I heard talk of coming hybrids but this is ridiculous: Ferrari going full electric | FerrariChat

I heard talk of coming hybrids but this is ridiculous: Ferrari going full electric

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by bitzman, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  2. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    My only bummer thought about Ferrari going electric is the lack of proper noise....

I have faith that, sooomehow... Ferrari will find a way to make sound...beautiful sound out of an engine less car. Perhaps theyll tune the whine of the gears and squeal of the tires into a symphony of awesomeness...

(Im trying to ignore that they couldnt figure out how to make the 488 sounds good:/ )

Please Ferrari...find a signature sound for EVs!

(Dont make us stuff palying cards in our spokes)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    is this an April fool's joke?

Tifosi Dude and Jakuzzi like this.
  4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Yup.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    ...i feel like this day is actaully gonna happen sooner than we think:/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The only way an all electric Ferrari can sound like it has an engine is to cut grooves in the streets so when the tires rollover them they play an Italian soundtrack like the roads that play music. Otherwise, it will sound like any other car that uses the Rimac quad motor/controller/torque vectoring setup.

MalcQV likes this.
  7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Exhaust Speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Solid State likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    More likely in a true four motor all electric torque vectoring system, Ferrari will acoustically mount the motors to provide more noise, control the software to change the pitch and then route sound tubes with active and passive amplifies into the cabin. People will call it "visceral" and prefer it over what we like today. :)

stavura, jumpinjohn and WestCoasta like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I feel the same, maybe future folks will be debating what car has the sweetest electric 'whirl up' instead of exhaust note?
    ;(

WestCoasta likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    blasphemy, why you speak the devil's tongue?

Solid State likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Must be something I ate or perhaps just a nightmare. There is no better machine than a Ferrari NA V12 and there likely never will be. Feel blessed to own it. I won't be buying any car assisted with an electric motor but a foul wind is blowing our way.

paulchua and jumpinjohn like this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha! Yes!

13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ferrari is becoming a completely different company, as far as im concerned, they can take their electric car and shove it up their *******s,,,lol

sixcarbs and Rob-0987 like this.
  14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If Ferrari wants to continue selling cars, they will have to adapt to the coming changes to the automobile. Other wise, Ferrari as a car company will cease to exist.

stavura, BOKE and DrewH like this.
  15. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Electric cars have no soul. The scary reality is though that many countries have set dates already where no internal combustion vehicles can be sold. It is coming whether we like it or not. If Ferrari doesn't sell electric cars there will be no Ferrari company soon.

sixcarbs and Rob-0987 like this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #16 tbakowsky, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    For the first time, electric cars out sold its gas powered cousin in the Netherlands late last year. Not by a huge margin mind you.

Edit..it was Norway, not the Netherlands, although they are creeping up there.

DrewH likes this.
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I wonder if people lamented the lack of soul in model T’s as compared to horses...

Change is hard.

Besides, wasn’t this thread an April Fool’s trick?

18. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Tesla's don't have a soul. They are for wannabe trendies. And no this is not an April fools joke! This is just going to pick up speed rapidly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/cars-and-trucks-sold-in-b-c-by-2040-will-be-zero-emission-government-1.4185356

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    By the time guys in Sourhern USA give up their big V8 trucks and electric takes over the streets I’ll be worm food anyway.

Solid State likes this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Norway HEAVILY SUBSIDIZES electric cars..this causes nonsense headlines to occur as if Electric cars are somehow chosen for their innate greatness, they are not...

and, look at the actual sales numbers,

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-market/almost-third-norways-car-sales-2018-were-electric

from link above;

...Almost a third of new cars sold in Norway last year were pure electric...

...148,000 cars sold in 2018 in Norway....

So, about 49,000 cars sold in Norway were pure electric in 2018...hardly worth mentioning at all, that's why the 'news' reports percentages, because the actual numbers are quite insignificant... worldwide in 2018- 86 Million new cars were sold... so, "in percentages, ~6 / 10000s of the new cars sold last year were electric (well, if Norway was the whole world...)

really meaningless, many cities in the USA have more new cars sold each year that ALL of Norway...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jul/02/norway-electric-cars-subsidies-fossil-fuel

In Norway it's all about the (government) money!

While motorists are typically subject to punitive levels of taxation, those who buy a purely electric vehicle are rewarded with a string of incentives worth thousands of pounds. Buyers escape heavy import or purchase taxes and are also exempt from 25% VAT. They also avoid road tax, road tolls, pay half price on ferries, get free municipal parking in cities and can usually use bus lanes.

Also from link above:

Despite the enthusiasm in Norway, achieving its 2025 target could still be difficult. Most are second cars, often used by commuters looking to escape road tolls. Figenbaum says it may not be economic to build a charging infrastructure that will meet demand at peak travel times. “Users will thus confront a trade-off between daily cost and time savings, and longer stops and charging queues on long distances,” he says.

Many Norwegians also suffer from “range anxiety”, clinging on to a gas-guzzling SUV large enough to carry their cross-country skis and other kit to the clean air of their mountain cabins.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha, although, In seriousness, I agree with you completely. Perhaps once only electric are allowed, hopefully older cars are 'grandfathered' in. It may make these cars all the more special.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    We will not phase out ICE engines in my lifetime or my children's. Ferrari is presently pushing to keep the NA V12 and keep it unassisted as they argue it is the core of the company. The production and use of fossil fuels in the US is going up not down. There are threads here about upping the speed limits and even a US autobahn. Do not agree with upping the ethanol content in gasoline though. Ferrari will offer electrics over time but every single Ferrari ever built has an ICE engine in it. Going to need gas for a long time. I think we're pretty safe!

stavura, italiafan and paulchua like this.
  23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    ICE engines will be around for a long time. However the production of new ICE engines is limited. A few companies will hang on as long as possible.

With more and more electric cars hitting the road, performance will be nothing to pay extra for. They will all do the same numbers. The only thing that will separate the exotics and the mainstream will be the name. Just like shoes or a purse.

Ferrari already knows this, which is why they are shifting to being a luxury brand rather then a performance car company.

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Tom,
    I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I truly believe once everything is electric - performance will largely be commoditized.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I certainly hope you are right!!