wonder you told me your wife cost so much.....banged up Tahoe ! . Plus, I bet she bought a new pair of shoes to make herself feel better after damaging the truck :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

2. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Dont forget, it was "Disposable" :D

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I passed on a car with documented cosmetic only damage which was properly repaired (all new Ferrari parts) if you were not told it was damaged you would not have known, everything else was equal to the one I bought (price, service history, paperwork etc. ) the damaged one did have fewer miles 5K or so. I just didn't want a Ferrari that had had pieces replaced due to a accident so in my eyes there was a diminished value to the car, it had a story.

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Even though the check has been issued its does not close the door for diminished value. Funny my wife always finds a reason to buy a new pair of shoes or bag.. lol

Be well

R

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow, their are some VERY knowledgeable people posting on this thread. I'm just a wrench turner and shade tree enthusiast, not an authority. I can't speak about diminished value, but from looking at the pics of the body damage, this will be an easy job. When Aluminum is dented in or out from it's basic form, it stretches and relaxes, where as steel stretches and continues pulling in tension. That's why you can "pop" a dent out of steel, but you CANNOT out of aluminum. With aluminum you have to find a way to "shrink" the surrounding metal. The best way is to twist and mildly distort the surface structure to "soak up" the extra material length introduced by the dent. There isn't any undercoating or covering of the inner quarter panel in the area of the damage on your Testarossa so that's not a problem. If there was....some shops would use this as a way to hide a repair. Also luckily there is no real structural stress at the point of damage on your quarter panel, so a really good body man should be able to repair this damage very well. Values and Perceptions are important and do have some bearing on this issue, but the actual physical and mechanical repairs are not really that bad at all. As I said earlier, the paint matching will be the biggest issue. A top notch shop should be able to fix this up very well. It's a total shame that this happened. But hopefully things will work out to your satisfaction. I've had 2 very high dollar cars repairs in the past, one of them aluminum, one of them aluminum/steel....and using the best shop I could find, I was happy with the results. I guess I'm just hoping to put your mind at ease some what....because I know how stressful this situation is for you. It will be okay...

6. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Shamile, LOL

Let me give you my thoughts on this, you guys have really stretched this thing way out.

I bought the car about 2 years ago, got it for a good price, it needed lots of work, I have no records for it, except my own.
    I love the car for more than its dollar value, I will never sell it, I love to drive it, my investments are in better things.

If I get my car back fixed correctly and the paint is a good match, I am happy. I love the car for its heritage, for the heritage of Ferrari. So what if it has the wrong hose clamp on it, or a couple of chips, or its not concourse correct. I want to drive!

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Amen to that brother...

R

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Does this eliminate PDR methodologies? Are they actually 'popping' or shrinking the metal... or both?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54CIlUfyQXo

Obviously not suitable for KENCO's car...

Rgds,
    Vince

9. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Sorry to hear!
    That sux on such a beauty.

10. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #110 KENCO, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Vince, I have a guy who does just that, he repairs the dings in all my trucks at my business. Its really amazing.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Great for steel - any data points on aluminum?
    Rgds,
    Vince

13. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Kenco... that estimate is pretty shabby but the important thing is that the shop properly do the repair. If he under charges for the repair thats his problem. I will prepare an estimate and post it to show what the repair estimate should look like.

Be well...

R

14. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Vince, Never tried aluminum.

Robbie, don't get me sick.............. LOL, It's because of you I did not sleep last night.

15. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #115 Mr.Chairman, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is my version of the estimate matching labor rates.

Sorry about the sleep issue. You can clearly see a difference in the way the estimate is prepared.

R
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Some say that this isn't as bad, well it can be. I had a body shop paint three times my Testarossa, the engine lid and rear drivers corner just like you. A tech. closed the lid with a screwdriver right at the edge and dented the fender and lid. The body shop didn't get the paint done right after three tries so then I took it to another shop where the guys did it right, and it was over $5,000 only for painting the sheet metal was already fixed prior to that, but the dealership paid for it. Good luck.

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I am starting to hate you guys! lol!

Doesn't any one have a good story for me, like "I brought my TR in and they got it spot on the first time and everything went great, I got my car back in the time frame they told me, and it was actually less expensive".....................I don't hear any stories like that!

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Robbie, Why would you replace the emblems on the rear deck lid? Amongst other items like the glass to be removed?

19. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Usually the emblems break when removed or they have a self tapping post. Sometimes double sided tape. Nameplates should always be replaced. The last thing you want is a nameplate to fling off while driving. Now the quarter glass issue. They could mask around the glass but it is not recommended. When the glass is taken out you can fully clear the panel and edge. When you mask there is a chance that the clear will eventually break down at the mask line and start to chip away. Glass companies are usually called in to do the job. Its the standard when repairing exotics, new cars, and high end cars. It would be good to check stock and availability of glass (in case of an accident - precaution) and belt molding prior to removal.

Be well... lol sleep tight..

R

20. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I am going to stop by and check up on the car this afternoon, they have everything taken apart, and are starting the work.

What should I look for? Or what should I pay attention to? I do not think I will see them doing everything that you have spelled out, but I want to make sure I get good work on what they are doing.

21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Snap some pictures when your there and post them PM if you dont want to post. I just love the fact that so many people are chiming in on this. Bravo to the forum..

R

22. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There is nothing wrong with the original estimate. Yours is just a "worked " estimate that gets an adjuster a little something extra from the bodyshop for writing it. We can thank estimates like yours for high insurance premiums.

23. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ken
    You must take all this advice with a grain of salt. Fixed properly there will be no diminished value. A painter with a good paint system and a keen eye should be able to match that color within the quater panel without having to go into the door. It would make no sense to take out the quater window as that is not attached to the quater panel and would have no bearing on painting the quater panel properly. Just the molding would need to be removed. Keep an eye on what the shop is doing and dont accept the job unless you like it.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

We will see his results and come to conclusions as to how good or bad the work was done as soon as he gets his car back. The problem is that the Testarossa has single stage paint and the orange peel finish, I think he is in trouble and it wont be done right for cheap. Every single body panel that needs fixing will need to be completely painted in order to look factory, there's no spot fixing and painting on these type of older cars, I don't think.

25. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    JAYF, Thanks for your input.

I stopped at the shop just awhile ago, and everything seems good. Sorry I got so tied up in talking car with everyone there that I forgot to get pics. But the shop has been taking pics all along. so when I get some I will post.

Actually the repair is almost done, sans paint. The dent was bent back into shape and and a little skim was put on and then it was primed, also Roy is taking care of a lot of odds and ends that were issues he had found, at no extra charge.