I have had it with this piece of junk! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

I have had it with this piece of junk!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rudyF599, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    what is a regular production car?

Golden Steed likes this.
  2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Apparently what it is NOT is something that goes very fast with a Mercedes emblem on it... o_O

4. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    your right...everyone thinks about Mercedes and a Yaris when they compare F,L,Mac. I'm out...

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't think anyone is talking about the Yaris as a valid comparison except the frustrated OP. :)

However, I do think cars like the SLS are compared to the 599 and F12. Front-engine, rear wheel drive, massively powerful, well-appointed luxury GT cars. An SLS has a certain wow factor to it that is in excess of your usual sports commuter cars such as the AMG saloons. Subjectively, I think the wow factor on any Ferrari is higher, but as a piece of engineering, you can argue that the performance levels and expense of certain Mercedes models put them unquestionably into the supercar category.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Boomhauer and anunakki like this.
  6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have to say, when I started buying supercars properly in 2002, my expectation/fear was the potential cost of issues. I’ve had over 50 different cars of all marques including an EB110, and the only issue I’ve ever had was a radiator split on a 599. When you see where the radiator is, I’m surprised they don’t split weekly for people like me who like to enjoy their cars properly, if it didn’t, it was just once, and while the job overall cost £8000 as they took the opportunity to do some preventative suspension replacements, I found it pretty reasonable.

I think if cars are well looked after, these days, any car, supercar or not, can be reliable as the next. Treat them badly, you’ll get issues, it’s natures way of teaching you to take care of your motor!

davemqv likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My Rolex is very reliable. It reliably loses one minute every week!

davemqv, phil the brit and JAM1 like this.
  8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Only a minute? Wow, you have a good one! Hehehehe.

9. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    EB110 is pretty sharp; did you ever have an XJ220?

10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The EB was a rocket when you had learnt it’s foibles, but terrifying too! Never had a 220, something about them I couldn’t get into back in the day, but i think only because none passed through the dealerships while I was having my ‘buy what u see’ phase that got very expensive! Had one come in I’m sure I’d have tried one for size!

Xtreme5053 likes this.
  11. ARH

ARH Rookie

Jul 18, 2009
    Califorway
    This thread begs the question, what is a steering column leak? Why is there fluid in the steering column?

Davesvt2000 and Streetsurfer like this.
  12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Mine gains 2 minutes a week. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Get it serviced !

Just had mine done ( £625 ) ... it is 12 years old and has only gained 10 seconds in the 4 weeks since i got it back.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  14. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Mine gains a minute each week, so between us we have the correct time. :)

15. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    car will be better off with another owner...

my 308 will be 40 years old next year, I've been its carer for the past 16 - zero regrets. Sometimes it just needs the right person with the right car.

thorn, Makuono, stavura and 4 others like this.
  16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great response.

Based on what I have heard over the years, Ferrari’s quality control problem started in the Fiat era. Not only were cars getting more complicated and production increased, but the accountants started doing the buying of the bits and pieces. Couple this with Spa’s general distain for mass customers and the Italian shrug of the shoulders, lead to fuse boxes melting, headers breaking, value guides leaking, and on and on.

I’ve always said it is too bad that Ferrari never cut a deal with Toyota. Ferrari designs ‘em and sends the plans to Japan. Toyota builds ‘em and then ships the cars to Maranello in the dead of the night.

Simple truth it is hard to build cars today on such small volume. You never gain the benefits of the learning curve, but your volume is too much to make custom hand built cars. If I ran Ferrari, and you’re probably glad I don’t, I would cut volume in half and double the price.

Nospinzone and Golden Steed like this.
  17. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Agreed! Mine new from the dealer reliably lost 2 minutes a week - after service it's been close to perfect.

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Recall early railroading days when engineers, conductors and stationmasters HAD to have accurate time in order that trains not only run on time, arriving and departing stations according to timetable but more important to avoid two trains trying to occupy the same tangent of track at the same time, going in opposite directions. So railroad watches were required to be accurate to not more than 30 seconds per week or four seconds a day. My Rolex is within that tolerance - fewer than 4 sec/day. Two years ago I noticed my dad's old Gruen 'Verithin' Pentagon Precision pocket watch in a bureau drawer. He got it in the 1920s and passed in 1980. I decided to have it serviced - CLA = clean lubricate adjust - by a master watchmaker in New York City. It too keeps time to a tolerance of about + 3.5 sec/day as it should since it is a 17 jewel chronometer movement
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I grew up thinking Rolex watches (and other auto's) kept consistent time, not accurate time, if that makes sense. Like, a Rolex Sub worn regularly will adhere to the same +/- pattern, but it will always be a little bit off. My Dad always said that quartz watches keep the best time but that they're boring. Haha.

But yeah, I agree with your point completely.

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Case in point!

21. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was told since I have a vintage Rolex it should not be serviced at all! Oh well, as everyone stares at me walking in late to a meeting, I'll just point to my watch and say, "vintage".

22. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Vintage watches can be serviced. I think what you are hearing but the persons are also not telling you is that if you have your vintage Rolex serviced by a Rolex dealer who sends them in then the parts you get are new parts. Also if something if your vintage watch has not genuine Rolex parts, ie an aftermarket band the Roles service will try and replace it or I heard will keep the aftermarket parts.
    I also heard if your Rolex has the plexiglass and it needs replacing then they will put a crystal in it since they don’t/May no longer have the original part.
    The biggest thing is they will polish your watch making or trying to make it look like new.
    All this replacing with new, non-period pieces will the devalue your vintage Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davemqv likes this.
  23. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I should say devalue for the people who will pay more for a period correct watch with patina.

davemqv likes this.
  24. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Independent watch repair places that specialize in Rolex will only do what you tell them and for the most cases the use Rolex parts... not on the little things like pins

davemqv likes this.
  25. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    But will your Rolex function properly when worn while driving a Yaris?

Will the performance of the Yaris affect the precision time-keeping of a Rolex? Maybe a watch with a Tourbillon is needed?

Sid

paulchua likes this.