I have HAD IT! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

I have HAD IT!

Discussion in '348/355' started by ernie, Mar 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phantom

Phantom Karting

Nov 11, 2006
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Charn G.
    I would go with a custom rad and help the rad shop you choose sell a boat load more to other member's in a similar predicament. You could probably turn a profit provided your design is an upgrade.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    aluminum radiators are great. you won't be sorry. It sucks how 500000 things need to be sorted on these cars to make them just right at times. It's like, why did Ferrari not do this in the first place? It's not like the car isn't already made by hand.

3. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    +1.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You know what Dave, your last post sounded more like an attack than advice.

As for my leaking radiator. I care about it and I care about fixing it. Because the last thing I need to do is over heat the motor and blow the head gasket. A wiring loom with gold pins on it will do me no good on a blown engine.

Now about the wiring harness. This is the second time you've mentioned it, and both times I get the impression that you are some how pissed at me for something you did. The first time I ever called to talk to you was to clear that issue up, and I thought we did? But I guess not. So let me clear the air.

1) You did NOT get that harness from me.

2) I took that harness out of my car a few years ago because it was causing me problems. That harness was as I got it when I got the car. I replaced it with another harness that got rid of the problem. For those of you wondering what the problem was, the wires for the crank sensors had broken off the back side of the pins, and some of the sheathing was cracking on the other wires. The thing was giving me huge misfire problems. So bad that the car wouldn't run, and once I found out what the cause was I had to jerry-rig the pins so I could get the car to fire so I could get it into my garage until I could get the replacement looms. That is the "repair work" Dave is talking about.

3) When I got rid of the loom I made it abundantly clear that is was junk. I even went as far as pealing back the rubber boots and expose the busted wires, and the "repair work". I did NOT hide anything from the person who got the loom. And again, you did NOT get the loom from me.

4) This is the second time you've pointed out that it came from my car. Insinuating that some how I'm at fault for the blown Motronic ecu's. Again I did NOT give you that loom. You did NOT get it from me. Matter of fact you and I had never even talked before that. It was your choice to use that loom, not mine. I in NO WAY deceived the person who originally got the loom from me, nor did I misrepresent the condition of the loom. The loom was to be cut up and used for parts. How you ended up with, and why you chose to use it, I have no idea.

I called and talked to you Dave because I respected you, and your many years of working on Ferrari's and mechanical expertise, and I didn't want there to be any bad blood. But now after your last post, that came across to me as an attack rather than friendly advice, I don't know anymore? Especially after your comment about this thread damaging the value of 348's around the world. If that wasn't an attack and finger pointing I don't know what is. And in case you haven't noticed 348 prices had been coming down all by themselves looooooong before I posted this thread dealing with my frustrations with my car, and my opinions on the build quality. And just in case you missed it, here is Luca di Montezemolo doing plenty of damage to the 348 with out any assistance from me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Kc9rdYxQA&feature=channel[/ame]

I would be VERY surprise if there is a person who has NEVER gotten pissed off at a car they have owned, and ranted about it. And that is what this thread was, me ranting about my car, and the fellas helped me get through it. The guys here know I have done, and continue to do, what I can to HELP the 348 world wide. I don't have to post anything about my car at all. But I do, and I try to do the best job I can when sharing my repair work. Look up how to fix something on a 348, on Ferrarichat, and it's a very good chance I will have posted something about it. I do what I can to help the 348 Brotherhood, not hurt it.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #230 AceMaster, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    I just want to say that I actually believe Ernie's threads on "how to fix xxx on a 348" actually increase the value of a 348, and gives someone who is actually afraid to buy one the confidence to actually do so, because Ernie's posts/threads demonstrate that a lot of things on the 348 that need repairing actually are not that difficult to do yourself.

Case in point: when I had that leak under my clutch, I was terrified to take apart my clutch to have a look. It just so happened that Ernie had taken his apart a few weeks prior, and Ernie created a remarkable thread, with very detailed instructions and pictures every step of the way.

I also called Ernie and told him how scared I was, that I had no mechanic background, never worked on cars etc...and he gave me a pep talk and told me to relax, "it's just nuts and bolts".

Well, with that pep talk, coupled with his tearing down a 348 clutch thread, I was able to take mine apart and repair it myself...for the ludicrous cost of....wait for it.....$15.....that's right, it was a $15 dollar rubber seal, that's all it cost me....how much would it have cost without Ernie's thread and pep talk? Likely $1000 or so.....a credit goes to everyone else who assisted me in that process as well....of course, the job ended up costing about $100 because I did all the rubber seals including the triple seals while I had it apart...but that's besides the point, it isn't about the money, I honestly would have been okay if it cost me $500, the point is I did the job myself in my own garage...as I mentioned in that thread, if you would have told me at the time of purchasing my 348 that 2 years after I buy it, that I will have the clutch apart laying on my garage floor ALL ON MY OWN, I would have told you that you are crazy....but guess what, that's exactly what happened, I did it myself with Ernie's and everyone else's assistance.

Also, Dave Helms, you assisted me with an electrical issue that I was having, which turned out to be an unplugged sensor which I ended up repairing myself...with your assistance...so thanks again very much.

So I want to thank Ernie, Davie Helms, Tim (2NA), and everyone else who gave me the inspiration and confidence to wrench on my 348 myself....and all of this is to emphasize the point that if someone that is in the market for a 348, that reads horror stories about the repair bills on them, and as a result is afraid to buy one, will hopefully come across Ernie's threads (and whomever else's that post "how to") , and even my two "how to" threads to see that someone with ZERO background can actually do some repairs themselves, and hopefully this will get them over that fear and add value to the 348 and help make their decision a "yes" on buying a 348 because the Brotherhood will have my back when something goes wrong.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel it important to very clear and very detailed in explaining this.

Ernie/Dave, both of you are valuable to the Ferrari community, please neither of you go anywhere :);)...and with all due respect to everyone else who are assets to the Ferrari community :)

6. tasty348

tasty348 Karting

Jan 13, 2006
    Ocean City, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Christopher and Amy
    I like the people that I met through owning the 348, much much more than owning the car. Non stop issues. That being said, loved my 512 and 550.

7. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    This is so true and probably the best post on this thread! I have met and now have the priviledge of calling many of them my friends. Although I love my 348 too :)

Much respect to Ernie and Dave and as Mike has mentioned you both have shared a wealth of knowledge to this site and helped so many of us. Please keep it up we need you guy's here!

Cheers

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ernie,

You got Dave all wrong. He trys to help. He is not trying to put a stick in your eye. Just take a step back this is all getting too personal. Think about the vision you want to have for your car and lets get there. Time and skills I got and the price is always right. Lets have some fun with it.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #234 davehelms, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
    You are COMPLETELY incorrect in your assumption and suggestion.

I have no dog in the fight, it makes no difference to me how the car runs EXCEPT it is a friends (pay special attention to that word) car, it has a problem and he is flipped out frustrated. Re read the first paragraph of my reply as it should spell that out quite clearly. Your standing too close to the situation and are taking it too personal. It's a car... nuts and bolts.... After 40 years of doing this do you think I get wound up about a flipping car that I have no stake in that is 1500 miles away? No chance of that, I walk away from owning cars that would have you peeing yourself and money sitting on the table if I think for a moment it would cause friction in any way in my life. Ferrari is a passion (and a career) for me, has been all my life. I was taught a valuable lesson about 13 years ago regarding what is REALLY important and it has nothing to do with Money or Cars! Family, Friendships and Principal, those are the only things that matter to me, for damn sure make no mistake about that.

My advise has been consistent since the beginning of your ordeal Years ago but you chose to head in a dozen different 'expensive' directions rather than follow it. No logical, rational person could ever make even a remote connection in 'blame' regarding a used harness, that is ridiculous and never crossed my mind. The harness/connections are discussed because it is the Elephant in the room you refuse to accept is standing there. You crawled under it to do the headers, over it to do the intake manifold, around it to do the injectors but there is one common factor in each of those jobs... "IT" is there. All of the tasks mentioned are worthy and in convoluted way's, justifiable but have little to do with an end goal.

Eric, Fatso, Myself and a half dozen others, including a number of your friends have tried to help explain this to you but..... Don't attack the messenger because you don't like the replies. When I step back and review the subject, none of the advise or suggestions you asked me for over the years has been followed.... the car isnt fixed either. Doesn't matter one whit's worth to me, this business has a way of helping one grow some pretty thick skin over the decades. You keep asking and I will keep giving you what I feel is advise with your best interest in mind.... and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Unless the radiator is pissing out on the floor as fast as you can dump it in.... that amounts to a NON issue in the big picture. You have a temperature gauge, fix the car, loosen the radiator cap and go for a ride. A blown HEADGASKET???? Where the heck did that come from?

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Fair enough then Dave.

I will get to the pins more than likely when I pull the engine for the major, and I'll be taking care of the radiator/s then too. I find it much easier dealing with stuff when you have an empty engine bay to work in, and all the room in the garage to walk around the engine.

11. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Man...I understand Ernie's frustration. Funny (or not-so-funny) what a car can and will do to you if you care enough about it, as the great majority of us to about ours.

Hang in there, Ernie, cliche' though that sounds.

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Whew! Are we getting close to the resolution of this issue yet?

Get a plan
    Fix the radiator
    Do the electrics
    Beat Lightenings

Remember Ernesto, we Stooges do not need an excuse to monkey with someone else's car! Just say the word, get the beer and stand back. :D

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #238 davehelms, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Considering the history of this Problem Child... you might want to reconsider the order in which things get done. The way I see it......

*The cam belts do not have a timer on them where they will go Boom on a given day, they can wait a little while. RE, a secondary concern.

*You have a host of 'wants' with this engine, all of which I understand. Those 'wants' should only be considered IF it is behaving and proves it will run correctly.

*Although it is easier to repin with the engine out, it is very doable with it in place with the newest tooling and advances we have made as of late. Eric, Fatso and a host of others have proven this can be done quite effectively.

*If the harness is repinned with the engine in place, the car can be test driven a good deal prior to engine removal. These test drives will define a clear direction regarding the 'want list' which require the engine be removed to perform.

I propose that the 'Test and Verify' method be employed in this case, thus leaving you open to make informed choices with the lump laying on the floor. If T&V is not in place you will be doing any other work based on assumptions which leaves far too many variables in the equation. Just a week or two of daily driving will answer all the questions. If it behaves during that period... spending money a proper cam belt procedures or even expanding that into your wants list can be done with clear vision and knowledge.

The order I am suggesting things get done will only add a hour or two to the overall time spent but will remove 85% of the variables in the equation. Remove the variables and it makes spending money on Proper Servicing procedures or upgrades a whole lot more palatable. It is for these reasons I see the cam belts and radiators being secondary concerns. Remove the term "Easy" from this discussion as it has no place here. Focus on the smallest details one time, that is all I am suggesting...... there is method to my madness.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fixed for you Dave ;)

15. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    That sounds like a solid plan. Much better to know what you have before taking it apart. Good luck Ernie.