I have had it with this piece of junk! | FerrariChat

I have had it with this piece of junk!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rudyF599, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun
    My childhood dream was to own a Ferrari!

I finally realized my dream 5 months ago (2008 Ferrari 599 with 21,300 km, full history, Ferrari checked). I worked for 20 years like a dog to be able to afford it..

Drove it less than 700 km. It's been in the garage 3 times so far. Every time parts are missing, it costs a fortune, and the car stays immobilized for weeks...

Result: I hate this piece of junk, i am selling it asap or sending it to the scrapyard... Ferraris are **** cars which are completely worthless... I am getting a Toyota...

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'm sorry to hear this but to be honest I would not want to own a ten year old Ferrari in Dubai

3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#3 Viperjoe, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2018
    The first thing you need to do is set aside your emotions, evaluate what has transpired and establish an objective action plan. Ferrari’s are far from ****. Missing parts?

4. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    You make no mention of the problems you have experienced. What do you mean by "Every time parts are missing"? The 599 has proven to be quite reliable. I have had my 2008 for 5 years now with trouble free motoring so far. At some point I will be required to carry out repairs and they will be expensive but that is part of ownership for which I am prepared. If you want a car that is virtually maintenance and trouble free then yes get a Toyota and enjoy your boring motoring.

Radu and 4re308 like this.
  5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Roger,

Welcome to the world of Ferrari! A Ferrari can be like being with a beautiful woman. You like the form but sometimes with that comes all the associated drama and pain. It’s a love hate relationship. Try not to be too hard on yourself or the Brand. There is something very special about these cars. Don’t let your initial experience dissuade you. The car will be sorted out and you’ll enjoy it. And I’m sure there will be more to follow. Good luck.

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    With such an in-depth analysis of your problems, how could we not sympathize?

Maybe you just need a new mechanic...or maybe a socket set?

7. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun
    Steering column leak, front suspension leak, back suspension leak, driver control module failure, .... all sorts of fun stuff...

I cannot even imagine what will happen when i have to change the clutch and the ceramic brakes next year.. it will probably cost 100,000$!! ..

Anyways, thanks for your messages and support. I will put the car up for sale when i get it back (4 weeks for the parts to arrive!!) and before it breaks again...
    What a waste of time and energy (and money)...

Bye bye Ferrari, hello Toyota Yaris!

Rs200tez, Viper830tt and Bertil like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Or maybe you could drive it since it's all fixed and realize you may actually have a decent car. There is a theory among Ferrari owners that preparing to buy a Ferrari should include having an extra 20% of the purchase price for maintenance, etc.

Boomhauer and brianweekes like this.
  9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Complicated mechanical things can break!

Boomhauer and grwyellow like this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Impossible to help without some details.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You bought a used exotic in Dubai and it's not been properly cared for? Shocker.

12. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like ToyotaChat is the answer for you. Sorry to see you go.

Yassa, precision360cs, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  13. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Great, creating more work for us now. The plus side? I own a Toyota Tundra. Should be easy enough ;)

Viper830tt likes this.
  14. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    How was the PPI report before purchase?

furmano, RussoJ and krazykarguy like this.
  15. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Sort it out. Enjoy it on the weekends! Daily drive your Toyota. Take a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

brianweekes likes this.
  16. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It's unfortunate that you worked so hard saving up to realize a dream, but - at the risk of stating something obvious - the true "cost" of a Ferrari is the care and maintenance. The purchase price is just the "price of admission" to the club. Some say it's like owning a real horse; only enjoyable if you love caring for and maintaining it. I see you only have a few posts, so not sure if you've been "lurking" or researching on f-chat for a while beforehand, but it's considered best practice within this community to have an expert technician to perform a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) on a car before you acquire it, which can give you leverage in negotiating the sale, or at lease prepare you for budgeting the near-term maintenance expenses. There are all kinds of trite cliches that get tossed around about exotic cars, such as "If you cannot afford a new one, you cannot afford a used one," and "The cheapest Ferrari always winds up being the most expensive Ferrari (by the time you sort it out mechanically)." Those cliches happen to come with a grain of truth. If you had your car well-inspected before purchase, then it's really unfortunate - and anomalous - that all these items failed right after purchase. But my sense is, a lot of your headaches may have been avoided by a good PPI. If you can afford to persevere, give your car a chance; once it's "sorted" and you have the chance to experience a true Ferrari drive, you'll understand what all the hype is about and hopefully have a rewarding payoff for your dream.

17. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    we sympathize. most of us were in a similar situation. unfortunately, this is the nature of the brand. while sorting it out will likely result in a better car, there's no promise there won't be an expensive repair some time down the road.
    possibly a Porsche or an NSX is a more trouble-free ownership?

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Yarischat beckons.....
    Looking forward to the rant.....

19. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have to admit that driving a Yaris with a stick was a lot of fun...

LittleLittleTiger likes this.
  20. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    If this is all true, and a real post, then the Yaris sounds like the perfect answer. :)

Yassa likes this.
  21. rudyF599

rudyF599 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roger Kastoun

The car was fully maintained since new at Ferrari in Dubai, and I had it inspected by Ferrari before purchase. Complete inspection and the report was almost spotless. I had the remaining issues fixed by the seller at his cost. And it wasn't the cheapest on the market, it was actually the most expensive one available when i bought it. So i definitely did not go for the cheap option! It took me 20 years of preparation so trust me, i did my homework... :)

And for the record, I can afford 10 Ferraris like it, so i can definitely afford to keep it... I just don't want to spend every minute driving it with my ear out to any weird sound and noise that i will hear next, wondering if i will be able to reach my destination, or if it will start when i turn the key. I thought by now, Ferrari would have figured out how to make their cars reliable... Apparently i was wrong..

brianweekes likes this.
  22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    How much for this "piece of junk"? :)

Lotaz likes this.
  23. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are lots of cars you can buy and have issues with even when they are new. It's the nature of buying a car you actually "enjoy" driving!

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    599 to F12 was a big leap in reliability. Same with 612 to FF and F430 to 458. You have to have patience and genuinely love the 599 era cars to put up with some of their foibles.

I'd suggest something like an F12 TDF. Rare, beautiful, and it will scare the living daylights out of you. Oh, and way more reliable than a 599.

25. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You mean something like this? I feel your pain and am trying to put some humor into your situation. Once you get it sorted, it's actually a fun car to drive!

Image Unavailable, Please Login