I have HAD IT! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I have HAD IT!

Discussion in '348/355' started by ernie, Mar 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i felt the same way soon after i bought my 355. week after week something new broke. it was literally in the shop every other week for 3 months. i drove it once, something broke, took it to the shop, fixed it, drove it once.....repeat. frustrating. at one point i thought i would have to replace every part in the engine bay to get it reliable. but finally it stopped breaking. you gotta keep pluggin and chuggin until that day. :)

2. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Come on BT, you cant tease us all like that without giving up the goods!
    Nd

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Think of all the bennies to the Brotherhood from Ernie's car breaking so often. Every time it breaks the Brotherhood gets a well documented tome on how to fix that particular little niggling problem. Next installation will be how to R&R and repair a radiator. The Brotherhood would be much less than it is without Ernie's 348 and its trials and tribulations. If not for that, I would recommend Ernie get a Maranello, but they are boringly reliable, and you would lose all his 348 documentation. Plus it is no fun having a car with a documented 5 year belt change that does not require removing the engine.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Pull the radiator, go to a radiator shop and have it fixed.

5. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Firstly...im hardly ever in this section...

I really feel sorry for Ernie!! man that sucks!!

but let me ask you guys something..... why would you put up with all these issues?? I have had my Stradale since 04 never ever had a problem with it.. only goes into the mechanic once a year for fluid change for about $1200.00 and every third year an addl $1500.00 for belts...

im just curious... not trying to add insult to injury.

Is the car that much more appealing than a later model 360 or 430?? i mean the price point for the models are getting closer and closer... and when you factor in annual service costs the 430 sure looks good (with no belt service)...

Anyways..hopefully Ernie will be ok once he comes down from the mountain. Never met him, but seems like a nice guy... good luck man!!

6. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No problem Paul, we can hook up sometime that weekend, late Saturday morning would work for me. I'll shoot over to whatever hotel you're staying at. PM me those details and your contact info.

7. Phantom

Phantom Karting

Nov 11, 2006
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Charn G.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Worst case scenario have someone build a custom rad, which would still be significantly cheaper than $2300.

8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    All of you guys who are complaining about your cars breaking...you are doing it all wrong!

Park it in the garage...wax it...and every once in a while look at it...

There you go! Best way to own a ferrari and not have to worry about it. Should you need to move it, buy a trailer... ;)

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #84 wax, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm kicking my bid up to $2

It was there just a minute ago . . .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hopefully Ernie has calmed down a little. :D:D

Brother, remove the radiator, have it repaired then refit and be on your way. :D:D

**I know thats not the REAL issue. You are sick of **** breaking on the car**

11. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I have the videos

12. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Just run the car on 1 radiator. It can be done.
    Pull the bad one out to make the car lighter, and plug the inlets.
    Better performance.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Good luck. I don't have a 348 but I do read some of your threads, I've enjoyed them. Thanks.

14. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ernie,

You've had the car for over 9 years so I'm guessing you payed around $70-80,000. Can you live with that depreciation? Can you buy something else for the selling price of your 348 that will give you the same (driving and pride of ownership) pleasure?

I met you on the SoCal GTG back in October and while I was already planning to service my F355 myself you gave me even more confidence.

Fix the rad, keep the car and enjoy having a bright red Ferrari in your garage, that was your dream after all.

Rob

15. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. striker27

striker27 Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    andy
    I love these posts such as I bought a 355 or a 348 stuff went wrong broke right away. Then finally I got it right.... What a great car!!!

This guy has been at it for almost a decade now!!!!!

If he was married to this car he would have left it after maybe what 3 years!!! If it was his wife he probably would have killed it and dismembered the damn thing and buried it out in the woods!!!

Just patch it up and chuck it!!! Why beat yourself up. Figure you really have only maybe 40 years to have fun with expensive stuff and then the health starts going downhill. I am saying 25 to probably 67 some guys push it into the 70's. You have officially wasted a decade on this car almost a quarter of fun time!!!!

RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!!!

17. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Look, the RH radiator is only about $600 brand new and original Ferrari -- but the issue isn't the cost, I suppose. Ernie, quite understandably has just reached a breaking point. I get it.

Whatever your choice "E", we'll support you (after the excommunication, of course).

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #93 vvassallo, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Um, someone go poke Ernie and see if he is still breathing...

He's over there in a crumple. Take a long stick and just tap 'em.

Careful he bites and he might be sick.

Check his mouth, you see any foam?

Uh, Ernie? You in there man?

It's okay dude, we all have our dark days. Let's just fix the bi.tch and move on. :)

19. Gngrbred

Gngrbred Rookie

Mar 10, 2011
    Waterloo Ontario
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I am new to this forum. I read your complaints and am curious your thoughts on a car I am looking at. 2004 360 spider FI with 14 K miles. Asking price 110 000. Belt service just completed, 60% clutch remaining and clean carfax. What are your thoughts? Any comments are appreciated.

20. chatham33

chatham33 Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Voorhees, NJ 08043
    Full Name:
    Joseph P Smith
    Ernie-have not been on the forum for some time. Last year got very enthuiastic about a Mondial or 348 and started reading all the Forum posts. Please believe me when I say I have great respect for all you guys, your love of the Mark and your patience and deep pockets. I love this Forum because it really educated me on Ferrari ownership. I truly love the beauty of the cars; with enough reading I decided a Ferrari was NOT for me. I would never be able to deal with all the repair issues and constant maintenance and, frankly, the costs associated with it all. And I do all my own work!!
    I mean in no way to piss off any Ferrari owner. I simply decided ownership was outside my ability to tolerate keeping the prancing horse alive and well. And, Ernie, I had read many of your posts and the help you gave to a lot of people here.
    For me, I went back to a Corvette, a C5 6 speed LS1 convertible. Yes, the 348 outstyles the C5. And yes the club is certainly not so exclusive. BUT: it is a damn fine car at a fraction of the ownership costs and it will hold its own with most toys out there and not drive me to the poor house. A good decision for me.
    So the reason I am on here is to say thank you to your published reaction to all the stuff about 348 ownership you have endured and that you have affirmed for me my conclusions. You went a lot further than I would have ever been able to tolerate as an owner. Park it for awhile and let the dust settle. The 348 is a beautiful car and the light of a new day down the road a bit might put it all in perspective.

21. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    You're a smart fella.....You don't know how many thousands ahead you are!

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I will definitely let the brotherhood in on the secret around a week from Monday. That is when the new vehicle should be arriving in Florida. I will say that it is an exposed frame hand built 2 seat mid-engined roadster with a choice of either Porsche Type IV power (what I chose), or Subaru flat four power. Total weight should be sub 1500 pounds, and with lots of options and ability to have some parts customized for a total cost of under $25k it is pretty tough to beat. I even have some cupholders, and a few 12V power sources along with a killer stereo, a remote brake bias knob, and relatively inexpensive consumables.

:)
    BT

23. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    How true is this?

C'mon Ernie I know you love her, fix her, take her for a drive and all will be forgiven.....I hope?

24. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ernie, dude... you know that if this was me, you'd be telling me to suck it up and get in there and fix my car! This is not a high-dollar issue, just get the radiator fixed and move forward, in your Ferrari 348!

25. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Put it out of it's misery Part it out.